Thread: Steelers need more from Dixon

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers need more from Dixon

9/19/2010
    Steelers need more from Dixon
    By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

This article has been read 264 times.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - For Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, the NFL is a wins and loss business. You don't get credit for style points.

That's a good thing because there wasn't much style to be found in Pittsburgh's 15-9 overtime victory last Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons.

Tomlin and the Steelers will gladly take a similar game result - at least defensively - today when they play the Tennessee Titans at LP Field. But the Steelers know they'll likely have to put up more than the one touchdown to beat the Titans.

"That quality of performance is probably not going to be good enough to secure victory this week in a hostile environment. ... That's how it is," Tomlin said.

Quarterback Dennis Dixon knows that largely falls upon him.

Dixon struggled at times against the Falcons, particularly in the first half, when he was 10 of 16 for 91 yards and an interception, leading the Steelers to only three points.

Dixon finished 18 of 26 for 236 yards.

"Dennis is a very talented player that we've been looking at very closely," said Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher. "He's smart. He's making the right decisions. He understands where his problems are. He gets rid of the ball quick, then you add the legs into the equation and it makes him especially dangerous."

Dixon admits being nervous during the first half of only his second NFL start.

"I calmed down," said Dixon. "Fortunately, I have Hines Ward to help calm me down."

Ward, who had his team-record 26th 100-yard receiving game last week, feels he knows what will help keep Dixon calm again this week - a strong running game.

That also will help keep the ball out of the hands of Tennessee running back Chris Johnson, who has rushed for 100 or more yards in 12 consecutive games, just two short of the NFL record. The Steelers have held Johnson, who rushed for 2,000 yards last season, to less than 100 in each of the previous two meetings.

"We need to control the ball and keep (Johnson) off the field," Ward said. "If we can do that, it will put the pressure on them."

The Steelers are 1-8 against the Titans in Tennessee, with one of those games played in Memphis. The other seven losses have come in Nashville, including a 34-7 defeat here in 2008, when several Tennessee players stomped on Terrible Towels one the sidelines when victory was in hand.

The Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl that year and avenged the 2008 loss with a 13-10 overtime win last September.

"We won the Super Bowl. It doesn't stick with you when you win it all," said Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley.

The Steelers are concerned that Tennessee quarterback Vince Young, who regained the starting job from Kerry Collins for the final 10 games last season and led the Titans to an 8-2 finish after an 0-6 start, gives Tennessee an added threat. Not only is Young adept at scrambling, but the Titans also ran some option plays in a 38-13 win over Oakland last week.

"It's like having two running backs in the backfield," said Woodley, who has at least half a sack in 10 consecutive games, a Steelers record. "Vince Young, you can't over rush him because he can still throw the ball or run. If you give him those rush lanes, he's going to burn you for 10 or 15 yards."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Odds and end zones[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Quarterback Byron Leftwich, who suffered a sprained knee in the Steelers' final preseason game, was released to make room for defensive tackle Steve McClendon. Leftwich is expected to be re-signed by the Steelers early next week. ... Left tackle Max Starks and nose tackle Casey Hampton are out with injuries suffered against the Falcons. They will be replaced by Jonathan Scott and Chris Hoke, respectively.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...Titans-preview
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Default Re: Steelers need more from Dixon

I'd get more designed rolling pockets to get him moving more. Dixon seems perform better on the move.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd get more designed rolling pockets to get him moving more. Dixon seems perform better on the move.
    Be nice if he actually ran with the ball as well.I mean,he is noted for that.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Be nice if he actually ran with the ball as well.I mean,he is noted for that.
    100% $$$$$$$

...roll him out like in college and let him take off if nothing is there...Tomlin himself said he wouldn't mind if Dixon ran with it. Let Dixon do what he does best, run and create plays on the fly. Can't roll him out of the pocket all the time but everyone in the world knows he isn't a pocket passer.

Threads : 691

100% $$$$$$$

...roll him out like in college and let him take off if nothing is there...Tomlin himself said he wouldn't mind if Dixon ran with it. Let Dixon do what he does best, run and create plays on the fly. Can't roll him out of the pocket all the time but everyone in the world knows he isn't a pocket passer.
    I agree,let him make some plays with his legs. Him getting hurt is something that can't be controled,if it's gonna happen,it's gonna happen. B.T.W how you been Drew?
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I agree,let him make some plays with his legs. Him getting hurt is something that can't be controled,if it's gonna happen,it's gonna happen. B.T.W how you been Drew?
    Yep, Dixon could get hurt just as easily sitting in the pocket as he could running with the ball.

.....I've been doing really great this summer. How about you , Ray? Got back into bowling after 12 years! Got my average up to the mid-190's in just two months. Really had a lot of fun this summer hanging out at the Bowling alley.....now it's back to school tomorrow and I have to let the bowling go, unfortunately.... 19 units are waiting for me. I am already stressed out!

Threads : 60

Why do all of us armchair quarterbacks get it but the guys making millions (Tomlin & Arian's) don't? Very frustrating to see Dixon have open lanes in the Falcons game but sit in the pocket because he is being told too. Something better change today otherwise we don't have a chance in Tennessee.

Threads : 691

Yep, Dixon could get hurt just as easily sitting in the pocket as he could running with the ball.

.....I've been doing really great this summer. How about you , Ray? Got back into bowling after 12 years! Got my average up to the mid-190's in just two months. Really had a lot of fun this summer hanging out at the Bowling alley.....now it's back to school tomorrow and I have to let the bowling go, unfortunately.... 19 units are waiting for me. I am already stressed out!
    Things are great on this end.You and my dad would get along great,his bowling game is coming along very nicely. I've been trying to convince him to join a league. The school thing,one day at a time bro.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well... We now need alot MORE from Dixon... Leftwich just signed with the Browns, so it's Dixon and Batch till Ben comes back... And we now need to find another qb possibly.... Hey, Garcia is still available...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Why do all of us armchair quarterbacks get it but the guys making millions (Tomlin & Arian's) don't? Very frustrating to see Dixon have open lanes in the Falcons game but sit in the pocket because he is being told too. Something better change today otherwise we don't have a chance in Tennessee.
    lol.....I guess a knee sprain will do.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Things are great on this end.You and my dad would get along great,his bowling game is coming along very nicely. I've been trying to convince him to join a league. The school thing,one day at a time bro.
    I wanted to join a league so bad....they just started the fall leagues on the 12th. School is preventing me from even entertaining the thought...although at one point I contemp;ated dropping a class or two to join a league. I thought better of it though(or worse if you see it from my perspective) and kept my full course load.

Threads : 91

Dixon is the WORST QB I have ever seen in the NFL BAR NONE!

Threads : 22

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Dixon is the WORST QB I have ever seen in the NFL BAR NONE!
    He's started 3 NFL games. 2 1/2 if you count getting knocked out today

And, apparently mos Steeler QB's of the past, and guys like Ryan Leaf - and any Browns QB - are better?

Threads : 91

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalks View Post
    He's started 3 NFL games. 2 1/2 if you count getting knocked out today

And, apparently mos Steeler QB's of the past, and guys like Ryan Leaf - and any Browns QB - are better?
    Starts, stats, wins....none of it means anything when you watch him play.............He is ****ing HORRIBLE!

Threads : 22

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Starts, stats, wins....none of it means anything when you watch him play.............He is ****ing HORRIBLE!
    Just saying you said "bar none". He is not the worst ever.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information