Thread: Continuation rule for plays in the endzone!

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Continuation rule for plays in the endzone!

This new rule totally sucks. So far this year I have seen it take away what normally would have been 4 touchdowns, 2 for the Steelers, 1 for the Raiders opening week, and one for the Eagles. Hines had possession until after he rolled out of bounds and lost it getting up.
    2 things, when he caught the ball and was on the ground, right before he started rolling, the defender touched him on the leg. Shouldn't the play have been dead at that point? Or when he rolled out of bounds with possession?
    This new rule sucks and at best needs clarification.
    What was wrong with 2 feet down with possession?
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 197

Default Re: Continuation rule for plays in the endzone!

The biggest problem I have with the rule is that the officials clearly have no idea how it's supposed to be called. They do those "Official Review" segments for NFL Network and NFL.com and it seems like there's a new one every week. Pereira points out how the official misinterpreted the rule both ways about half the time. I think it was week 2 there were 3 of those calls, 2 should have been no catch, but only one was ruled correct, the other should have been a catch and was also ruled incorrectly.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You would think that before a new rule was implemented, they would make sure the refs knew how to correctly interpret it

I wonder why they decided to envoke this new rule? There never seemed to be any issues with the previous standard. It appears that the league has gone to the extreme on this one.

Threads : 122

You would think if it would be easier to just say the guy has posession of the football, and 2 feet down, it is a TD instead of trying to determine when the player loses control, what causes the loss of control, if the feet are down, if this or that......

Seems like a stupid rule.

Threads : 61
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I were a receiver in the NFL, I would NEVER let go of the ball until the ref told me he was satisfied that I had possession long enough. I would hold onto it, walk up to the official, and say, "I'm NOT giving you this ball until you can assure me that I've had satisfactory possession of the ball." It's getting ridiculous. Instant replay is making the game too technical.

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You would think that before a new rule was implemented, they would make sure the refs knew how to correctly interpret it
    Why? The refs aren't full-time employees. Why should they spend time outside of sunday learning the nuances of the officiating "profession" when it isnt even a profession to them?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    If I were a receiver in the NFL, I would NEVER let go of the ball until the ref told me he was satisfied that I had possession long enough. I would hold onto it, walk up to the official, and say, "I'm NOT giving you this ball until you can assure me that I've had satisfactory possession of the ball." It's getting ridiculous. Instant replay is making the game too technical.

That would be funny...it would be something that Hines Ward would do too probably.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    Ha Ha!.... Reminds me of the one scene in the movie "The Program" where he wouldn't give up the ball after working all week on holding onto it....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

I understand that refing isn't a full time gig for these guys, but if they are getting paid to do it, they owe it to those paying them, and to those for whom football is a full time job, to be as close to perfect as possible and to know the rules inside out.
    These guys can determine the outcome of games, and with the revolvation of peoples lives in and around the game, they need to be professionals.

I understand that refing isn't a full time gig for these guys, but if they are getting paid to do it, they owe it to those paying them, and to those for whom football is a full time job, to be as close to perfect as possible and to know the rules inside out.
    These guys can determine the outcome of games, and with the revolvation of peoples lives in and around the game, they need to be professionals.
    That's the thing though...the NFL doesn't demand that type of perfection...and do not promote that type of perfection by having professionals to train an devote their time and energy to it.
    Hidden Content

It doesn't quite make sense that the richest and most popular pro sports league doesn't have full time ref's. Especially if it could improve the quality of the game.

It doesn't quite make sense that the richest and most popular pro sports league doesn't have full time ref's. Especially if it could improve the quality of the game.
    But what happens if the refs are full time and the officiating is just as bad? Does the league, then, lose credibility? Im not sure the league WANTS full-time officials.
    Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information