Thread: September 11, 2001, Where were you....

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default September 11, 2001, Where were you....

when P.O.D. released their amazing CD "Satelite?"

Got ya!!!!

(That CD really was released on 9/11/01)

But seriously....

I was working out of my home office that day, glued to the TV, in shock and awe! I tuned in when one tower was already hit and saw the second plane hit the second tower as it happened! Horrible! Even watching TV this morning, I still get a lump in my throat!

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: September 11, 2001, Where were you....

Smack in the middle of working through my first College induction as a President/Governor. I took my VP to a pub in town (The Green Dragon) for a liquid lunch and the news broke on the TVs around the place.

The situation was a bit, shall we say cautious, working in a place with 20,000+ enrolments 40-50% of which are from a Muslim background: There was always the potential for things to get a little heated since people were more than slightly anxious.

As it transpired, all was well apart from a little argy-bargy that Security sorted out quickly.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 48

Believe it or not,I was on vacation that week and was supposed to go to NYC that very morning.I ended up waking up late,turned on the TV,and saw the 2nd plane hit.Someone must've been on my side then.That day was VERY surreal.Still remember all of the department stores that were closed because of bomb scares.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was at 32,000 feet enroute from Ft Lauderdale to Atlanta... We started getting ACARS messages from the company asking us to verify certain information and asking if everything was alright... We were then told to not open the cockpit doors under any circumstances regardless of what was told to us... We started getting tidbits of the news and what was happening from the company and via other radio frequencies we monitor for general communications... We then started the whole circus act when the FAA began landing every aircraft wherever possible... We were ordered to "put down" in Jacksonville, and it was a complete mess with total confusion with the arrival corridors oversaturated with arriving aircraft... During decent and arrival, they were scrambling fighters out of Navy Jax... I have no problem telling you that it was all so very "surreal" and scary.

Once we got on the ground, the ramp areas were completely packed with other flights, and it took a good 4 hours before they had the opportunity to move the portable stairs to our aircraft to deplane the passengers and crew... The mess continued... Between trying to contact family, friends, and the company, it was mass chaos.

Luckily, I had an ex-sister in law that lived in Jacksonville at the time, and she put me and the captain up at her place since there were no hotel rooms available and we basically couldn't contact the company due to the whole situation of irregular ops. Once we realized that we would be grounded for several days, the company released us and said we could go home if we could find transportation. She let us borrow her other car (which I returned a few weeks later), and we drove back to Cincinnati.

Unfortunately, I received extremely sad news... I knew the first officer (Tom McGuinness) that was working American Airlines flight 11, and Mike Horrocks, who was the first officer on United flight 175... I attended both services, and did many of my fellow pilots. The aviation community can become rather small when you progress through years of training and schooling... You sorta keep track of folks, meet-up on layovers, and talk every so often.

... This is a very sad day... This is a very angry day... This is a very tough day to remember.

****, my eyes are getting a little moist just describing it in this post.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Unfortunately, I received extremely sad news... I knew the first officer (Tom McGuinness) that was working American Airlines flight 11, and Mike Horrocks, who was the first officer on United flight 175... I attended both services, and did many of my fellow pilots. The aviation community can become rather small when you progress through years of training and schooling... You sorta keep track of folks, meet-up on layovers, and talk every so often.
    Did you happen to know Victor Saracini?He was the pilot on 175.He actually lived about 2 miles from me and we kept in close contact with his wife for a bit after the attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Did you happen to know Victor Saracini?He was the pilot on 175.He actually lived about 2 miles from me and we kept in close contact with his wife for a bit after the attacks.
    No, he was thru the system before my time... He was the other pilot on board, but was older.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NKy, that is an amazing (not sure that's the appropriate adjective) account of 9/11 from a pilot's perspective. That must have been terrifying to be in the air and getting those transmissions.

I was in college and sleeping in (as I didnt have class until after noon on Tuesdays that semester). Shortly after the second plane hit, my roomate barged into my room with the phone... It was my mom telling me to get up and put on the news. She also warned me to avoid campus that day, which wasnt a problem as classes were being cancelled by that point.

Like most Americans, I remained glued to the tube for hours on end... although I did have to work that evening. I remember the eerie sight of the sky being so blue and empty after the flights were grounded.

Everything so quiet that day in Kent OH, when compared to the absolute chaos in Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    That must have been terrifying to be in the air and getting those transmissions.
    Not really... It was more or less a sense of total confusion... When we first started getting word that the World Trade Center and Pentagon were "hit", we first thought "nuke"... At that point in history, no one really ever considered hijackers using aircraft as guided missles... How things have changes since then...

sjdrewk

That was one of the most surreal days in my life. I woke up turned on the tv to watch ESPNews and saw the President on ESPN. I was half asleep and wasn't sure I was seeing things correctly or had the right channel on.

Threads : 1817

I woke up and had breakfast. I was getting ready to downtown Pittsburgh for a meeting at the time and my Dad called me and told me to turn on the TV. Right at that moment was when I saw the 2nd plane hit the world Trade Center. Almost like it was a movie or something. It just didn't seem real. Found out within an hour or so that Pittsburgh was shutdown, so I didn't have to go anywhere. My biggest fear is living close enough to a Nuclear Power Plant where if anything would go wrong I'd be wiped out like Hiroshima. That plane that crash landed in Shanksville from what I understand flew over the power plant after all of the news you saw fighter jets and helicopters everywhere, especially being wedged between the Pittsburgh International Airport and Nuclear Power Plant
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 158

I was in the USMC and stationed in Japan at the time. Needless to say the next 72 hours were a complete blur.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information