Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Titans Week!!!

Threads : 691

Default It's Titans Week!!!

This week the Steelers take to the road to a face a very familiar foe thr Tennessee Titans. These two teams go way back,all the way back to 1970 when the Titans were the Houston Oilers.
    The Steelers lead the series 42-30 (25-11 home,17-20 road,3-1 playoffs.) These teams were division rivals from 1970-2001. In the late 70's the Oilers could legitimately be considered the second best team in football. As someone who lived through these days,I can pass on to you younger posters,that the Steeler/Oiler rivalry was every bit as intense as today's Steelers/Ravens one.
    Even though the Steelers and Titans haven't been in the same division since 2001they still have played each other 6 times since 2002( 2-4)
    The Steelers won the last meeting 13-10 in O.T. in the season opener on thursday night. There are enough players on both teams left from the 2008 game in Tennessee,31-14 Titans, Remember the Titans,mostly fat *** Lendale White,disrespecting the terrible towel? that some bad feelings could come into play. Forgeting all of that,the Steelers will need to bring their A-game to win this one. Vince Young,what ever you may think of him as a quarterback,is 9-2 since taking over the starting job last season,and there is Chris Johnson,last seasons offensive player of the year,who is no doubt one of the top two backs in the league. He's a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Well, this is week two in life without Ben,so we'll see what happens.

Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 440

Default Re: It's Titans Week!!!

Titanic task: Timmons must help curtail explosive back

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lawrence Timmons
    Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Lawrence Timmons answers to "Law Dawg," and the moniker that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin gave him in 2007 is now more than just a play on his name.

"He's the new sheriff in town," fellow inside linebacker James Farrior said. "I feel like it's his time this year."

The emerging Timmons figures to be a central figure Sunday when the Steelers try to corral Chris Johnson.

Johnson is the reigning NFL Offensive Player of the Year, and the third-year running back is out of the blocks quickly in his quest to rush for 2,500 yards this season.

Timmons and the Steelers shut down Michael Turner in a 15-9 win over the Falcons, but Johnson, who gashed the Raiders for 142 rushing yards and two touchdowns Sunday, presents a different challenge.

"Both of them like to cut back, but the speed between the two is night and day," Timmons said a day after he registered 11 tackles, including three for a loss, in the Steelers' season opener. "(Johnson) is a guy that can take it to the house. Not saying Turner can't either, but speed kills."

The good news for the Steelers? They have held Johnson to 126 rushing yards and a touchdown on 31 carries in the two games they have played against the 5-foot-11, 191-pounder.

The not-so-good news: Johnson has cracked the 100-yard mark in 11 consecutive games and averaged 141.1 rushing yards per contest during that span.

Timmons, 24, will pull extra duty in Nashville when it comes to Johnson. He will shadow the 2008 first-round draft pick on passing plays.

"I definitely have my hands full," Timmons said.

The youngest Steelers starter on defense has the speed and athleticism to keep up with players such as Johnson in open space.

Those attributes along with his experience are why teammates and coaches alike have predicted a breakout season for Timmons.

"Lawrence," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said, "is a playmaker."

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Steelers NT Chris Hoke: Even if Casey Hampton (hamstring) is able to play against the Titans, the Steelers may need to lean on one of their most reliable backups in Nashville.

Steelers LT Jonathan Scott: With Max Starks (ankle) all but out for Sunday's game, the all-important task of protecting the QBs blind side falls to Scott.

Titans WR Nate Washington: Ex-Steeler had 88 receiving yards, the second-highest game total of his career, and a touchdown in 38-13 blowout of Raiders.

NUMBERS

.500 -- Steelers winning percentage on the road under coach Mike Tomlin.

3 -- 100-yard rushers in a regular-season game that the Steelers have allowed since 2007.

9 -- Wins the Titans have had in their past 11 games.

47 -- Dennis Dixon's completion percentage on third down in his two NFL starts.

142.8 -- Vince Young's passer rating in the Titans' romp over the Raiders.

QUOTABLE

"Teams are going to test us. We're old and washed up. Teams are going to see if we can still play."

-- Defensive end Brett Keisel, tongue firmly in cheek, on the collective age of the defense.

"I think every game, especially with the win, it gives you confidence going forward. There's a lot to learn from when you watch the film. He can move forward from there and continue to grow."

-- Running back Rashard Mendenhall, on quarterback Dennis Dixon after the latter's second career start.

"I just hope both sides get it resolved. From a fan's perspective, when I was little once the season's over everybody can't wait for the season to start (again). Hopefully everything gets done, because you don't want to be a year away from football."

-- Inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons, on the specter of a lockout in 2011.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_699379.html

Threads : 55
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Titanic task: Timmons must help curtail explosive back

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lawrence Timmons
    Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Lawrence Timmons answers to "Law Dawg," and the moniker that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin gave him in 2007 is now more than just a play on his name.

"He's the new sheriff in town," fellow inside linebacker James Farrior said. "I feel like it's his time this year."

The emerging Timmons figures to be a central figure Sunday when the Steelers try to corral Chris Johnson.

Johnson is the reigning NFL Offensive Player of the Year, and the third-year running back is out of the blocks quickly in his quest to rush for 2,500 yards this season.

Timmons and the Steelers shut down Michael Turner in a 15-9 win over the Falcons, but Johnson, who gashed the Raiders for 142 rushing yards and two touchdowns Sunday, presents a different challenge.

"Both of them like to cut back, but the speed between the two is night and day," Timmons said a day after he registered 11 tackles, including three for a loss, in the Steelers' season opener. "(Johnson) is a guy that can take it to the house. Not saying Turner can't either, but speed kills."

The good news for the Steelers? They have held Johnson to 126 rushing yards and a touchdown on 31 carries in the two games they have played against the 5-foot-11, 191-pounder.

The not-so-good news: Johnson has cracked the 100-yard mark in 11 consecutive games and averaged 141.1 rushing yards per contest during that span.

Timmons, 24, will pull extra duty in Nashville when it comes to Johnson. He will shadow the 2008 first-round draft pick on passing plays.

"I definitely have my hands full," Timmons said.

The youngest Steelers starter on defense has the speed and athleticism to keep up with players such as Johnson in open space.

Those attributes along with his experience are why teammates and coaches alike have predicted a breakout season for Timmons.

"Lawrence," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said, "is a playmaker."

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Steelers NT Chris Hoke: Even if Casey Hampton (hamstring) is able to play against the Titans, the Steelers may need to lean on one of their most reliable backups in Nashville.

Steelers LT Jonathan Scott: With Max Starks (ankle) all but out for Sunday's game, the all-important task of protecting the QBs blind side falls to Scott.

Titans WR Nate Washington: Ex-Steeler had 88 receiving yards, the second-highest game total of his career, and a touchdown in 38-13 blowout of Raiders.

NUMBERS

.500 -- Steelers winning percentage on the road under coach Mike Tomlin.

3 -- 100-yard rushers in a regular-season game that the Steelers have allowed since 2007.

9 -- Wins the Titans have had in their past 11 games.

47 -- Dennis Dixon's completion percentage on third down in his two NFL starts.

142.8 -- Vince Young's passer rating in the Titans' romp over the Raiders.

QUOTABLE

"Teams are going to test us. We're old and washed up. Teams are going to see if we can still play."

-- Defensive end Brett Keisel, tongue firmly in cheek, on the collective age of the defense.

"I think every game, especially with the win, it gives you confidence going forward. There's a lot to learn from when you watch the film. He can move forward from there and continue to grow."

-- Running back Rashard Mendenhall, on quarterback Dennis Dixon after the latter's second career start.

"I just hope both sides get it resolved. From a fan's perspective, when I was little once the season's over everybody can't wait for the season to start (again). Hopefully everything gets done, because you don't want to be a year away from football."

-- Inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons, on the specter of a lockout in 2011.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_699379.html

Hey Scott...
    You Must Be Retarded...
    142 Yards Against The Raiders Is Like...
    Just Show Up And We'll Let Ya...
    By Defensive Comparison...
    Ain't No Comparison...
    Young Will Spend The Day Wondering..
    What The ****???
    Johnson Might Get 65 Yards...
    Nate Will Not Show For 3/45 Yards...
    STEELERS BY 14...

Threads : 91

I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember but when this was the Steelers and the Oilers, there were a few years (mid-late 70's) that these were the two best teams in the NFL.

That is what caused Bum Phillips to utter the immortal words "The road to the Super Bowl goes through Pittsburgh"

The Oilers had to feel snake bit that they could even get out of their division/conference because they were paired with us!
    Last edited by Stone; Sep-15-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Threads : 82

Chris Johnson is for real but the Steelers defense is also real. I haven't made up my mind yet but I might sit Chris Johnson from my fantasy team. Even if he does manage to gash our defense, I don't want to be happy about it! I don't know what to say about Vince Young, it really seemed he would never amount to anything but he is doing it and... he is doing it with Nate ****ing Washington. I dunno the closer we get to game time the better I feel about this matchup. Johnson is good but we can still limit him to 100 yards and I am sorry I am not scared of Nate ****ing Washington and Vince Young! This we week we bring these guys down a peg or two!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Read in the paper they are something like 1-7 in Tennessee with our one win being in 2001. It's been a long time...

