Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Civic/Mellon Arena to be demolished

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Civic/Mellon Arena to be demolished

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10259/1088024-100.stm

The Civic Arena is headed for demolition.

The city-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority voted unanimously this morning to proceed with steps necessary to raze the 49-year-old landmark to make way for a Penguins-led redevelopment.

The decision came despite last-ditch pleas by preservationists, led by the group Reuse the Igloo, to save the old building.

The vote occurred without any discussion from board members, prompting shouts of "Gestapo" from one member of the audience.

Mary Conturo, SEA executive director, said the agency now will start removing asbestos from the building and prepare bids for demolition, which could be ready by February.

The vote likely will trigger a court battle aimed at blocking the arena's destruction.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Architect Rob Pfaffmann, head of Reuse the Igloo, said the group would seek a court injunction at some point to block the demolition.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

He described the historic review process leading up to the vote as a "sham," adding there seemed to be pressure since last March "to get the deal done."

"We didn't get a fair shake," he said.

Nonetheless, Mr. Pfaffmann attempted an 11th hour compromise at the meeting, urging the board to move ahead with "non-destructive elements" related to the demolition while giving the community time to continue to work on a reuse.

His suggestion fell on deaf ears.

In explaining how the board could vote on such a contentious issue without any discussion, board chairman Wayne Fontana, a state senator, said members had read and reviewed reports from both sides prior to the meeting and had listened to public testimony.

"I think I made a vote that was deliberative and that I was informed about," he said.

Mr. Fontana said that he voted in favor of demolition because of reports that indicated it would cost half a million dollars to mothball the structure.

However, opponents of the move said the SEA could run afoul of federal preservation law which prevents "anticipatory demolition" of historic structures. If that is found, the SEA could lose all federal funding for redevelopment, including an effort to restore the street grid between the Hill District and Downtown.

Ms. Conturo said SEA lawyers are confident there is no violation of federal law.

Why doesn't that ****IN ******BAG Pfaffman go the **** away !!! The Arena is a Dump !@! Bands avoid playing there like the plague & now a Brand new Stat of the Art Arena is next to it Where you think things are going to go ???

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Civic/Mellon Arena to be demolished

Yeah, the arena is an eyesore now that the new building is built...there is absolutely no use for it now...I say demolish it and turn it into a market square with pubs and restaurants so that event goers to the consol energy center have a place to go before and after events.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why doesn't that ****IN ******BAG Pfaffman go the **** away !!! The Arena is a Dump !@! Bands avoid playing there like the plague & now a Brand new Stat of the Art Arena is next to it Where you think things are going to go ???

Get yor facts straight...Pfaffman doesn't want to repurpose the Civic arena to compete with the Consol Energy Center.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Get yor facts straight...Pfaffman doesn't want to repurpose the Civic arena to compete with the Consol Energy Center.
    Very true

Still haven';t heard of anything that would come to use of the old arena. They want to preserve it but have no plans to do anything to it and definitely lack the funds that would be needed.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Yeah he just wants it to sit there because 49 years ago it was COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !

Costs at least a Half a mill a month to keep it up to snuff, Now he will take the government to court that is in dept up to their EYEBALLS

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah he just wants it to sit there because 49 years ago it was COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !

Costs at least a Half a mill a month to keep it up to snuff, Now he will take the government to court that is in dept up to their EYEBALLS
    PFIV is right, Pfaffman said nothing about wanting to keep it around for competition though and some quick research shows that they want to preserver the structure and use it for things such as a park, amphitheater, etc... etc... I question whether it's financially doable http://reusetheigloo.com/Media.aspx
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

UMMMMMM Yeah a Park & an Amphitheater in the Hill District !!! Pfaffman is a Pointy Headed Intellectual who is wasting Taxpayers money, The Arena is a DUMP !!! No one or Nothing will go there & a Park & a Amphitheater is MORONIC at best

