Thread: Forget Dixon, it's all about defense

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Forget Dixon, it's all about defense

Forget Dixon, it's all about defense
    By: Mike Bires
    Beaver County Times
    Sunday September 12, 2010

PITTSBURGH — All eyes will be focused on Dennis Dixon. Really, the focal point should be the Steelers’ defense.

To be sure, Dixon has a lot to prove. He’s starting today only because one of his fellow quarterbacks is on suspension and another is out with an injury.

[IMGL]http://i54.tinypic.com/nq3hg1.jpg[/IMGL]There are some who believe Dixon will fail miserably in just his second pro start. There are some who believe he’ll be just fine.

However, providing he doesn’t self destruct with a rash of turnovers, what Dixon does against Atlanta shouldn’t matter much if the defense does its job.

Two years ago, the Steelers ranked first, first and second in the NFL’s three defensive categories. That’s first in total defense, first defending the pass and second in stopping the run

Last year, those numbers dipped to fifth, 16th and third.

Many of the Steeler defenders — defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau included — have been quick to point out that those 2009 statistics weren’t all that bad. But really, there were too many late breakdowns in games the Steelers should have won. It wasn’t close to typical Pittsburgh defense.

More than any other reason, lackluster defense contributed most to the Steelers missing the playoffs.

Beginning today, the defense has a chance to redeem itself.

Inside linebacker James Farrior says the defense is “locked and loaded.”

Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee) and defensive end Aaron Smith (shoulder) are back from injuries. Cornerback Bryant McFadden, a starter on the Super Bowl XLIII championship team, is back. Nose tackle Casey Hampton and free safety Ryan Clark have new contracts.

In Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, James Harrison and even the aging 35-year-old Farrior, there’s not a team in the league with better linebackers.

Providing there aren’t any serious injuries, there should be no excuses. It’s time to dominate again.

And with an inexperienced quarterback like Dixon starting today, there’s no better time for the defense to rise up.

It won’t be easy. The Falcons have plenty of firepower in quarterback Matt Ryan, running back Michael Turner, wide receiver Roddy White and tight end Tony Gonzalez. Those skill weapons operate behind an excellent offensive line.

But if the defense is as good as it believes it is, the Falcons won’t light up the scoreboard. And the Steelers will win regardless of how Dennis Dixon plays.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...t-defense.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Forget Dixon, it's all about defense

While this is true, especially after today's results, I got to say that Ben is surely missed. Dixon was outright mediocre the entire day. I almost fell asleep watching this game, because a dixon/ariens led offense is as fun as watching paint dry.

Only 3 more games until Ben comes back. If Ben was in this game, the Steelers would have won 31-3.

Threads : 49

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While this is true, especially after today's results, I got to say that Ben is surely missed. Dixon was outright mediocre the entire day. I almost fell asleep watching this game, because a dixon/ariens led offense is as fun as watching paint dry.

Only 3 more games until Ben comes back. If Ben was in this game, the Steelers would have won 31-3.
    I agree foslrock. The whole first half I'm thinking "This game should be 10-0, 17-0." Atlanta's defense looked horrible, what happens if the Steelers play a team that actually covers the WR's?

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Our defense, namely the secondary, faltered late in the game again.... Not a good sign IMO.

... We cannot cover, nor tackle, when it comes to our secondary.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 91

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    While this is true, especially after today's results, I got to say that Ben is surely missed. [HIGH-LIGHT]Dixon was outright mediocre the entire day[/HIGH-LIGHT]. I almost fell asleep watching this game, because a dixon/ariens led offense is as fun as watching paint dry.

That's like saying that slamming your nuts in a car door stings a little!

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock
    [HIGH-LIGHT]because a dixon/ariens led offense is as fun as watching paint dry.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    That's like saying that slamming your nuts in a car door stings a little!
    That's more like it!
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information