Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a better defense in the NFL right now than the Steelers?

Threads : 440

Default Is there a better defense in the NFL right now than the Steelers?

Ed: Defense Smothering

SUNDAY, 19 SEPTEMBER 2010 18:51 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Is there a better defense in the NFL right now than the Steelers? This reminds me of those games in 1976 when Terry Bradshaw had a neck injury after the team started 1-4 with him. You'll never see a more dominant performance by a defense than that one that season as it threw shutout after shutout and just beat down everyone.

However, in these first two games and considering all the rules they've passed over the past 24 years to help offenses, it's hard to imagine a defense playing any better to open the season.

Seven turnovers! That's more than they've had in any game in 13 years. And they just slammed Chris Johnson. He had 8 yards in one game as a rookie. His 34 yards Sunday tied his second-lowest, plus he lost a fumble. He did not look as though he wanted to be in there at the end, which is what linebacker James Harrison said.

The Steelers have found a way to go 2-0 without Ben Roethlsiberger and the next two games are gravy because they can come out of this at 2-2 and be in good shape. However, they want to be in better same than that. And Mike Tomlin came out smoking yesterday, ripping those who thought his team could not win without Roethlisberger.

The Steelers were underdogs in their first two games and swept both of them, doing so without starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the man who was supposed to replace him, Byron Leftwich.

“Regardless of our demise being reported, we expect to win,’’ Tomlin declared Sunday. “We’re pleased that we are 2-0 but we are not astounded by it. We’re capable. We’re a little bit annoyed to be quite honest about our premature reporting of our death.’’

Chris Hoke, starting for injured Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton, explained why his coach felt as he did.

“A lot of times, you guys don’t see what all goes on with our team,’’ Hoke said. “We know we’ve got a lot of great players out here. We’ve got a chip on our shoulder this year because of how things went down last year with our five-game losing streak. So, we have something to prove.

“So, sometimes when people writ ethat we’re not going to be very good or maybe they’ll go 2-2 or 1-3 when Ben’s out, that’s a lto fo the stuff that [ticks] us off.’’

Peter King, writing in Sports Illustrated before the season, picked the Steelers to win the Super Bowl.

###

With one quarterback hurt and two injured, Tomlin is not sure what he will do as the Steelers prepare to play in Tampa next Sunday.

“I don’t know who is going to play quarterback next week. I know it won’t be me. I’m not good enough.’’

Dennis Dixon left the game with a left knee injury in the second quarter. Byron Leftwich returned to practice the past week and was listed as probable, two weeks after his left knee was injured, a second-degree MCL sprain. The Steelers released Leftwich on Saturday to make room for a sixth defesive lineman, Scott McLendon, because of the injury to Hampton.

That left Charlie Batch as the only healthy quarterback Sunday. The Steelers expect to re-sign Leftwich today and either he, Batch or even Dixon could start in Tampa.

“I always want to throw my hat in the ring,’’ Batch said. “It is just a matter of if the opportunity presents itself, I will be ready. You never know when your number is going to be called upon.’’

###

The Steelers looked to be okay with other injuries, even though players kept leaving the field with one form of physical ailment or another.

Guard Trai Essex left with an ankle injury but returned to play. Hoke left with a “stinger” in his shoulder but also left to play (McLendon replaced him for about six snaps and recovered a fumble).

Two other starting linemen, guard Chris Kemoeatu and tackle Flozell Adams, had to leave the game because they were deyhdrafted. They returned and the Steelers shuffled linemen in and out. Jonathan Scott, making his first start for the Steelers at left tackle for injured Max Starks, moved to right tackle when Adams went out and Tony Hills came in to play left tackle. Doug Legursky filled in at guard.

The only lineman who played every snap was rookie center Maurkice Pouncey.

“We have a lot of guys who are versatile, that can play any position,’’ Pouncey said. “It shows the flexibility of the offensive line and what guys are willing to do for the team.’’

###

Hines Ward, who had a career-high 108 yards for an opener the previous week, managed just one catch for nine yards Sunday. Nevertheless, it was enough to keep his streak of 180 consecutive games with at least one catch. That’s the fifth longest in NFL history and just three behind Art Monk for No. 4.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...medium=twitter

Threads : 49

Default Re: Is there a better defense in the NFL right now than the Steelers?

The only defense that I can think of that is close to how good the Steelers are playing is the Jets D. It's the real deal, how good I'm not sure, but they're definitely legit.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shame about the prevent tho. What they were doing was working the whole game, why not stick with it? Have to keep in mind that it was hot as **** out there. It was a fresh QB so I am sure that factors in.

Threads : 102

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shame about the prevent tho. What they were doing was working the whole game, why not stick with it? Have to keep in mind that it was hot as **** out there. It was a fresh QB so I am sure that factors in.
    Honestly, I thought (hoped) that they were just letting the Tits offense work the clock down since our O couldn´t do it for ****. And taking it easy saving energy for a last stand.

