Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Buccaneer Week!

Threads : 691

Default It's Buccaneer Week!

When I do these threads,about next weeks opponents,my main focus is on the history between the teams. I like to spark conversation about past games,great players or memerable plays. I have to say I don't have much this week,because like the rest of the N.F.C. South, there isn't much history or tradition between these two teams
    The Steelers lead the all-time series 7-1 (3-0 home 4-1 road. The Steelers won the last meeting in 2006 in Pittsburgh 20-3 (a game in which I attended) The Steelers beat the Bucs 17-7 in 2002,after which Lee Flowers,for some reason felt he had to call them "paper champions' (the Bucs went on to win the Super Bowl that year)
    The Bucs came into existence in 1976 and a little remembered fact is that they spend that season in the A.F.C. West where they lost all 14 games they played,the Steelers beat them 42-0
    The Bucs are a suprising 2-0 for this game Sunday.Q.B. Josh Freeman is playing decently,while the wins came against the Browns and the Panthers,never the less they found a way to get it done.
    When I looked at the Games Ben would miss before the season started,I had this one marked as a win.I still feel good about their chances,but I'm a little more cautious. It should be hot in Tampa this week so anything could happen,but I hope the Steelers will be sitting at 3-0 Sunday. With that, THE BUCS SUCK!!
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: It's Buccaneer Week!

Big game for the "good guys" IMO.... A 3-0 record would do us wonders.... Can't underestimate the Bucs either....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Never underestimate the value of any win. I don't care if it's by a single point - the game is always yours to lose. Do not let your opponent take it from you." - My old Rugby coach, 1983.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

I also remember Hardy Nickerson leaving the Steelers after the 1992 season to join the Bucs,where he had a very nice career.

Thinking about it, I couldn't remember many people feeling antipathy toward the Buccaneers here. It's a game of Walrus and Squirrel - since they both inhabit different environments they don't have a whole lot to do with each other beyond rare encounters.

The TV commentators trying to make interesting that way could be fun.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 440

Another hot one expected

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

The Steelers will preach a similar theme this week that they did last as they prepare to go to Tampa to take on the Buccaneers hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate.

Temperatures in Tennessee were in the 90s with an even higher heat index on the field and similar conditions could welcome the Steelers to Florida.

But the Steelers, who will wear black jerseys again this week, wont allow the weather to be a factor.

We have to play in it, said Coach Mike Tomlin. Its going to be hot on their sideline as well. Ive coached football down there. This time of year when you coach football down there you like to feel good about the climate in that its a winning edge. But the reality is that if you dont get off the field and make the necessary plays you need to make it could hurt you. Ive been a part of that. Were not going to get too caught up in it.

Last week the team rotated in offensive linemen because dehydration became an issue. Tomlin didnt commit to dressing an extra offensive lineman because of that, knowing the same thing can happen on the other side of the ball.

We have the same issues with our defensive line if they cant get off the field, said Tomlin. It wasnt an issue with our defense in the last game because we created turnovers. Those are natural issues or questions that you ask yourself going into a game. The reality is you cant carry extra bodies at all positions. So based on the matchup, our level of comfort and preparedness and health, those are the things that will kind of determine where we distribute the helmets.

Rookie Antonio Brown gave the Steelers an early spark against the Titans, returning the opening kickoff for a touchdown. But Tomlin wont commit just yet to Brown handling the duties again this week.

He made a pretty good case for himself, but I can be a tough guy to work with sometimes so we will see how the week unfolds, said Tomlin.

Lawrence Timmons is off to a strong start, but it doesnt surprise Tomlin at all.

I really thought that he was on course a year ago, said Tomlin. He missed four plus games and it was limited in some others due to the high ankle injury that he had, but the play that he is exhibiting right now is no different than the play that he exhibited a year ago when healthy. I thought the light came on for him a year ago.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...0-cb4e0920fdf5

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

*Shaking Fist Angrily* I hate the Buccaneers so much...........

Think they are so cool in there old Creamsicle uniforms and with their 0-26 start to their franchise.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    *Shaking Fist Angrily* I hate the Buccaneers so much...........

Think they are so cool in there old Creamsicle uniforms and with their 0-26 start to their franchise.

True story-my ex-wife likes the Buccaneers.......................because of the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post

True story-my ex-wife likes the Buccaneers.......................because of the weather.
    That's honestly the kind of criteria choice that baffles me. Still, at least it wasn't for the winking emblem.

Quick Scout on the Tampa Bay Bucs
    September 22, 2010

New offensive coordinator (he replaced Jeff Jagodzinski last September) is Greg Olson. He comes from the vertical passing school Scott Linehan has installed in St. Louis.

Nice link to basic vertical passing concepts here; http://www.scribd.com/doc/23302609/G...ssing-Concepts Most of the route combinations flood either all three deep zones or one side of the field. The former puts a ton of pressure on the ILB w/deep middle responsibility to get deep in his drops and take away the seams. The latter looks for the voids between the deep and flat zones.

One way to take both away? Play a Cover 3, where the corners drop into deep thirds with the FS. It leaves the hook and curl zones to be covered by the SS and LBs and little room for blitzing unless it's within a zone concept with a D-lineman dropping.

Player to watch: Kellen Winslow in the seams and voids.

