Thread: NKy's "Hillbilly Thoughts" Of Week #1

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NKy's "Hillbilly Thoughts" Of Week #1

These are NKy's thoughts/observations from the first week. They were taken throughout the game and are not scientific or stat-based in any way... Just observations as the game progressed...

- Can't the change-up the opening play? A run to the right side is getting old.

- Nice to see some "power football" with Redman on the opening drive.

- They did a nice job of building Dixon's confidence early on in the game with play calls.

- First drive of the game looks like "Steelers football".

- Dixon runs way too early when pressured.

- Reed is a moron, but is usually money on long FGs.

- Woodley's interference call on the first drive was because he fell down into the WR.

- Nice defensive pressure on the opening drive.

- ST penalties suck when they back you inside the 20.

- Dixon looks lost when pressured.

- Sepulveda's punts look fantastic.

- Pressure on Ryan makes for a nice day with the secondary.

- Special teams suck so far in the 1st qtr.

- Tentative offense in the 1st qtr, 1st & 15, and 2 running plays? Low pass at the ankles by Dixon results in a punt.

- The Atlanta "no huddle" shakes-up the Steeler D at end of 1st qtr.

- Michael Turner is a good runner.

- Timmons' rush coverage gives me a woody.

- Dixon may be tentative, but the WRs need to get beyond the sticks in the 2nd qtr.

- This game is turning into a defensive battle.

- Woodley looks weak in pass coverage during the 2nd qtr.

- Nice pressure by Hood at the 9-min mark of the 2nd, makes secondary look good.

- Steelers look one-dimemtional without any passing by Dixon at the 8-min mark of 2nd qtr.

- Dixon looks good with passes to Miller across the middle.

- Pass to Ward was not low at the 5-min mark of 2nd qtr. Ward just fell down, it was a nice pass.

- Dixon's INT at the 4-min mark of 2nd qtr was woefully underthrown.

- Secondary looks weak without a pass rush. No coverage whatsoever.

- Atlanta's drive late in the 2nd qtr was killed by dropped passes and a missed kick, not our defense.

- Dixon seems to like throwing to Miller.

- Can't blame Reed for missing a 55-yd FG, that is long, and the "freeze" doesn't work.

- Tomlin calls a "mean" timeout when icing the kicker at the end of the 1st half.

- Our secondary looks weak in coverage... Repeatedly.

- Secondary cannot tackle whatsoever. On Gonzales's catch at the 11-min mark of 3rd qtr, 3 people missed him.

- Atlanta's FG drive at start of 2nd qtr was all on our weak secondary coverage.

- Dixon looked like a strong arm when he hit Wallace at the 10-min mark for 52 yds.

- Dixon showed composure when hitting Ward on the scramble. It allowed a FG by Reed.

- Ike plays too far off the ball, it leads to receptions by the offense.

- Harrison is really scary when he gets a sack, at the 3-min mark of the 3rd qtr.

- McFadden plays better coverage than his counterpart on the other side.

- Completely a defensive battle with 2 minutes left in the 3rd qtr.

- Starks goes down at end of the 3rd with Jonathan Scott as his replacement. It's too early in the season for line changes, and Scott has practiced mainly on the RT side, not left.

- William Gay looks better in situational play, but still can't hold onto the ball.

- In 4th qtr, Dixon cannot throw outside of the hashmarks at all. Behind on all throws.

- Ward on back-to-back receptions makes Dixon look good. Totals 49 yds.

- When we can complete passes, it opens the lanes for Mendy to run.

- Pouncey is blocking downfield, and looks like a long-time pro.

- Dixon still looks uncomfortable on 3rd downs. Not reading progressions downfield.

- Reed is still money when a drive falls short.

- Tomlin is showing alot more emotion on the sidelines.

- The officiating is aggravating me, just as it did during last season.

- Clark cannot cover Roddy White. He's given-up several receptions.

- Defense is falling apart in the 4th qtr. No good pass coverage, allowing Atlanta to go down field.

- Is it a matter of conditioning? Or just first game? Or same old Steelers defense?

- The wheels have fallen off the wagon in the 4th qtr again. Coaches to blame? But the players just aren't performing.

- Troy makes the day brighter with a pick within 2 minutes of play.

