60 Day DL
    Jose Ascanio
    Steve Pearce
    Jeff Clement
    Ross Ohlendorf

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Current 40 man roster

As we head into the off season, who comes off the list to make room for a) players on the 60 day dl, and b) minor league players who have to be added to the 40 man roster?

I think Steven Jackson, Chan Ho Park, Justin Thomas, Andy LaRoche, and Ramon Aguero all come off the 40 man.

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As we head into the off season, who comes off the list to make room for a) players on the 60 day dl, and b) minor league players who have to be added to the 40 man roster?

I think Steven Jackson, Chan Ho Park, Justin Thomas, Andy LaRoche, and Ramon Aguero all come off the 40 man.
    I would add Gallegher, Martinez, Moss, Diaz, Karstens and possibly Duke to your list. As I recall, Karstens and Moss were not on the 40 last off season.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA17 View Post
    I would add Gallegher, Martinez, Moss, Diaz, Karstens and possibly Duke to your list. As I recall, Karstens and Moss were not on the 40 last off season.
    I'd like to see Gallagher pitch. He's only 24 years old. I thought he was much older than that. I think (hope is a better word) that Duke is cut loose, and I doubt they hang on to both Bowker and Moss. I think it all depends on how many spots they need to create for minor leaguers. Some of these guys like Martinez may stick around just because there's still room for them and maybe they can help fill out the bullpen. I think Karstens has earned the right to keep a 40 man spot unless he's eligible for arbitration, at which point I don't think I'd go there with him. There are many questions to be answered in the off season. Maybe PFIV, Benny, or JNN can shed some light on minor leaguers.

Threads : 413

I liked Moss but in the short time that Bowker has been here he's showed more. I still think Moss is better D though.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 138

Dan McCutchen, Joe Martinez, Chan Ho Park, Jeff Clement, Andy LaRoche, Ramon Aguero, Jose Ascanio, Sean Gallagher, Justin Thomas, Brandon Moss, and Zach Duke are guys I expect to be release or DFA'd.

Some of the guys that need to be added include Starling Marte, Rudy Owens, Jeff Locke, Dan Moskos, Diego Moreno, and Alex Presley. IMO, Tony Watson is a possible future Loogy and may be added as well.

Karstens has earned a spot on the 40 man. Burress will be a difficult decision.

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    Dan McCutchen, Joe Martinez, Chan Ho Park, Jeff Clement, Andy LaRoche, Ramon Aguero, Jose Ascanio, Sean Gallagher, Justin Thomas, Brandon Moss, and Zach Duke are guys I expect to be release or DFA'd.

Some of the guys that need to be added include Starling Marte, Rudy Owens, Jeff Locke, Dan Moskos, Diego Moreno, and Alex Presley. IMO, Tony Watson is a possible future Loogy and may be added as well.

Karstens has earned a spot on the 40 man. Burress will be a difficult decision.
    Presley is already on the 40 man roster. I don't disagree with too many of those. Unless there are several more moves or minor leaguers that would put the 40 man roster at 34. I don't think they'll cut quite that many. While Karstens has earned a spot on the 40 man roster, the key to him staying will be signing him to a contract rather than going to arbitration. Him and Burress are both very replaceable, even though they have exceeded anyones expectations. I hope they are able to hang on to Gallagher for another year. He's been highly regarded and he's still very young.
    Last edited by indybucfan; Sep-19-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I liked Moss but in the short time that Bowker has been here he's showed more. I still think Moss is better D though.
    I think they're interchangable. Bowker and Moss can't hit MLB pitching. Both have about the same power potential. Neither are MLB caliber starters. Bowker has more value in that he can play 1B and the OF than Moss which is going to help him but both probably share the same ceiling and potential. Same ages too
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 413

I don't know Kip. Bowker started slow but has been hitting pretty well of late and with power. I see him as a Pearce, a Clement, a Moss. Role player and not a starter. Just depends on how he can handle the bench and spot play. D. Young comes to mind, in that he can produce as a PH. If Bowker can do that that, he's Ok in my book. Something tells me though that he can't make that adjustment and needs to play to keep sharp.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 94

I don't know Kip. Bowker started slow but has been hitting pretty well of late and with power. I see him as a Pearce, a Clement, a Moss. Role player and not a starter. Just depends on how he can handle the bench and spot play. D. Young comes to mind, in that he can produce as a PH. If Bowker can do that that, he's Ok in my book. Something tells me though that he can't make that adjustment and needs to play to keep sharp.

I will bet Moss is one of the first players dropped off the 40 MR.

Yeah I don't see him as anything more than a bench guy and if he's depended on to be more than that then we haven't solved a problem we still have. Despite how he's hit the last 7 days which has been good like you said his long term ceiling and potential isn't really that great.

His ability to play 1B and the OF raises his stock especially since both of those positions are question marks in general.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    I will bet Moss is one of the first players dropped off the 40 MR.
    No doubt but I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign him to a minor league contract unless someone else jumps at Brandon Moss's long term potential He's that type of AAA/AAAA filler you like to have.

Brandon Moss played some first base with the Boston org. If the Pirates were interested (I presume they are not), they could play him there.

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    Brandon Moss played some first base with the Boston org. If the Pirates were interested (I presume they are not), they could play him there.
    That's a good find. Looks like Moss played a lot of 1B at AAA in the Boston organization. I'd have to add it up for which I'm not interested but it looks like Moss has played more 1B than Bowker

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    That's a good find. Looks like Moss played a lot of 1B at AAA in the Boston organization. I'd have to add it up for which I'm not interested but it looks like Moss has played more 1B than Bowker

Jones bats lefty, Bowker bats lefty, Moss bats lefty....they aren't going to keep 3 lefties at 1st/RF....also Doumit 's dominate side is lefty.

I thought dropping Park from the 40 man would be automatic but he has been pitching pretty well. Anybody care to look up his stats with the Bucs this year?

Here are Dejan's comments from tonight's game that got me thinkin' about this...

"That set the stage for Park, the 38-year-old right-hander, to pitch three perfect innings of relief -- six strikeouts -- for his 124th career victory and break his tie with Hideo Nomo atop the list of Asian-born pitchers, a goal that he acknowledged was important to him, and one that manager John Russell embraced.

As if to demonstrate its importance, Park was sensational in striking out six batters while retiring all nine from the fifth through seventh innings."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information