Thread: Steelers veterans get rest of the bye week off

Threads : 691

Default Steelers veterans get rest of the bye week off

Steelers veterans get rest of the bye week off
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    In what is a first for a Steelers coach during a bye, Mike Tomlin has given his players the rest of the week off and will not have them report back to work until Monday.

The exception is that rookies and practice-squad players will report tomorrow and Thursday to work with the coaching staff.

The Steelers (5-2), who have won four in a row, do not play again until Nov. 9, a Monday, in Denver, which means they even have an extra day next week to prepare for the Broncos.

This is the latest the Steelers have had a bye since 1990 --- the first year the NFL implemented the off week --- when they were idle Nov. 11. In 1999, they also had a bye on Oct. 31 after their seventh game.

But Tomlin and former coach Bill Cowher have always required the players to report for at least one or two days of practice or light workouts during a bye week. However, Tomlin met with the players this morning and dismissed them for the rest of the week.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09300...#ixzz0VBAT3sH4
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers veterans get rest of the bye week off

Sounds like a decent idea. Some of these guys really need to recharge the old hearts and minds a little. The Vikes game was pretty physical, so it can only help.

I think Tomlin is remembering his first season here, when the guys had nothing left in the tank come the first playoff against Jacksonville - and that there was no second playoff game that year.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have normally struggled mightily after the break...so maybe this is good?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like a decent idea. Some of these guys really need to recharge the old hearts and minds a little. The Vikes game was pretty physical, so it can only help.

I think Tomlin is remembering his first season here, when the guys had nothing left in the tank come the first playoff against Jacksonville - and that there was no second playoff game that year.
    Hopefully, they all become football fans this weekend and they listen to the lovefest these mediot ***gots have for the Broncos, Patriots and Bengals. That should light a fire under each and everyone one of them to come back ready to dismantle the Broncos and Bengals in consecutive weeks.

We beat Minnesota and nothing. The Patriots beat the Titans and Bucs who are a combined 0-14 and the Pats are back with a vengenace . I don't get it . It's to the point now I can only stand to watch Steeler games and nothing in between because it makes me sick .

Threads : 88

All I've heard from the mediots about our game is how lucky we were. They've completely meiised how we, too, had to overcome officiating. They also appear not to recognise that it was Saint Brett of all Favres who handed us 14 points.

It should make some good motivational stuff for our chaps.

Let the colostomy bag hit the air conditioning system.

Threads : 122

I can't stand listening to most talking head ****wads who get woodies over this player, that player, this team, that team, and just completely shove their heads up their chosen team/players asses. I ****ing knew if we happened to beat the Vikings it wouldn't be that we beat them in the media's eyes, it would be that the Vikes beat themselves or the refs handed us the win.

You watch....if the Broncos can beat the Ravens, and we roll in their and knock off their undefeated asses.....it won't be that we went in there and beat them. It will be the Broncos beat themselves, or they weren't for real and we were the first real team they played. Or it will be that the refs handed us the game. Even if we get one questionable call after getting ****ed over by the refs on 10 calls over 3 quarters. If in the 4th qtr we get a call, it will be shown in slow motion 10 times, the announcers will call it out and say what a bad call it is. To me, the announcers and media that cover the NFL are ****ing clueless.

I agree with a previous poster that I don't even bother watching **** other than hometown writers/sports guys.

You wanna know why 90% of the people *****ing about the tripping call are doing so....because the announcers of the game made a point to slow it down and say what a ****ty call it was. YOu wanna know why 98% of the people that ***** about us getting all the calls in the Superbowl vs. teh Seahawks do so? Because the entire ****ing game fat *** John Madden sat their on his fat cheeks and said that all the calls we were getting were ticky tacky. They were bad calls. Ben might not have been in. He has no reason to ****ing hate the Steelers does he? Tony Seragusa who called this game vs. the Vikings has no reason to ****ing hate the Steelers being an ex Raven does he? Shannon Sharpe has no reason to hate the Steelers being an ex Raven does he? Roidney Harrison has no reason to hate the Steelers being an ex cheater does he?

**** all those loads of ****. ONly person out there worth listening to on a national level is Merrill Hoge.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; Oct-27-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    We have normally struggled mightily after the break...so maybe this is good?
    Didnt happen last year.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The time off will be good IMO.... We start a pretty brutal stint after the bye with games against Den, Cin, and Balt over the next 4 weeks... Now is the time to separate from the rest of the division.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 407

Wish he would have gave them the week off...in Denver though. Get acclimated.

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I can't stand listening to most talking head ****wads who get woodies over this player, that player, this team, that team, and just completely shove their heads up their chosen team/players asses. I ****ing knew if we happened to beat the Vikings it wouldn't be that we beat them in the media's eyes, it would be that the Vikes beat themselves or the refs handed us the win.

You watch....if the Broncos can beat the Ravens, and we roll in their and knock off their undefeated asses.....it won't be that we went in there and beat them. It will be the Broncos beat themselves, or they weren't for real and we were the first real team they played. Or it will be that the refs handed us the game. Even if we get one questionable call after getting ****ed over by the refs on 10 calls over 3 quarters. If in the 4th qtr we get a call, it will be shown in slow motion 10 times, the announcers will call it out and say what a bad call it is. To me, the announcers and media that cover the NFL are ****ing clueless.

I agree with a previous poster that I don't even bother watching **** other than hometown writers/sports guys.

You wanna know why 90% of the people *****ing about the tripping call are doing so....because the announcers of the game made a point to slow it down and say what a ****ty call it was. YOu wanna know why 98% of the people that ***** about us getting all the calls in the Superbowl vs. teh Seahawks do so? Because the entire ****ing game fat *** John Madden sat their on his fat cheeks and said that all the calls we were getting were ticky tacky. They were bad calls. Ben might not have been in. He has no reason to ****ing hate the Steelers does he? Tony Seragusa who called this game vs. the Vikings has no reason to ****ing hate the Steelers being an ex Raven does he? Shannon Sharpe has no reason to hate the Steelers being an ex Raven does he? Roidney Harrison has no reason to hate the Steelers being an ex cheater does he?

**** all those loads of ****. ONly person out there worth listening to on a national level is Merrill Hoge.
    And if the Ravens beat the Broncos and then we beat the Broncos we still wont get any credit...it will be that the broncos weren't really that good to begin with.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am glad Tomlin is taking a different approach this year. It'll give the vets a chance to forget about things for a week, and come back refreshed and focused.
    Tomlin should go "The Program" on Mendy and make him carry around a football the whole week and then tell the people of Pittsburgh that if any of them bring back Mendy's football, they get his next game check
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 47

Good time to have a bye in nearly the middle of the season. The weather is starting to turn now and our D will only get better. We still play KC, Cle, Oak after the break.

sjdrewk

Agree with Mister. Well said with passion. I like that..

And I agree with Tomlin. With all the hurts, maybe that's what they all need to do is take a break.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Winning like they did against the Vikes and getting the week off should be good for the guys. A rested and focused Steeler team with confidence is bad news for Denver. The Win against the Vikings set the tone for the second half of the season, the Broncos game will serve notice to rest of the league that we are the Champions for a reason.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Winning like they did against the Vikes and getting the week off should be good for the guys. A rested and focused Steeler team with confidence is bad news for Denver. The Win against the Vikings set the tone for the second half of the season, the Broncos game will serve notice to rest of the league that we are the Champions for a reason.
    Excellent. I like this. Well said. And I agree.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information