- Yellow font should be banned from the GDT!

- Power running is a good thing when you can pull it off.

- Reed is good most of the time, but not on this attempt. I still like him for averages.

- The defense seems to be falling apart the longer they are on the field.

- I hate NFL overtime rules.

- Can Mundy get the **** outta Randle El's way when he's fielding a punt?

- Mendy's run to win the game was fantastic. Great run of 50 yds.

- It should never have gone to OT, so I am extremely worried for next week.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 413

Default Re: NKy's "Hillbilly Thoughts" Of Week #1

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    - Starks goes down at end of the 3rd with Jonathan Scott as his replacement. It's too early in the season for line changes, and Scott has practiced mainly on the RT side, not left.
    The very next play is a pass and the end actually beat Scott but he recovered and kept the rusher out of the play. Pretty impressed with that and something that Starks would NEVER have been able to do.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 60

I loved the power running. What annoucer was it that had no problems telling us he loves the Falcons ?

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Starks goes down at end of the 3rd with Jonathan Scott as his replacement. It's too early in the season for line changes, and Scott has practiced mainly on the RT side, not left.
    Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    The very next play is a pass and the end actually beat Scott but he recovered and kept the rusher out of the play. Pretty impressed with that and something that Starks would NEVER have been able to do.
    Scott also knocked Abe into the LBs at least twice. He will prolly go back to being the swingman next week and Hills will start. But there are almost no players anywhere in the league who are as immobile and play like they have their feet in concrete as Fatt Maxx does. Really anxious to see how Hills does with this chance.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dude is so fast and quick. He looked great in the run game against Atlanta

He looked weak all game. Harrison did too, so him being beaten by a step or 2 multiple times

- Can't blame Reed for missing a 55-yd FG, that is long, and the "freeze" doesn't work.

He almost made it and had the leg for it. Still was a terrible game management call. too good of field position to give up with over a minute left and a 3 point lead and every average and stat badly against you.

- Tomlin calls a "mean" timeout when icing the kicker at the end of the 1st half. When we can complete passes, it opens the lanes for Mendy to run.

You aren't mean unless you're spitting or stuffing the refs pocket with a rule page Jim Mora had a woody talking about how mike Tomlin is so "cool". LVG threw up in his mouth a little

To be fair, not many could. I saw Troy getting burnt by White twice. Ok, maybe not burnt but it was his guy to cover and he was running after him . If Clark is covering White, something went wrong though

Absolutely! If I could find a way to disable it!

**** NKy.. that was a book and a half ...lol I liked it. It was like a short version of PBP. A GDT re-cap
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I loved the power running. What annoucer was it that had no problems telling us he loves the Falcons ?
    had to be Jim Mora Jr. since he coached them
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

These are NKy's thoughts/observations from the first week. They were taken throughout the game and are not scientific or stat-based in any way... Just observations as the game progressed...

[HIGH-LIGHT]Let's has fun!!![/HIGH-LIGHT]

- Can't they change-up the opening play? A run to the right side is getting old.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Wouldn't want to change the tried and true, would we? A yard and a cloud of dust is such a romantic notion.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

- Nice to see some "power football" with Redman on the opening drive.

[HIGH-LIGHT]6 carries all game. Something tells me BBA (Butt Boy Arians) isn't quite sold on the notion of "power football".[/HIGH-LIGHT]

- Dixon runs way too early when pressured.

[HIGH-LIGHT]OTOH, he had 2 official carries on the day. I think he went to great pains to play out the game plan. But it wouldn't necessarily hurt to let him run if it makes sense. DDix still needs to work on his hot reads.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

- Sepulveda's punts look fantastic.

[HIGH-LIGHT]He won the ST game ball by default today.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

- Pressure on Ryan makes for a nice day with the secondary.

[HIGH-LIGHT]But they play way too far off their key. OK, OK, so they don't get behind us. I know, I know, bend don't break. But, might this have just a little to do with how puny our INT numbers have been for the last couple years?[/HIGH-LIGHT]

- Special teams suck so far in the 1st qtr.

[HIGH-LIGHT]We have to play at least even with the opponent on ST all the time[/HIGH-LIGHT]

- Tentative offense in the 1st qtr, 1st & 15, and 2 running plays? Low pass at the ankles by Dixon results in a punt.

