Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments by Reds Announcers anout Pirate Finances

Threads : 24

Default Comments by Reds Announcers anout Pirate Finances

Chirs Welch, Reds color man, made the following comment on the telecast of the Pirate vs Reds game tonight:

"If you want to know why the Pirates continue to be so bad, consider this: While the Reds were signing a big time prospect like Aroldis Chapman, the Pirate ownership was busy making sure that their own financial debts were taken care of with revenue sharing money. It is the talk of baseball..." Welch went on to say that while the Pirates may not have done anything legally wrong, they have violated the spirit of the revenue sharing plan.

I guess I had never heard the case made like this before. What's the real deal about this?

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Comments by Reds Announcers anout Pirate Finances

Don't know how often you listen to the Reds broadcasters, but I catch them all the time since I live here in Cincy... Welch is a bit of an idiot... sorta like Ed Bouchette is with the Steelers...

... Take what he says with a huge grain of salt... He's just voicing his personal opinion, which from what I have been able to figure out, is not the majority of those that matter and make decisions.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 413

and I'm sure he knows as much about it as I do.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I, in general, agree with him actually. I think that the Pirates did violate the spirit, although not the letter, of the revenue sharing "law". It certainly is unrealistic that it was intended to be a way for owners to pay off their debts...the fact that the Pirates have used it for such, I do believe, is questionable.

Listen, I even wrote an article after the draft about how this front office has done much better, but honestly, the Pirates still continue to be the ****-ups of major league baseball and they dont really do much, if ANYTHING, to help themselves in this regard.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As far as procuring talent at the minor league level, they are doing a good job. But they have the PR savvy of a bull running through a china shop. I'm not one to say they need to appease the fans, but they definitely need to go out and add a pretty good pitcher in the off season. And please end the Zach Duke experiment!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I, in general, agree with him actually. I think that the Pirates did violate the spirit, although not the letter, of the revenue sharing "law". It certainly is unrealistic that it was intended to be a way for owners to pay off their debts...the fact that the Pirates have used it for such, I do believe, is questionable.

Listen, I even wrote an article after the draft about how this front office has done much better, but honestly, the Pirates still continue to be the ****-ups of major league baseball and they dont really do much, if ANYTHING, to help themselves in this regard.
    Yeah, Ben, I pretty much agree; it's a real stain on Ownership's so-called committment to putting available resources back into the development of the system. They are going to take care of themselves, and asusme no risk whatsoever, before they fully commit to rebuilding the Pirates. If you loan the team that you own a sum of money, and then devote revenue sharing money intended to promote competetive balance, to paying yourself back, you really should just sell the team. To me this is not a Smizk-like, igorant rant about increaseing payroll. It seems to contradict the very core of what Nutting claims they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    As far as procuring talent at the minor league level, they are doing a good job. But they have the PR savvy of a bull running through a china shop. I'm not one to say they need to appease the fans, but they definitely need to go out and add a pretty good pitcher in the off season. And please end the Zach Duke experiment!!
    Yeah, I am not sure what the best route is for them here. With them likely garnering the 1st overall pick next year, the Pirates could be well on their way to procuring their future power bat at 3B (Alvarez would move to 1B most definitely) with Anthony Rendon. However, that is not going to come without a price. If the Pirates could get a player who would come relatively cheaply who has upside I think they should make the move, but really I think its going to be about finding another complimentary bat as well. I'd love to see the Pirates add Jayson Werth (yes I know it wont happen) to our outfield with Anthony Rendon arriving in another year or so after that...it would make for a pretty good lineup. Again, though, as you indicated, pitching will be the biggest thing and the Pirates may just have to trade for some.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    Yeah, Ben, I pretty much agree; it's a real stain on Ownership's so-called committment to putting available resources back into the development of the system. They are going to take care of themselves, and asusme no risk whatsoever, before they fully commit to rebuilding the Pirates. If you loan the team that you own a sum of money, and then devote revenue sharing money intended to promote competetive balance, to paying yourself back, you really should just sell the team. To me this is not a Smizk-like, igorant rant about increaseing payroll. It seems to contradict the very core of what Nutting claims they are doing.
    I am not quite sure about all that. However, it does seem to me to violate the spirit of revenue sharing (which I think will be revisited in the next CBA).
    Hidden Content

Threads : 31

The one area I can directly criticize ownership/management is their inability to place a competitive bid on Chapman. The guy is that 'Top of the rotation' talent the organization lacked. As it turns out he was less than a year from the majors. I doubt we would outbid the Reds but at least place a bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker100 View Post
    The one area I can directly criticize ownership/management is their inability to place a competitive bid on Chapman. The guy is that 'Top of the rotation' talent the organization lacked. As it turns out he was less than a year from the majors. I doubt we would outbid the Reds but at least place a bid.
    He struggled as a starter, though...its as a reliever that he had a good amount of success. That is a lot of money for a reliever, if that ends up being what he is.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I am not quite sure about all that. However, it does seem to me to violate the spirit of revenue sharing (which I think will be revisited in the next CBA).
    Yeah, it's speculative, I know, but it just bugs the hell out of me that our owership group "lends itself' money and seeks repayment from revenue sharing money, when they are still in such need of bringing talent into the system. It could very well be the case that they used "the loan" for reasonable, baseball development purposes and then just "paid themselves back." But at the very least, couldn't they have held back on repaying themselves until such time as the team was more stable/competetive?

Threads : 197

Which of their own financial debts did they pay off? There doesn't seem to be any evidence of that anywhere. The financial statements don't show any reduction in debts beyond required payments.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Which of their own financial debts did they pay off? There doesn't seem to be any evidence of that anywhere. The financial statements don't show any reduction in debts beyond required payments.
    This ^^^

What the Reds announcer said is pretty redundant. It's been something we've discussed here now, a ton of times and the fact is the Reds announcer presented ZERO facts to back up any claims mainly because they are false claims.

It's a was a strong move by the Reds to sign what looks like a relief pitcher to a big time contract. Were all other 29 MLB teams paying off mystery debts instead??

Way to continue beating a dead horse, buccoman
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    It's a was a strong move by the Reds to sign what looks like a relief pitcher to a big time contract.
    FWIW, thier plan is to have him in the starting rotation next season... But who knows...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 94

Itís common knowledge that he Pirates were in financial despair at the time. It also has been noted that the team was tapped out and could not get a loan from a conventional source. So in fact one could argue that Nutting saved baseball in Pittsburgh with the loan he floated to the team. Without his loan the team could have/probably would have had to file for bankruptcy. He should be revered like Mario in this town.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information