Raheem Morris controls the defense and has developed a hybrid Tampa 2 that gives as many 3-4 looks as 4-3 looks. On early, running downs it focuses on aggressiveness: 8 men in the box and man coverage outside with a single deep safety. On passing downs they revert back to flooding the secondary and rushing just four. Finding open receivers in those instances could take a while.

Establishing the run early, regardless of its effectiveness will be the key. Making play-action a weapon will rely on sticking with the run even when there are 8 in the box and knowing when to shift gears and go deep on early downs. 3rd & long will be hard to convert against the Tampa 2, so the offense will hing on 1st down.

Player to watch: 1st half Mendenhall, 2nd half Heath.

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations...0&post=5602808
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 8

I hate the Bucs for winning almost as many games as our Bucs every year.

**** you.....**** YOU TO HELL!!!!!

Steelers at Buccaneers will have a defensive emphasis, particularly on Pittsburgh's part. That D has a classic Steel Curtain look.

Victories by the Buccaneers and Bears will stamp them as surprise contenders in the NFC. Wins by the Steelers and Packers will further stamp them as Super Bowl candidates.

After shutting down Atlanta and Tennessee, teams that managed big offensive outputs in their other two games, the Steelers are just 2-point favorites at Tampa. The reason is their uncertainty at quarterback, where either a preseason fourth-stringer (Charlie Batch) or a QB who was cut on the weekend, then re-signed Monday (Byron Leftwich) will start. Plus, the Bucs seem to be maturing on both sides of the ball.

Still, wins over Cleveland and Carolina don't provide enough evidence that the Bucs are ready for James Harrison, Troy Polamalu and company.

STEELERS, 15-3
    http://www.foxcarolina.com/sports/25115818/detail.html

TAMPA - When the Bucs made Josh Freeman the starter in week 9 last season a new era of Buccaneer football was ushered in. Closed was the book on washed up, retread veteran QBs, that brought more panic than poise. Bucs fans thought they had seen the last of the Garcia's, Johnson's, and Leftwich's. It was a new day in Tampa Bay, and if Bucs fans never had to see Byron Leftwich again, they knew they would be better for it.

But like a bug that refuses to die Byron Leftwich has some how found new life and will crawl his way back onto the field at Raymond James Stadium this Sunday. At least this time it's for the opposing team: The 2-0 Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Steelers must have upset a witch doctor. The AFC North powerhouse has been so stricken at quarterback that the current battle for starting time is between Leftwich and Charlie Batch. Franchise Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger continued his trend of tumultuous off seasons by adding rape allegations to his already dubious off field resume right along side civil suit charges of sexual assault and a motorcycle accident. Though no criminal charges were filed the damage was dealt in the form of a Rodger Goodell issued four game suspension. Leftwich won the starting job out of camp but was cut after sustaining a knee injury in the final preseason game. Second year man out of Oregon Dennis Dixon was then named the starter for week one.

Dixon fared well in the opener against the Flacons, tallying 236 yards of passing on 18 of 28 attempts. However, he tore his lateral meniscus in the first half of the week two game against Tennessee and will miss three to five weeks following surgery to repair the ligament. He was relieved by Charlie Batch and the offense sputtered to a victory based entirely on the merits of seven turnovers on defense.

Leftwich was resigned this week after being cut at the end of camp, but Charlie Batch may still end up being the starter on Sunday, as Leftwich is also recovering from a sprained knee. With all this turmoil under center it is almost guaranteed that Raheems good buddy, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, will lean heavily on his running game and vaunted defense to win this game.

Rashard Mendenhall has taken the reins of the starting running back job following the release of veteran Willie Parker. Through two games Mendenhall has racked up 189 yards on 45 carries, the most dramatic of which a 50 yard overtime touchdown scamper in week one versus Atlanta. Expect the Steelers to run early and often, and expect the Bucs defense to game plan heavily to bottle up Mendenhall, often loading up eight men in the box to stop the run. The Bucs will surely challenge Charlie Batch into beating us with his arm and if that happens then the Bucs probably don't deserve to win this one.

Having spent all this time discussing the offense is certainly a disservice to the Pittsburgh Steeler Defense. The outstanding unit is without a doubt the sole reason this team comes in undefeated. They lead the league in takeaway differential at +6 and rank 4th in rushing defense. They bottled up Michael Turner and Chris Johnson in back to back weeks and cause fits for opposing offensive coordinators.

Buccaneer's Offensive Coordinator Greg Olson is going to have his work cut out for him game planning for the Pittsburgh 3-4 defense. The hope is that having faced Miami, who runs a very similar scheme, and Cleveland already (both use 3-4 defenses) that the Bucs will have some experience operating against it. However, neither of those teams have James Harrison or Troy Polamalu roaming the defensive backfield. Expect to see lots of running early from Cadillac Williams but don't be surprised if its ineffective. Josh Freeman will need to contiune being careful with the football and not force the ball into coverage.

This game has all the makings of a slug fest, a defensive battle that will be won with takeaways and field position. Special teams and turnovers will be critical. If the Buccaneers defense can continue their stellar defensive play, including a 2 game streak of not allowing any points in the second half, and continue to make impact plays on offense they may have enough to finish Sunday an improbable 3-0.

http://tampabay.sbnation.com/2010/9/...s-at-tampa-bay

Threads : 12

Buccanneer safety Tenard Jackson has been suspended for 1 year. Violation of the NFL substance abuse rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoreKeeper View Post
    I hate the Bucs for winning almost as many games as our Bucs every year.

**** you.....**** YOU TO HELL!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information