- The Atlanta "no huddle" shakes-up the Steeler D at end of 1st qtr.

- Michael Turner is a good runner.

- Dixon may be tentative, but the WRs need to get beyond the sticks in the 2nd qtr.

- This game is turning into a defensive battle.

- Nice pressure by Hood at the 9-min mark of the 2nd, makes secondary look good.

- Steelers look one-dimemtional without any passing by Dixon at the 8-min mark of 2nd qtr.

- Dixon looks good with passes to Miller across the middle.

- Pass to Ward was not low at the 5-min mark of 2nd qtr. Ward just fell down, it was a nice pass.

- Dixon's INT at the 4-min mark of 2nd qtr was woefully underthrown.

- Secondary looks weak without a pass rush. No coverage whatsoever.

- Atlanta's drive late in the 2nd qtr was killed by dropped passes and a missed kick, not our defense.

- Dixon seems to like throwing to Miller.

- Tomlin calls a "mean" timeout when icing the kicker at the end of the 1st half.

- Our secondary looks weak in coverage... Repeatedly.

- Secondary cannot tackle whatsoever. On Gonzales's catch at the 11-min mark of 3rd qtr, 3 people missed him.

- Atlanta's FG drive at start of 2nd qtr was all on our weak secondary coverage.

- Dixon looked like a strong arm when he hit Wallace at the 10-min mark for 52 yds.

- Dixon showed composure when hitting Ward on the scramble. It allowed a FG by Reed.

- Ike plays too far off the ball, it leads to receptions by the offense.

- Harrison is really scary when he gets a sack, at the 3-min mark of the 3rd qtr.

- McFadden plays better coverage than his counterpart on the other side.

- Completely a defensive battle with 2 minutes left in the 3rd qtr.

- William Gay looks better in situational play, but still can't hold onto the ball.

- In 4th qtr, Dixon cannot throw outside of the hashmarks at all. Behind on all throws.

- Ward on back-to-back receptions makes Dixon look good. Totals 49 yds.

- When we can complete passes, it opens the lanes for Mendy to run.

- Pouncey is blocking downfield, and looks like a long-time pro.

- Dixon still looks uncomfortable on 3rd downs. Not reading progressions downfield.

- Reed is still money when a drive falls short.

- Tomlin is showing alot more emotion on the sidelines.

- The officiating is aggravating me, just as it did during last season.

- Defense is falling apart in the 4th qtr. No good pass coverage, allowing Atlanta to go down field.

- Is it a matter of conditioning? Or just first game? Or same old Steelers defense?

- The wheels have fallen off the wagon in the 4th qtr again. Coaches to blame? But the players just aren't performing.

- Troy makes the day brighter with a pick within 2 minutes of play.

- Power running is a good thing when you can pull it off.

- Reed is good most of the time, but not on this attempt. I still like him for averages.

- The defense seems to be falling apart the longer they are on the field.

- I hate NFL overtime rules.

- Can Mundy get the **** outta Randle El's way when he's fielding a punt?

- Mendy's run to win the game was fantastic. Great run of 50 yds.

- It should never have gone to OT, so I am extremely worried for next week.
    It was a good win. I think 3 wins is completely realistic w/o Ben. But, we need to hold serve at home. OTOH, it's v. Baltimore... we don't give up home court against the division!
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 29

IMO Timmons was the best player yesterday. He was all over the place.

As for Woodley and Harrison, let's just say they aren't made for pass coverage. Not sure what you guys expect. They play the run well and pas rush like mad emn. Be happy with that.

I know Roddy White caught like 13 balls but you can see the difference B-Mac makes compared to Gay. He was right there in coverage on most of those.

Overall, to hold that team to 9 days a lot. They'll probably average 24-27.

Offensively, well let's just say we did enough. Some better Qbing and that game is not close IMO but we won and Dixon made some plays when he had too. Of course 3 passes hit DE/LBs in the chest so maybe the football gods were with us.

I thought Arians called a good game. He was hamstrung by an inexperienced QB and bad field position.

Max may have been our most indespensible OL. I doubt he's back before November. On another note, did you see the size of his foot when they were carting him off? JFC I've been on smaller fishing boats.

Anyway, warts and all we're 1-0. Enjoy it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information