I'm not too worried about what Chris johnson did to a Raiders run defense that was ranked 29th in the NFL last season allowing 155 yards per game and a terrible 4.5 ypc. That's no where near the Steelers 2009 numbers if 89.9 yards per game and 3.9 YPC.

But I am worried about their added balance that Tennessee has since Vince young discovered how to throw from the pocket some time last mid season. You can't stack the box because Vince Young is now beating teams in the air and doing it with a crummy bunch of WR's too. Last time we played Tennesee Kerry frickin' Collins abused our secondary with the only 300 yard passing game our defense surrendered that season and did by throwing all over the field. Jeff Fisher knows how to beat the Steelers defensive playbook. It was a quick passing game that beat all of our pressure. Our secondary relies on pressure and if you get rid of the ball quickly we'll surrender short routes all game long and the occasional deeper passes.

Question here is whether Young can play a shorter pass game. He's been killing on longer balls and he won't be always getting that kind of time.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Read in the paper they are something like 1-7 in Tennessee with our one win being in 2001. It's been a long time...

I'm not too worried about what Chris johnson did to a Raiders run defense that was ranked 29th in the NFL last season allowing 155 yards per game and a terrible 4.5 ypc. That's no where near the Steelers 2009 numbers if 89.9 yards per game and 3.9 YPC.

But I am worried about their added balance that Tennessee has since Vince young discovered how to throw from the pocket some time last mid season. You can't stack the box because Vince Young is now beating teams in the air and doing it with a crummy bunch of WR's too. Last time we played Tennesee Kerry frickin' Collins abused our secondary with the only 300 yard passing game our defense surrendered that season and did by throwing all over the field. Jeff Fisher knows how to beat the Steelers defensive playbook. It was a quick passing game that beat all of our pressure. Our secondary relies on pressure and if you get rid of the ball quickly we'll surrender short routes all game long and the occasional deeper passes.

Question here is whether Young can play a shorter pass game. He's been killing on longer balls and he won't be always getting that kind of time.
    But that was before the vaunted Terrible Towel incident! We will probably never lose there again! EVER!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    But that was before the vaunted Terrible Towel incident! We will probably never lose there again! EVER!
    They apologized and all of that **** and proceeded to go on a nice winning surge and it turned Vince young into an NFL QB.

I think the curse is over. There can be no curse when Vince Young looks competent
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

They apologized and all of that **** and proceeded to go on a nice winning surge and it turned Vince young into an NFL QB.

I think the curse is over. There can be no curse when Vince Young looks competent
    Dude, you need to brush up on your voo doo! The maloik was put on them when they disrespected the towel and they were given a reprieve against the rest of the league when they apologized but that doesn't lift the curse!

Let's face it, VY is an idiot waiting to blossom and now that we are discussing this, I am willing to guarantee a Steeler victory!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jeff Fisher and his guys seem to be a group that has the code to the 3-4 cracked, same way with the Billick Ravens.

They never scored a ton, but they always seems to move the ball keeping their teams in the mix even against the best Steeler defenses.

How many times have we seen Todd Heap have a big game against the Steelers?

That being said, I think this is going to be a fun game this weekend.

Defense looked sharp last weekend, there's no reason to think Steelers can't beat anyone while they're in that kind of form.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 3263

The Steelers are 1-8 in the state of Tenn, all time record...

After the "towel stomping" incident, the Titans lost something like 8 or 10 games... Once an apology was received, they started to win a few... According to some article I read several weeks back, that is when the curse ended for them.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    Jeff Fisher and his guys seem to be a group that has the code to the 3-4 cracked, same way with the Billick Ravens.

They never scored a ton, but they always seems to move the ball keeping their teams in the mix even against the best Steeler defenses.

How many times have we seen Todd Heap have a big game against the Steelers?

That being said, I think this is going to be a fun game this weekend.

Defense looked sharp last weekend, there's no reason to think Steelers can't beat anyone while they're in that kind of form.
    The code is pretty simple actually. What position does Heap play? TE's always seem to kill us.

Threads : 8

Although I hate talking in cliches, IMHO whichever QB protects the ball better and makes some 3rd down conversions will be on the winning side.

Threads : 60

I have a feeling the Titans are going to throttle our Steelers this Sunday.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

who ever has the most points at the end will win

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information