Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: comments about game

Threads : 182

Default comments about game

It is weird no penalties on the falcons all day long. Except for 1

Then in OT they get a penalty on the KO -- interesting indeed -- a huge break for us.

Then we finally get a holding call 1st one all game long right for us? thank goodness.

Don't know if you all remember the bears game from last year the steelers ran the same play I believe it is called counter gap only they had Johnson whose a great blocker pull into the hole instead of #68 (LG chris K). Against the bears same result rashard goes for a big gain. Again same result. Great blocks by johnson and ward and great patience to observe in the hole by Rashard before making his cut upfield and then it was just speed. The play was detailed on NFL matchup this AM and it is interesting the same play was used to win the game. I wonder if it was run at all during the game I'll have to check.

what I liked:

Jeff Reed way to battle on a 52 yd FG that was a huge momentum lifter!

Decent containment by DL and LB on rush -- but we can do better especially woodley he needs to rush with outside containment in mind when he's got containment assignment several times Ryan was able to duck outside to his right we need to rush with smartz.

Dixon did not take off and get killed by the falcons D.

TP what a play. Was that a called play by design or was that TP freelancing I tend to think the former since McFadden broke deep. Great design by DLebeau.

a W indeed!

overall great job on the run stuff by Defense and Timmons sure does play better when he has 2 good ankles.

No TD's by ATL -- nice job Defense.

What i did not like:

2nd and 5 from 40 and you call a pass just ridiculous and Dixon has to get rid of the ball. Now granted those of you old enough to be watching since 1970 suffered for several years of bradshaw and this was dixon's 2nd game in the NFL. Not bad. He needs to work (obviously) on his underneath throws. He'll get it in time.

Darn an injury to Starks I hope he is ok. I did see orlando Pace at the OSU game yesterday on TV might we get him back as insurance or is he washed up? -).
    Looked like ankles I never know how long he'll be out.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Default Re: comments about game

reed ****ed me off with that miss and ruined troys thunder

Threads : 440

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    reed ****ed me off with that miss and ruined troys thunder

Reed's not getting the big contract he wants if he keeps missing game winning FGs...

Threads : 413

1. No f-ing way should we try a 55-yd field goal with 22 sec to play in the first half. Punt the ball inside the 20. Atlanta only needed about 15 ids to get into field goal position if we miss which is EXACTLY what they did. If we're up 9-6 late in the game, it changes everything Atlanta does.

2. 3rd and 1 with 50 sec to go and AGAIN our offense can't produce. Fake the inside rush and let Dixon bootleg around right end. Big gain IMO.

3. DD didn't lose the game for us which was a positive. He still needs a lot of work throwing the ball. Other than the long pass to Wallace and a couple to Hines, he never reminded us of Ben.

4. They showed a clip that said our OL outweighed the Falcon's DL by over 50 lbs yet we still couldn't get off the ball and control the line of scrimmage. I'm thinking Chuck Noll's approach of smaller and quicker linemen might not be such a bad idea.

5. Pouncey looked very good and seemingly had no issues at all.

6. Until Troy's pick, I thought he looked pretty rusty in this game. That was a great read on his part.

7. All in all the OL protected Dixon pretty well.

8. Is there anyone who can cover Wallace on a fly? Don't think so.

9. The defense played the run very well and shut down the offense, but I wish they would cover a receiver instead of a zone. And welcome back B-Mac.

10. Don't know if my heart can take 3 more weeks of this.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ahh my heart is healthy. I love these kinds of finishes. What is and isn't steeler football is debatable but part of it is these emotional finishes. Your ****ting your pants win or lose. I love it. The great thing is is we make it outnof these 4 games alive and you are adding a major talent to this already good team. Our stick rises considerably.

Threads : 60

Thought the first series of plays in the first quarter looked like Arians knew what he was doing and then he had Dixon pass when I thought it wasn't needed or just the fact Dixon threw at the receivers shoes. reminded me a lot like Kordell.

Dixon still can't locate the open receivers and for instance, Randel El waiving his arms that he is open and very open at that. Wallace had a couple of steps on his guy too at the time.

I thought for the most part the o-line did well.

Not once was our rookie Pouncey noticed for one bad play.

James Harrison was held as always but finally got one call.

Farrior needs to step aside for Fox

Suprisingly to me, Hood looked like a force out there when he had his chances.

I was impressed that Johnson got to play fullback for a little bit.

