Thread: NFL bans Bucs Jackson

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NFL bans Bucs Jackson

Tanard Jackson suspended
    By Pat Yasinskas
    ESPN.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Tanard Jackson has been suspended indefinitely for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, the team announced Wednesday afternoon.

Jackson is suspended for the rest of the season and is not eligible for possible reinstatement until Sept. 22, 2011. He will not be paid while he is suspended.

"Tanard is a talented young man whom we hope is able to use this year to put his troubles behind him and ultimately return a stronger man and player," general manager Mark Dominik said. "It's up to Tanard whether the teams and our fans eventually realize his considerable promise."

Jackson was supended for the first four games of the 2009 season for violating the substance abuse policy. Despite the four-game ban last season, Jackson finished with five interceptions in 12 starts. He had 13 tackles in two games this season, helping Tampa Bay to its first 2-0 start in five years.

Fourth-year pro Sabby Piscitelli, who lost the strong safety job to Sean Jones during training camp, is one possible replacement. Rookie Cody Grimm, a seventh-round pick, is listed as the backup on Tampa Bay's depth chart. Corey Lynch, a third-year player, is listed as the third team free safety.

"Talking to coach [Raheem] Morris, obviously we have a position open. He's going to take the next few days to determine who's going to be the starter going forward," Dominik said. "We are happy we did have guys like Corey Lynch and Cody Grimm and Sabby Piscitelli, and obviously Sean Jones, who played well enough to be on this team."

When Jackson, who has eight career interceptions, returned from last year's suspension, he talked about how difficult it was being away from the team and how much football means to him.

"I could sit here and go on forever as to how much I learned. The main thing is that this is what I love to do, this is what I'm blessed to do," he said in October.

"I definitely felt I let my team down," Jackson added at the time. "I disappointed myself, but your actions affect others around you, and that's one thing that hit home."

Jackson, 25, was a fourth-round pick by Tampa Bay in 2007.

NFL blogger Pat Yasinskas covers the NFC South for ESPN.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NFL bans Bucs Jackson

Ahh... he wasn't going to matter much in trying to stop our high powered Passing machine
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 102
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ahh... he wasn't going to matter much in trying to stop our high powered Passing machine

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe not. I don't know how much they use him to blitz or if he was strong against the run, but every back up the opposition Fields is always a +

Threads : 88

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    Maybe not. I don't know how much they use him to blitz or if he was strong against the run, but every back up the opposition Fields is always a +
    It's reassuring to know that we aren't the only ones with replacements operating in the squad, too. I was also hoping that last week's Bungles/Ratbirds game would generate a few injuries for just the train of though you used here.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    Your sarcasm meter must be off today

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    It's reassuring to know that we aren't the only ones with replacements operating in the squad, too. I was also hoping that last week's Bungles/Ratbirds game would generate a few injuries for just the train of though you used here.
    I'm sure guys are banged up and bruised. No doubt Ray Lewis' stabbing hand is a little sore

Threads : 87

Your sarcasm meter must be off today
    What?

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bucs rookie Grimm to start at free safety
    By ROY CUMMINGS | The Tampa Tribune
    Published: September 23, 2010

TAMPA - [HIGH-LIGHT]Rookie Cody Grimm will replace Tanard Jackson as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' starting free safety against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday[/HIGH-LIGHT], Coach Raheem Morris said.

"He's the next guy on our depth chart,'' Morris said. "He's the backup free safety and he's played well, played hard. This is his chance.''

Jackson was suspended indefinitely by the NFL on Wednesday for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Grimm was a seventh-round draft pick, 210 overall, from Virginia Tech. he is the son of Hall of Fame offensive lineman and Arizona Cardinals assistant coach Russ Grimm.

Grimm played exclusively on special teams during the first two games, but saw action at safety in the preseason.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/sep...BO+%3E+Bucs%29
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information