Thread: Batch Named Starter for Sunday

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Batch Named Starter for Sunday

Batch Named Starter for Sunday

September 23rd, 2010 2:15am | The Show | Category: Steelers
    http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...sunday/3281172

The Steelers named Charlie Batch the starter for Sunday’s game against the Bucs. This will be his first start since 2007.

Batch held the team together last week but did not do anything special. If you look back through the game though, he did throw 2 touchdowns. One pass was dropped by Hines Ward while another to Mike Wallace was called back on a holding penalty. So he was able to get the ball out at least somewhat. Mostly, he just kept the team from losing by keeping his mistakes down.

Recently resigned and rehabilitated Byron Leftwich will be the backup quarterback for this game. Leftwich returned to the team Monday and is still nursing a knee injury sustained in the preseason.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Batch Named Starter for Sunday

... Old news....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 440

Charlie Batch returns from the pasture

Mike Bires Beaver County Times
    Thursday September 23, 2010 12:03 AM

PITTSBURGH — Charlie Batch’s demise was greatly exaggerated.

Just a few weeks ago, he seemed like the odd man out, a forgotten man in the Steelers’ wild and wacky quarterback rotation.

But on Sunday, Batch, at 35, will start for the Steelers as they try to improve to 3-0.

“It feels good,” Batch said after practice Wednesday. “All along, I wanted to throw my hat into the ring as one of the options during these first four games. I never imagined it would turn out this way. But here we go.”

With Ben Roethlisberger suspended for the first four games, Byron Leftwich was the first choice to start the opener. But Leftwich sprained his knee in the final preseason game, and Dennis Dixon started the first two games. But he’s out with a torn meniscus in his knee.

So now the Steelers turn to Batch, who admits that even he wondered during training camp if he’d be cut this year. After all, he was the fourth man in a rotation that had Roethlisberger, Leftwich and Dixon getting far more practice repetitions.

“No, I never thought my career was over,” Batch said. “I just didn’t know how things would play out here. I don’t think anyone could have imagined how it would have played out here because this (situation) was the first of it kind.

“Someone had to get the short end of the stick and it was me.”

It’s somewhat ironic that Batch is the only quarterback on the Steelers’ roster right now who hasn’t been injured yet this year. Three weeks ago when coach Mike Tomlin chose Dixon over Batch, he said that one reason was Batch’s tendency to get hurt in recent years.

Batch missed the 2008 season after breaking his shoulder in a preseason game. Last Nov. 22, he suffered a broken wrist after relieving Roethlisberger, who had sustained a concussion, in a loss in Kansas City.

“I’ll let you all (in the media speculate) on that,” Batch said. “If that was the reason, and I guess it was because (Tomlin) gave it, the only way I could prove it (wrong) was by being out there. So, I had to get out there during the preseason and show it. In the Tennessee game, I took a couple shots and was able to stand up. I didn’t have any problems.”

After Dixon got hurt, Batch played three full quarters in the 19-11 win over the Titans. He completed only 5 of 11 passes for 25 yards. But according to Tomlin, at least three well-thrown passes by Batch should have or could have been caught.

“Charlie may have been counted out by everybody else, but for us, we all know what Charlie can do,” tackle Max Starks said. “I’ve been here for games where Charlie started, and I think Charlie’s a great quarterback and a very smart player. He’s almost like a coach out there.”

“He’s been with the starters. He’s been with the second team. He’s been with the third team,” added wide receiver Hines Ward. “He probably understands this offense better than anybody.”

Batch’s start Sunday will be his first since the final game of the 2007 season. He started the regular-season finale in Baltimore when Tomlin rested Roethlisberger and a few other starters because the Steelers had already clinched the AFC North.

“Here I am again,” Batch said. “All I can do is be ready and go out and take advantage of this opportunity.”

Off to a good and bad start

James Harrison looks like he’s ready to earn his fourth straight trip to the Pro Bowl. Harrison was the most dominant defender in last Sunday’s win at Tennessee with nine solo tackles, two sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery and was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week. He forced fumbles on both of his sacks of Titans quarterback Vince Young and now has 41.5 career sacks. He’s ninth on the Steelers’ all-time sack list, just ahead of Ernie Holmes (40). He was also fined $5,000 for slamming Young to the turf.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...e-pasture.html

Threads : 10
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good news! I've called for Charlie Batch all along. Now if the WR's can catch what he throws to them, we might actually score an offensive touchdown, lol.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I might as well stick with my same MO I've been touting since Week 1 ....

It won't make a difference if Batch is QB if he's turning the ball over. Anything else on top of that is a plus.

I wonder how much more of the playbook gets opened up for Batch. The guy knows the playbook as well as anyone, he's experienced enough in that he can call protection and recoginze defensive schemes and blitzes.. I just hope that Bruce Arians doesn't get too excited about having a better passer and experienced QB and goes a tad pass happy. The less we throw, the less mistakes we'll make. I'll take being 4-0 with ****ty O-Line stats, Top 4 rushing attempts and dead last passing attempts
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 29

I think the fact we actually have a competent LT playing this week, combined with a QB that can read defense means the play book will be opened up. At least a little.

In short, they don't need to protect Batch the way they were protecting Dixon.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Batch does know how to play the game at least...he can move up in the pocket and read defenses. He was the better choice over Dixon as it was.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 215

Let's hope Batch and Leftwich both stay healthy. Ben could still get hurt when he's at game speed in a few weeks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information