No touchdowns but Ike was giving too much cushion as always.

Mendenhall finally came up big and I'm glad for that. One of these days he is going to spin into a helmet and lose the ball.

Dixon looked like an inexperienced quarterback and I give him a D+.

I thought the Falcons played into our hands.

Special teams did well in my opinion.

Reed isn't getting a big contract if he can't kick when the game is on the line.

I thought the refs favored the Falcons when they spotted the balls.

I seen Ike running his mouth and giving the guys the shoves as always.

Lamar needs signed by our team.

Timmons was impressive.

Mc Fadden looked up in down at times but, still better than Gay.

I'm probably too hard on the defense because the final results were, they allowed no touchdowns.

With the way our O-line was protecting Dixon, i would have had Batch in the game the start of the third quarter.

I will say, maybe with time Dixon could improve but when I see him constantly throwing weak passes that guys have to craw on the carpet and still not haul them in Dixon, needs a lot of work.

We will need to put touchdowns on the score board these next three games like any game you play and I don't see dixon being that guy.

Figures Troy is the only one that can intercept a pass on this team.

No surprise Gay let on slip through his hands.

Glad we won and had we not, my opinion or grades wouldn't change very much or at all.

Threads : 691

1. No f-ing way should we try a 55-yd field goal with 22 sec to play in the first half. Punt the ball inside the 20. Atlanta only needed about 15 ids to get into field goal position if we miss which is EXACTLY what they did. If we're up 9-6 late in the game, it changes everything Atlanta does
    Sorry Ex, I totally disagree. Tomlin must have saw something in warm-ups to make that call (it was very close) Sometimes you have to take a chance and it was very close to working out.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Sorry Ex, I totally disagree. Tomlin must have saw something in warm-ups to make that call (it was very close) Sometimes you have to take a chance and it was very close to working out.
    I though it was a good call. It's aggressive but I like that. Seems like he had a little extra starch in his shorts unfortunately he is horribly inaccurate. Hind site is 20/20 but since we won it's tough to blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I understand that and Reed had the wind at his back (or so it seemed on TV) but I still think that the risk was too great. They were playing fairly conservative in trying to not let Dixon implode which was probably the right thing to do in his very first game, much like they did with Ben in his first year. I don't care how good of a kicker you are, a 55 yd FG is not easy. Take the 6-3 lead and go to the locker room.

Let me ask another question. How many times have you seen a team run out the clock at the end of the half? Why not throw 2 or 3 bombs? Maybe you complete it, maybe you get an interference call. The reason you don't is because you don't want to give the opponent a chance for field possession because anything is possible.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I though it was a good call. It's aggressive but I like that. Seems like he had a little extra starch in his shorts unfortunately he is horribly inaccurate. Hind site is 20/20 but since we won it's tough to blame them.
    I was screaming about it at the time. My buddies in the bar said I was correct. Well, actually after he missed they were saying it.

Threads : 3263

I like the FG attempt... Reed made a 50+ yd try earlier, the weather was good, field conditions was good... It just didn't work out... If he had made it, no one would be questioning anything.... JFC, it was a gamble and we lost, but still a good gamble eitherway.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I expected Dixon to win this game on his own (just like Ben) and he didn't!

Dixon should have completed every pass (just like Ben) and thrown no inteceptions (just like Ben.) I mean seriously, who the **** does he think he is? And WTF was Dixon doing on that missed FG that could have cost us the game!

Dixon, you're not the next Peyton Manning!!!
    Last edited by (419)BlackNGold; Sep-12-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Threads : 691

I guess what I mean is,in a close game, between two evenly matched teams, that you have to take some chances. I would rather take a chance on Reed making a long field goal, than say Dixon throwing deep into the secondary on a second and seven.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

I think if Ben was our QB, we would have taken it to the Falcons and the defense might have even done better with the more rest that, Ben and the offense would have afforded them.

Glad to see Hines as the constant player and with every game catch he makes he, adds to his consecutive games with a pass caught and he leads the league with that title or stat.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    I expected Dixon to win this game on his own (just like Ben) and he didn't!

Dixon should have completed every pass (just like Ben) and thrown no inteceptions (just like Ben.) I mean seriously, who the **** does he think he is? And WTF was Dixon doing on that missed FG that could have cost us the game!

Dixon, you're not the next Peyton Manning!!!

He should have been reading a book on, " How to throw to an open receiver and not at the ground. "

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information