Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates AFL Roster Finalized

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pirates AFL Roster Finalized

Pirates' AFL roster finalized
    By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com | 09/21/10 10:19 PM ET

PITTSBURGH -- The Pirates have finalized their Arizona Fall League roster and will be sending pitchers Aaron Pribanic, Brian Leach and Justin Wilson to play for the Mesa Solar Sox next month.

The organization's participating position players -- catcher Tony Sanchez, infielders Josh Harrison and Jordy Mercer and outfielder Andrew Lambo -- had already been previously announced.

Pirates director of player development Kyle Stark said that only one of the three pitchers (likely Wilson) will be a starter for the Solar Sox, though there is no need to read anything into that decision. The organization has targeted innings counts that it doesn't want its pitchers to exceed, and there are only so many starting spots available.

Wilson is coming off a strong end to his season, as he recently helped Double-A Altoona capture the Eastern League Championship title. Wilson, the Pirates' fifth-round pick in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, pitched 13 scoreless innings in the playoffs.

The left-hander went 11-8 with a 3.09 ERA in 27 regular-season appearances (26 starts). He struck out 134, but walked 71 in 142 2/3 innings.

Pribanic and Leach both spent the year pitching in Class A Bradenton's rotation. Pribanic, who was acquired from the Mariners in the Jack Wilson trade last year, finished 7-6 with a 3.33 ERA in 27 starts. A 25th-round pick in 2008, Leach posted a 3.85 ERA and a 9-9 record in 27 games (25 starts).

AFL action begins on Oct. 12.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...k_pit&c_id=pit
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pirates AFL Roster Finalized

I dont like that Wilson is pitching in the AFL.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont like that Wilson is pitching in the AFL.

Why?...because he already pitched a full minor league season.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Why?...because he already pitched a full minor league season.
    Yes.

Let me provide more than "yes." I dont like him pitching in the AFL because unlike some I think he is one of the best pitchers in our organization and with the number of innings and pitches he threw this year I do not like the fact that he'll be going into the AFL and throwing more.

Furthermore, I am not sure about the success ratio, but I am quite convinced that sending players to the AFL does not entail future success...D'Arnaud struggled this year for example.

The Pirates have a good pitcher in Wilson and certainly a pitcher who steps up in BIG games...something that we are going to need...and I think it is an inappropriate decision to send him to the AFL.
    Last edited by BigBen2112; Sep-22-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 36

I'm a big fan of Wilson as well. I'm sure he will be limited in innings and pitches. I would love to see him get his walk rate down below 3 per 9.

Yes.

Let me provide more than "yes." I dont like him pitching in the AFL because unlike some I think he is one of the best pitchers in our organization and with the number of innings and pitches he threw this year I do not like the fact that he'll be going into the AFL and throwing more.

Furthermore, I am not sure about the success ratio, but I am quite convinced that sending players to the AFL does not entail future success...D'Arnaud struggled this year for example.

The Pirates have a good pitcher in Wilson and certainly a pitcher who steps up in BIG games...something that we are going to need...and I think it is an inappropriate decision to send him to the AFL.
    I sympathize with your reasoning but I don’t believe it’s that big of a deal. As Lup said his innings will be monitored very closely…most starters only go 3 innings a start in that league.

I sympathize with your reasoning but I don’t believe it’s that big of a deal. As Lup said his innings will be monitored very closely…most starters only go 3 innings a start in that league.
    I am not sure that I can name too many players recently who have gone to the AFL and come back and had a good year the next year. Its scary when you are talking about one of our best pitchers...and one that is relatively close to the majors.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 197

Most guys who were good prospects going in had good seasons the following year. The failure rate doesn't seem much higher than guys who don't go. Some recent success stories for the season following:

2009: Brent Morel, Jose Tabata, Starlin Castro, Danny Espinosa, Ike Davis, Brandon Laird, Drew Storen, Mike Leake, Stephen Strasburg, Ian Kennedy

2008: Tyler Flowers, Gordon Beckham, Logan Morrison, Brett Wallace, Kyle Blanks, Matt Wieters, Josh Thole, Julio Borbon, Nolan Reimold, Tommy Hanson, Bud Norris, Kris Medlen, Phil Hughes, Doug Fister, Max Scherzer, Brian Matusz

How about someone else close to home....Tony Watson. He played in the AFL last fall and followed that up by having the best year of his career in 2010.

If the AFL is helpful and a good idea then why isn't Rudy Owens going?

Yes, Owens has less to work on than Wilson. I am, however, still leery of pitching Wilson in the AFL...I think really with his K-ability that he has a high ceiling.
    Hidden Content

[HIGH-LIGHT]If the AFL is helpful and a good idea then why isn't Rudy Owens going?[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Yes, Owens has less to work on than Wilson. I am, however, still leery of pitching Wilson in the AFL...I think really with his K-ability that he has a high ceiling.
    What kind of logic is that? Locke isn't going and neither is Morris. So what? There are only so many spots open for each team and obviously the Pirates think Wilson would benefit most. He does have control issues maybe they want him to work on that aspect of his game.

What kind of logic is that? Locke isn't going and neither is Morris. So what? There are only so many spots open for each team and obviously the Pirates think Wilson would benefit most. He does have control issues maybe they want him to work on that aspect of his game.
    I know the logic wasn't great...thats why I discussed it further...I just am not a huge fan of it.
    Hidden Content

I know the logic wasn't great...thats why I discussed it further...I just am not a huge fan of it.

Benny you do understand that most minor leaguers and a good many major leaguers play some sort of fall/winter ball. So if he wasn't going to the AFL he probably would have pitched somewhere else this off season. I think you are over reacting to a non issue.

Since you are a Wilson fan you should be ecstatic that the Pirates think so highly of him which is evident by his placement in the primer fall league for prospects.

Games start today in about 4 hours. Tony Sanchez is supposed to be blogging for MLB.com, though his first post isn't up yet.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winter...jsp?league=afl

4 Pirates in the starting lineup for the opener today.

Josh Harrison (DH) 0-4, RBI
    Andrew Lambo (LF) 2-5, 2 K
    Tony Sanchez (C) 1-5, 2 K, passed ball
    Jordy Mercer (SS) 1-4, 2 errors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information