Threads : 413

Will be pretty ****ed hot in Tampa this week too. We, as a team, have a lot of depth and our "system" has a lot to do with that which really showed in games like the one yesterday. As critical as we sometimes are of Tomlin, I have to give him credit for that.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 60

That meeting at the quarterback when they dumped Young on his head should say it all. That needs to go up on a banner, poster or wahtever and I would have the picture plastered on my wall. That looked as good as any sack I ever seen.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    That meeting at the quarterback when they dumped Young on his head should say it all. That needs to go up on a banner, poster or wahtever and I would have the picture plastered on my wall. That looked as good as any sack I ever seen.
    Do they actually give out .333 of a sack ?

Threads : 440

Defensive effort was titanic

Monday, September 20, 2010
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The great Chris Johnson, who ran for a ridiculous 2,006 yards last season? "Gave up," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said.

The elusive Vince Young, who was 9-2 as a starting quarterback going back to last season? "Rattled," Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel said.

The formidable Tennessee Titans, who routinely used to beat the Steelers like a drum here? "I thought that we were a little bit better than that," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said.

Who saw this 19-11 beat-down coming Sunday? Who dared to dream the Steelers would be 2-0 without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger? Who knew the Steelers' defense was this sturdy? Who imagined that defensive end Aaron Smith and safety Troy Polamalu would make that much difference?

OK, that last question is silly. Everybody knows what Smith and Polamalu mean to the Steelers' defense. "You lose one, maybe, but not both at the same time," Ward said, referring to the team's rotten predicament last season when Smith and Polamalu were out with injuries and the defense blew five fourth-quarter leads.

But those first three questions are fair. The defense has been surprisingly terrific. "There's been a lot of talk that we're too old and that they need to put in new guys to start over," Keisel said, fairly sniffing. The defense -- aging or otherwise -- is responsible for the 2-0 start. On a late-summer Sunday, when the Steelers started with third-string quarterback Dennis Dixon and finished with fourth-teamer Charlie Batch and the team played without offensive tackle Max Starks and had to rotate in its seventh and eighth offensive linemen to beat the brutal heat and humidity, the defense forced six turnovers. It didn't give up its first touchdown of the season until the game's final minute. Clearly, it was too much for Johnson, who was held to 34 yards after running for at least 100 in 12 consecutive games, and Young, who played miserably and often seemed confused before being benched for Kerry Collins early in the fourth quarter.

"Every quarterback is going to look confused against [defensive coordinator] Dick LeBeau's defense," Steelers linebacker Larry Foote said.

It looked as if Young didn't see Polamalu when he threw him an interception in the end zone on a first-and-10 play from the Steelers' 16 late in the first quarter. That play -- Polamalu's second interception in two games -- might have been the biggest defensive play of the game because the Steelers led just 7-3 at the time. It appeared as if Young didn't see linebacker LaMarr Woodley on another interception in the second quarter. Then, late in the third quarter, on the final play before he was benched, Young didn't seem to feel linebacker James Harrison coming on the rush and fumbled when he was hit.

"They did some things that I haven't seen before," Young said.

Johnson probably felt the same way. He ran for 142 yards against the Oakland Raiders a week earlier and looked ready to take another step toward Hall of Famer Barry Sanders' NFL record of 14 consecutive 100-yard games. But, no. Johnson didn't just average 2.1 yards on his 16 carries, he lost a fumble late in the first half after being hit by linebacker Lawrence Timmons.

"He got tired of being hit," Ward said.

"We sure did put the helmet on him," Foote agreed.

Johnson did have an apparent 85-yard touchdown run called back late in the second quarter when center Eugene Amano was penalized for holding Steelers nose tackle Chris Hoke. "Absolutely, it was holding," Hoke said. Added Smith, "They hold every play."

Give Smith a lot of the credit for stopping Johnson. The two most recent times the Steelers' defense allowed a back to run for 100 yards -- Baltimore's Ray Rice last season and Jacksonville's Fred Taylor in 2007 -- Smith didn't play because of injuries. Coincidence? There's just no way.

"Aaron created havoc all day," Ward said.

"He's amazing," Harrison said. "They have to account for him and it takes two guys to do it. That's 700 pounds of force coming down on him and they still can't block him. He gives us linebackers freedom to run around and make plays."

And man, they make 'em, don't they?

Harrison was a monster again with 11 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. The linebackers as a group -- Harrison, Woodley, Timmons and captain James Farrior -- combined for 34 tackles, 3 sacks, an interception, 3 forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

It seems almost comical now that the Steelers' defense had to answer questions all week about how it was going to stop Johnson and contain Young.

"I feel like we're not getting the respect that we deserve," Harrison said. "But I understand respect is something that's not just given, it has to be earned. I like to think we earned a little today."

