Thread: I'm sick of hearing this ****! The fan base is the most TRAVELED !!

Threads : 28
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Angry I'm sick of hearing this ****! The fan base is the most TRAVELED !!

:RANT ON:
    Kerry J. Byrne
    SI.com
    Thursday September 23, 2010

It's safe to call the Steelers the premier NFL franchise of the Super Bowl Era. They were the first franchise to win three Super Bowls, the first to win four, and the only franchise that's won six Super Bowls.

The fan base is the most rabid in the nation -- easily the best traveling fans in pro football.
    WTF do people NOT UNDERSTAND that Steeler Nation is EVERYWHERE ??????

We don't NEED to TRAVEL to enemy territory BECAUSE WE ARE ALREADY THERE !!!!!

I mean seriously! WTF don't broadcaster understand about this concept ????

Myself, I grew up in the Burgh and have lived in the Dayton, Ohio area since 1986. NOT being BIASED, but it is a simple FACT that there are MORE Steeler's fans here than Stains fans and Bunghole fans COMBINED !!!

"Maybe" the broadcasters have a point.... When I want to go see the Steeler's play the Bungholes down in Cincy, I WILL HAVE TO "TRAVEL" (70) miles South to get there!

:RANT OVER:

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I'm sick of hearing this ****! The fan base is the most TRAVELED !!

Quote Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :RANT ON:
    WTF do people NOT UNDERSTAND that Steeler Nation is EVERYWHERE ??????

We don't NEED to TRAVEL to enemy territory BECAUSE WE ARE ALREADY THERE !!!!!

I mean seriously! WTF don't broadcaster understand about this concept ????

Myself, I grew up in the Burgh and have lived in the Dayton, Ohio area since 1986. NOT being BIASED, but it is a simple FACT that there are MORE Steeler's fans here than Stains fans and Bunghole fans COMBINED !!!

"Maybe" the broadcasters have a point.... When I want to go see the Steeler's play the Bungholes down in Cincy, I WILL HAVE TO "TRAVEL" (70) miles South to get there!

:RANT OVER:
    I agree. It's like they take 1 term and use it for everyone without reallty thinking about what it means.

Did Steelers fans really travel all the way down to Dallas to overtake Texas Stadium in 2004? Overtake to the point where even the announcers were in complete shock? I'm pretty sure it was Aikman and Buck too
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263

Yes, it's true... We are everywhere...

I had either read/heard a story explaining why. After the fall of the steel industry, folks started moving away for other forms of work as the children grew-up. But even though they left, they retained their fandom that was inherited/passed down from their parents, thus placing Steelers fans all over the country.

... Now, whether there is any weight to this, I can't say for sure... But we do travel well also...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 28

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post

I had either read/heard a story explaining why. After the fall of the steel industry, folks started moving away for other forms of work as the children grew-up. But even though they left, they retained their fandom that was inherited/passed down from their parents, thus placing Steelers fans all over the country.

... Now, whether there is any weight to this, I can't say for sure... But we do travel well also...
    That's only partially true.

Steeler Nation grew mainly because we're the BEST FRIGGING NFL FRANCISE ON THE PLANET and most people realize this fact!

I got here (in this hell hole called Dayton) because I was in the USAF. I Retired here and now have a great job with the VA. Otherwise, I would move back to SW PA.

Threads : 215

This is very true! I was one who stayed behind, without a decent job for over 5 years. I watched them all leave. Back then losing a job was tragic, now it's almost expected. It's actually how some Steelers taverns were started. Out of work or forced into retirement people from our part of the country had to move on and do something else. It is a big reason for the STEELERS fans being everywhere...................That and what Katmandu said!

Threads : 1

I think this certainly plays a part in it. In Philadelphia, I've met a ton of people in the same boat as me, people who moved here for school, and then stayed afterward. I've also met a ton of Pittsburgh transplants, mostly younger, recent transplants.

I'm sure that the Steelers also developed a fan based nationwide from the 70s teams, but what is impressive is the staying power. I remember when there were a ton of 49ers bandwagon fans from the Montana and Young eras, but you don't see them anymore. Despite the Steelers tough run in the 80s, that part of the fan base seems to remain as well.

Threads : 7
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm 34 and live in Western Maryland. I was just realizing what the Steelers were at the end of our great run of 4 superbowls. I believe the Colt's left Baltimore in 1983, but in Western Maryland it really wasn't a big deal. The Steelers ruled that entire area. Once the Ravens were born back in Baltimore sporting their little sissy purple colors and a **** bird, western maryland just laughed and mocked their team in what just reminded us here how pathetic the State of Maryland and the city of Baltimore is.

About 2 years ago they had a poll in the local newspaper. Of course the Steelers won in a landslide, but it was about 55% Steelers, 18% Ravens, 18% Redskins and the rest was other team. I love it when one of these minority (1 out of 6 people) Raven fans start whining about, "you live in Maryland, why don't you like the Ravens". Usually I start with the fact of being the team being from Murdermore, Maryland and the fact that they chose the color purple. Of course that really isn't the reason, but it ****es them off.

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've lived in Las Vegas and now the San Francisco bay area for the last few years and I've met people that are fans that have never set foot in Pittsburgh or even Pennsylvania.

The reasons they've given me are that they're parents were fans and they moved during the 70's or they became fans themselves during that time.

That's probably because the only games that were nationally televised back then were the playoffs.

If you lived in Timbuktu the Super Bowl may have been the only game you saw.
    It's not like now, when anyone with satellite or even a driver's license to get to the sports bar can see every game.

Also do you guys remember when the only people with jerseys either, A. had it made, B. knew somebody, or C. had one of those crappy Hutch ones?
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information