Threads : 61

I agree with EvilPens, although not so abrasively. I understand why people want to preserve it. It's got a cool dome roof. But without that, it's just a decrepit old building. It's not worth saving. So much more could be built up in it's place, that could bring in more revenue. What can we do with the igloo to bring in revenue? We rarely got concerts in it before, you think we'll get any with the new arena? Instead, tear it down, and like BGK said, put in a market square. I have plenty of fond memories of the igloo, but it's time to let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    I agree with EvilPens, although not so abrasively. I understand why people want to preserve it. It's got a cool dome roof. But without that, it's just a decrepit old building. It's not worth saving. So much more could be built up in it's place, that could bring in more revenue. What can we do with the igloo to bring in revenue? We rarely got concerts in it before, you think we'll get any with the new arena? Instead, tear it down, and like BGK said, put in a market square. I have plenty of fond memories of the igloo, but it's time to let it go.

No El Sid I agree with you !! I was cool & great !!! but the operative word is was !! The City is in horrible financial shape & that ******bag Pfaffman is going to take them to court over this & waste more taxpayer money

Sorry but putting a Park in the Hill District is Retarded No one will go there !! Except the prostitutes & crack dealers It had a Great Run, But now Sadly it's Run is over & it's time to Turn the page to a new chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    PFIV is right, Pfaffman said nothing about wanting to keep it around for competition though and some quick research shows that they want to preserver the structure and use it for things such as a park, amphitheater, etc... etc... I question whether it's financially doable http://reusetheigloo.com/Media.aspx

Wouldn't the arena be a great place to set up the big screen and watch the Penguins in the playoffs?

I agree with EvilPens, although not so abrasively. I understand why people want to preserve it. It's got a cool dome roof. But without that, it's just a decrepit old building. It's not worth saving. So much more could be built up in it's place, that could bring in more revenue. What can we do with the igloo to bring in revenue? We rarely got concerts in it before, you think we'll get any with the new arena? Instead, tear it down, and like BGK said, [HIGH-LIGHT]put in a market square[/HIGH-LIGHT]. I have plenty of fond memories of the igloo, but it's time to let it go.

That can be incorporated in with the arena.

I agree with EvilPens, although not so abrasively. I understand why people want to preserve it. [HIGH-LIGHT]It's got a cool dome roof. But without that, it's just a decrepit old building[/HIGH-LIGHT]. It's not worth saving. So much more could be built up in it's place, that could bring in more revenue. What can we do with the igloo to bring in revenue? We rarely got concerts in it before, you think we'll get any with the new arena? Instead, tear it down, and like BGK said, put in a market square. I have plenty of fond memories of the igloo, but it's time to let it go.

That's the reason you save the building! There is no other building like it in the world and Pittsburgh has it.

No El Sid I agree with you !! I was cool & great !!! but the operative word is was !! The City is in horrible financial shape & that ******bag Pfaffman is going to take them to court over this & waste more taxpayer money

Sorry but putting a Park in the Hill District is Retarded No one will go there !! Except the prostitutes & crack dealers It had a Great Run, But now Sadly it's Run is over & it's time to Turn the page to a new chapter
    Even if the arena is saved there still will be new development in the upper lots and the street grid will be reestablished. With this new development and the Consol Energy center across the street this area will be one of the destination spots in Pittsburgh.

No El Sid I agree with you !! I was cool & great !!! but the operative word is was !! [HIGH-LIGHT]The City is in horrible financial shape & that ******bag Pfaffman is going to take them to court over this & waste more taxpayer money[/HIGH-LIGHT]

He wants to take the city to court just to delay destruction of the arena until a viable reuse plan can be drawn up. The city is railroading him and anyone else who wants to save this building......look at how the vote yesterday was conducted. The fix was in the day the city and state gave Mario development rights.

That's the reason you save the building! There is no other building like it in the world and Pittsburgh has it.
    Spend a half a Mill a month to keep it in running order JUST because it has a "COOL" roof Unlike any in the world & Pgh. has it !

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information