A bunch, actually.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10263...#ixzz106MUFMvS

Threads : 3263

After only 2 weeks, it's still way too early to draw comparisons, but this could possibly be one of the finest squads LeBeau has fielded...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

9/20/2010
    Bullies in black turned Johnson, Titans into quitters

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - In the annals of Steelers history, there have been plenty of magnificent defensive performances.

None of those might have matched what the Steelers did in Sunday's 19-11 victory Sunday over Tennessee at LP Field.

[HIGH-LIGHT]The Steelers didn't just beat the Titans. They beat them into submission.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

By the time the third quarter rolled around, Tennessee's offense, which had yet to amass 100 yards, wanted nothing to do with what the Steelers were bringing at them.

Running back Chris Johnson, who had rushed for more than 100 yards in 12 consecutive games, looked like he didn't care if he never carried the ball again.

[HIGH-LIGHT]"I felt Chris may have had enough somewhere around the end of the third quarter and the start of the fourth quarter," said Steelers linebacker James Harrison, who had 11 bone-crunching tackles, two sacks and two forced fumbles.

The idea was to keep hitting the 190-pound speedster in an attempt to slow him down.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

The Steelers didn't just do that. They forced Johnson to quit. He finished the game with 34 yards on 16 carries.

[HIGH-LIGHT]"We just constantly hit him," said linebacker LaMarr Woodley. "You get hit so many times, you think twice about fighting for extra yardage.

"We wanted to keep forcing him inside and constantly make a collision with the running back. Collisions are big because when you hit a guy like that, it slows him down."[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Not only did the Steelers shut down Johnson, they forced seven turnovers, hammering anything that moved in a powder blue uniform.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Even the offense got into the action with Hines Ward - who else? - getting into a scrap with seemingly the entire Tennessee defense on the Steelers' first offensive play of the game.

"That kind of set the tone right there," said Woodley.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

That tone was that the Steelers were going to be there all day, toeing the line. They weren't going to back down, nor were they going to give the Titans a play off.

As a result, Pittsburgh finds itself 2-0, alone in first place in the AFC North. That's seemed unthinkable this spring when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was suspended.

Unthinkable to everyone except the Steelers' players and coaches.

"Regardless of our demise being reported, we expect to win," said coach Mike Tomlin. "We're pleased that we're 2-0 but we're not astounded by it. We're a little bit annoyed, to be quite honest."

They've taken it out on their first two opponents, Atlanta and Tennessee.

And there doesn't seem to be any reason to think it can't continue to play angry.

When asked if Sunday's game was the most physical he's ever seen, Tomlin simply replied, "Probably, until next week. That's our story and we're sticking to it."

[HIGH-LIGHT]After the well-documented struggles of the defense last season, the bullies in black are back and they're better than ever.

This is a team that's not just content to beat you, it wants to beat you up as well.

You can bet that the rest of the league has taken notice.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...-Titans-column
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks for the post, Nky.

Johnson showed glimpses yesterday of why he's considered so dangerous. He was my main concern yesterday. When I saw Young was in as the starter, it became obvious that the hand-off to Johnson was going to be the primary offensive tactic, but shutting him down has to be easier to say than do.

This is so different from the D we saw last year.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This is so different from the D we saw last year.
    Hopefully it continues for another 16 games or so!..........

Found this over on the NFL site...

[HIGH-LIGHT]The Steelers have allowed 20 points in two games -- tying them with Miami for fewest points allowed. In the two other games their opponents, Atlanta and Tennessee, played, the Falcons scored 41 points, the Titans 38. Both won. This defense is dominant. It's forced eight turnovers -- four fumbles -- and applied immense pressure against the run and pass. Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley has recorded at least a half-sack in 10 straight games.[/HIGH-LIGHT] After Tampa Bay, the upcoming schedule is brutal: Baltimore, Cleveland, Miami, New Orleans, Cincinnati and New England.
    ... And yea... Our schedule does become BRUTAL after Tampa...

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was one of the most physical efforts I've seen from a Steelers' Defense in as long as I can remember.

With regards to Johnson "giving up," I mentioned the same thing to my brother during the game yesterday. It was clear that he was taking a beating and didnt want to be out there in the second half. He was getting stuffed at, or near, the LOS on seemingly every carry... and he was getting hit HARD every time.

If yesterday was a test for Timmons, he passed with flying colors!!! He was dropping bombs on Johnson all day!

Harrison, Troy, and Smith... just another day at the office (it's almost expected from these guys at this point. The Superfly Snooka sack from Troy was unbelievable, I dont know if anyone has ever timed a snap count like that.

Good to see Woodley and Bmac getting their mits on the ball. That play from Woodley was fantastic, when you consider he's a 260lb linebacker getting up for that ball and making the catch. Same with Bmac's pick, he layed out nicely for that one -both great efforts!!!

Man, I was fired up to hear all that plastic poppin yesterday!!! This could turn out to be a very special unit!

Threads : 49

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Found this over on the NFL site...

... And yea... Our schedule does become BRUTAL after Tampa...
    Thank God Ben is coming back and not a minute too soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information