Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snyder's Poor Play Starting To Get Noticed

Threads : 138

Default Snyder's Poor Play Starting To Get Noticed

A reader pointed out to Dejan yesterday that Chris Snyder's abysmal performance with the Pirates wasn't garnering much media attention.....

Here are some excerpts from Dejan in response to that and to what happened yesterday:

- "Since being acquired from Arizona as part of the five-player trade July 31, he is batting .168 after going 0 for 2 with a groundout, a walk and a popped-up bunt Wednesday night, with 16 hits in 95 at-bats and a .266 on-base percentage. Four of those 16 hits have been home runs, but there has been only one other extra-base hit. He has struck out 32 times, essentially once every three plate appearances.

- "As a related aside: Snyder will make $6.25 million next season, $500,000 more than had been previously known and the result of an escalator clause. That currently would make him the Pirates' highest-paid player."

This happened last night against the Mets:

"Alvarez, who fired accurately to Snyder home from just 50 feet away for what should have been a routine forceout. But Snyder, whose fielding percentage over the past three years has been the best of any catcher in Major League Baseball, allowed it tick off his glove and carom to the backstop. Two runs scored.

That was the second time Snyder failed to catch an infielder’s throw home in a week, including the 12th-inning drop of shortstop Ronny Cedeno's flick home that lost the game Friday in Cincinnati, 4-3."

Default Re: Snyder's Poor Play Starting To Get Noticed

Also, last night I was watching the Mets broadcast of the game...

After Snyder fouled out on a bunt attempt he walked very slowly back to the dugout. One of the Mets announcers sharply criticized Snyder for that and said if "was on my little league team and did that he wouldn't play for a month" (or words to that effect).

One more excerpt from Dejan:

"Regarding Snyder, yes, he is batting .172, with just 16 hits in 93 at-bats and a .264 on-base percentage. Now, four of those 16 hits have been home runs, which might have helped in hiding the warts. But there has been only one other extra-base hit, and the 32 strikeouts you reference, essentially one every three times up.

No adjectives are needed for that.

Snyder has made an impact defensively and in the game-calling, by all accounts, but the number of good defensive and game-calling games by Doumit have appeared to me to be about even. Snyder helped Charlie Morton, and Doumit helped Brian Burres, and so on. From a baserunning standpoint, as mentioned in the Notebook today, the opponents have been mostly under control, and the credit for that – from what I can see -- goes to John Russell for tightening that aspect, and for the pitchers doing well to keep runners close. Fact is, not many teams are running much on the Pirates."

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, last night I was watching the Mets broadcast of the game...

After Snyder fouled out on a bunt attempt he walked very slowly back to the dugout. One of the Mets announcers sharply criticized Snyder for that and said if "was on my little league team and did that he wouldn't play for a month" (or words to that effect).
    I didn't see the play in Cincinnati but Snyder's botched play last night was inexcusable for a ML player. Ronny Paulino is laughing.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yup, him dropping that ball from Alvarez and then popping up that bunt was atrocious.

I didn't think he was some savior coming over, but he was supposed to be a very good defensive catcher that would hit about .230 with a little pop. He's shown pop when he's actually hit the ball, but otherwise he's been a disaster.

Threads : 24

Those dropped throws are unbelievable to me...absolutely stunning, really, especially last night. I guess he should get some credit for the improved starting pitching of late?

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

An upgrade over Doumit isn't necessarily much of an upgrade.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 94

I read yesterday that Tony Sanchez will start the 2011 season at AA, so hopefully he could be a Sept callup next year.

Threads : 66

Snyder has been channeling his inner Ronny Paulino.

Threads : 197

I feel like Doumit has looked better behind the plate since Snyder has been here. Not that Snyder himself has helped him (maybe he has), I really think that having someone else catch half the games has had some benefit. He's made a mistake here and there, but he hasn't been the disaster he was when he was catching every day.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That game last night was terrible. I jumped on the PC to see what the score in the game was and I saw it was 5-0 Pirates in the 4th. I turned on the game and that was when I started seeing every bad thing happen. Poor defense everywhere but **** that miss by Snyder was a back breaker and it was a good play and throw by Pedro too. Paul Maholm, looked and rightfully so P-I-S-S-E-D when he left the game and in the dugout. He pitched fine until disaster ensued and then you could see frustration settle in on Maholm.

