Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers face Mission Impossible?

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pittsburgh Steelers face Mission Impossible?

Pittsburgh Steelers face Mission Impossible?

Posted by eric.schmidt September 15, 2010
    http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...ssible/3233505

Next up for the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Tennessee Titans and RB Chris Johnson, is this a mission impossible for the Steelers? Last week, the Pittsburgh Steelers managed to hold Atlanta Falcons RB Michael Turner to 42 yards on 19 carries. Chris Johnson is no Michael Turner. Last week, Johnson posted 150 total yards and 2 score against the Oakland Raiders. Now, I watched every Oakland Raiders preseason game and their defense looked improved over last season, especially with the additions of Rolando McClain and Kamerion Wimbley. Chris Johnson still shredded them.

The Pittsburgh Steelers can’t expect to shut Johnson down completely, teams simply hope to contain him. Johnson is a very patient runner with an incredible burst when he seems an opening. He is exceptionally gifted on the cutbacks, this is where he runs off those large gains.

The Steelers are going to have to be tremendously disciplined and maintain their gaps. Where Johnson really excels is when teams over pursue and then he cuts back, and it’s off to the races.

I think the Steelers have the defensive talent to slow Johnson. Do they keep him under 100 yards? I don’t think so. Do I start him on my fantasy team? You have to, you most likely picked him with the #1 or #2 pick. And I don’t think it’s mission impossible for the Steelers, but outside of Ray Rice, Johnson is the most gifted runner the Steelers will face all season.

Last edited by Skeeter; Sep-15-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers face Mission Impossible?

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...e_week/3230022

Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson has been nominated for FedEx Ground Player of the Week for his performance against the Oakland Raiders on Sunday. Johnson was unstoppable against the Raiders, rushing for 142 yards and two touchdowns—including a 76-yard score in the second quarter. It was Johnson’s 12th straight game where he crossed the 100 yard mark, with the last time he failed to go over the mark coming Week 5 last season against the Indianapolis Colts

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers face Mission Impossible?

#28 is probably making Coach Lebeau lose a couple winks this week... He's scary fast, but I think we have the solution to his puzzle...

We have enough depth, on the front 7, to keep fresh legs out there all day. Not to mention, we have a couple of guys in the Defensive Backfield that can help crowd the line. What concerns me is our potential lack of contain on cutbacks (see old highlights of Fred Taylor kicking our ***).

Either way, I think we have (at least) one equalizer in Timmons. As long as I could remember, I have never seen a 3-4 ILB with the speed that this guy brings.

Think back to the '01 "Big Nasty D"... Arguably our best run D of all time (at least according to statistics). We had Holmes and Kirk inside. Both were dogs in terms of stuffing the run, but neither had the athleticism that we can field now, to solve the problem of a "speed" back.

With our ability to keep fresh wheels up front (Keisel, Hoke, Snack, Ziggy, Smith), not to mention freshness at ILB (Farrior, Timmons, Fox, Foote)... we should be able to get a bead on this guy! Especially with Troy roaming!

Should be an interesting test for our front 7...or 8!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information