My question is why are players strengths becoming an issue? Snyder was a great defensive catcher until he comes to the Pirates and now he can't catch the ball. Ronny Paulino can't catch a ball he leaves the Pirates and now he can catch. There's been other signs of this too...

I'll be honest, I'm more concerned with players under performing or under achieving more than anything. Whose to say you couldn't bring in a higher profile player and they struggle. This team lacks a lot of focus
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 413

I was at the game last and down at field level. I thought the throw was a little too hard and off to the runner's side, but certainly playable. He may have taken his eye off the ball or was distracted as the runner was moving towards him. Nevertheless, it is a play that unquestionably should be made by a player at this level.

Aside from that, I thought he handled the catcher's position well. Lots of blocked balls with runners on base.

I was more upset that Russell didn't try to move Bowker to third after a lead-off double in the 4th inning with the score only 1-0. Snyder then is setup to drive him in with a fly or a groundball to the right side. It worked out only because Cutch has a big hit to drive in a couple of runs after the Mets walk a couple, including Maholm. By the way, I also thought Alvarez's triple and Doumit's double were both tough but catchable balls. Makes the game not even close and highlights even more the futility of the Maholm 7-run inning.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 150

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I was at the game last and down at field level. I thought the throw was a little too hard and [HIGH-LIGHT]off to the runner's side[/HIGH-LIGHT], but certainly playable. He may have taken his eye off the ball or was distracted as the runner was moving towards him. Nevertheless, it is a play that unquestionably should be made by a player at this level.

Aside from that, I thought he handled the catcher's position well. Lots of blocked balls with runners on base.

I was more upset that Russell didn't try to move Bowker to third after a lead-off double in the 4th inning with the score only 1-0. Snyder then is setup to drive him in with a fly or a groundball to the right side. It worked out only because Cutch has a big hit to drive in a couple of runs after the Mets walk a couple, including Maholm. By the way, I also thought Alvarez's triple and Doumit's double were both tough but catchable balls. Makes the game not even close and highlights even more the futility of the Maholm 7-run inning.

I initially thought that might have been the case, but when they showed a replay on FSN, which you of course couldn't have seen, the throw was perfect.

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    That game last night was terrible. I jumped on the PC to see what the score in the game was and I saw it was 5-0 Pirates in the 4th. I turned on the game and that was when I started seeing every bad thing happen. Poor defense everywhere but **** that miss by Snyder was a back breaker and it was a good play and throw by Pedro too. Paul Maholm, looked and rightfully so P-I-S-S-E-D when he left the game and in the dugout. He pitched fine until disaster ensued and then you could see frustration settle in on Maholm.

My question is why are players strengths becoming an issue? Snyder was a great defensive catcher until he comes to the Pirates and now he can't catch the ball. Ronny Paulino can't catch a ball he leaves the Pirates and now he can catch. There's been other signs of this too...

I'll be honest, I'm more concerned with players under performing or under achieving more than anything. Whose to say you couldn't bring in a higher profile player and they struggle. This team lacks a lot of focus
    I just don't know what it is. With the exception of some pitchers, almost every veteran player who's come in here has under-achieved. Yet the rookies, at least imho, have all exceeded, or at least met, expectations. So it's hard to pin it all on Russell. But it's also disconcerting that veteran players like Paulino, Gorzelany, and Bautista start to exceed expectations once they leave. What a mess...

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I was at the game last and down at field level. I thought the throw was a little too hard and off to the runner's side, but certainly playable. He may have taken his eye off the ball or was distracted as the runner was moving towards him. Nevertheless, it is a play that unquestionably should be made by a player at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    I initially thought that might have been the case, but when they showed a replay on FSN, which you of course couldn't have seen, the throw was perfect.
    It was definitely a near perfect throw.I can't remember where and what side the base runner was at but when the throw was made and the chance to catch was there, there wasn't really anything blocking the way. The throw maybe have been a tad "hard" but that's normal considering that Pedro was charging in on it full speed, barehanding it and trying to get the ball there quickly to get the out. It's not the first or 100th ball Im sure Snyder has seen like that in his entire career .

I just think he lacked focus on something very routine which we've seen all throughout this year. Routine plays botched not on physical ability but by loss of focus and in a great percentage of those times, they lead to losses.

Making these types of plays can honestly be the difference in at least a dozen wins-loses
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information