Thread: Legursky proving he belongs

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Legursky proving he belongs

Legursky proving he belongs
    September 24, 2010
    By: JIM WEXELL
    Herald Standard

PITTSBURGH - As Larry Zierlein was leaving town this past off-season, the former Steelers offensive line coach said to keep an eye on one of his little-used reserves, a plucky and undrafted center-guard out of Marshall named Doug Legursky.

Zierlein was right. [HIGH-LIGHT]Not only did Legursky make the team over last year's third-round draft pick Kraig Urbik, he was kept over last year's starting center, Justin Hartwig.[/HIGH-LIGHT] And, this with first-round draft pick Maurkice Pouncey moving into the lineup.

It was part of a necessary upgrade inside. But not only did Legursky make the team, he's starting the third game of the season at right guard.

"He just has a great grasp of the offense and he knows what he's doing," said left tackle Max Starks. "When he's out there, it's almost like having a second center because he recognizes and calls out plays."

Legursky, of course, is a natural center. He was a three-time All-Conference USA center at Marshall University, where he started his final 32 games. Undrafted, Legursky signed with the Steelers in 2008, was released twice before the start of the season, but joined the practice squad on Oct. 1 after right guard Kendall Simmons injured his Achilles' tendon.

Legursky made the active roster in 2009, dressed for eight games, played in two as a right guard, one as a left guard and one as a fullback. The 6-1, 323-pounder replaced injured Trai Essex at right guard last week for a dozen snaps and will start there Sunday at Tampa Bay.

"We looked over tape and I had a pretty good game," Legursky said of last Sunday's game. "There were some things we could've done better. I could've done better technique-wise on a few things. We were pretty clean on assignment stuff. We just have to grow from that. I got my first opportunity to show what I could do. I'll have another opportunity this week to prove I can play in this league."

[HIGH-LIGHT]As Starks pointed out, Legursky can play all three interior positions and has become one of the team's most valuable reserves.[/HIGH-LIGHT] Who could've seen that coming two years ago?

"I'm not surprised, but it was definitely tough to see it back a couple years ago," he said. "I'm sure others are surprised. That's fine. I don't mind being the underdog. A lot of people overlooked me in the past. That's fine with me. I just need to stay focused on working hard, staying humble, and going out there and doing my best."

Not that he's living the life of a highly paid NFL player. Legursky said he lives a simple life with his wife and dog in Pittsburgh, and the couple still has their place amid his family back home in Beckley, West Virginia.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Did Legursky grow up a Steelers fan?

"No, actually I was a Dallas fan," he said with a sly grin.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    "In West Virginia we don't have a pro team so everybody cheers for the Steelers or the Cowboys. My old man was a Dallas fan so I automatically became a Dallas fan. But I always did respect the Steelers and everything they did and the way they played football. I just couldn't root against the Cowboys with my old man around. You know how that goes."

Legursky actually possesses the work ethic and humility of the stereotypical Pittsburgh Steeler, which is the much-chronicled opposite of the glitz and gloss of the stereotypical Dallas Cowboy.

"Like I said, I always respected the Steelers for what they did and what they stood for and the nitty-gritty football that they played," he said. "I always did like that. But don't let my old man hear that."

http://www.heraldstandard.com/news_d...belongs-b.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Legursky proving he belongs

Go Herd!

Legursky's unflagging dedication pays off
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, September 24, 2010

Doug Legursky waited by the phone two years ago, hoping for a call that he wasn't sure would come.

Now it is all but certain that the player known as "Bronco" or simply "Bronc" to his teammates will make his first NFL start Sunday at Tampa Bay.

Right guard Trai Essex, who did not practice again yesterday, is nursing a sprained ankle and his left foot is still in a protective boot. Legursky, meanwhile, is next in line when it comes to the Steelers' battered offensive line.

Assuming Essex doesn't play against the Buccaneers, Legursky will complete another leg in what has been a fairly remarkable journey.

[IMGL]http://i53.tinypic.com/2w7q2qq.jpg[/IMGL]Legursky was released before training camp after signing with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in April 2008. Now, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians joked yesterday, the Steelers can't get rid of him.

"He's just one of those guys that you try to run off all the time and you can't," Arians said. "He comes back every time and plays better. Every time we've put him in any position, whether it's fullback, guard, center, he's succeeded."

His athleticism and strength — the West Virginia native is a former state champion in weightlifting — coupled with the career he had at Marshall make it a surprise that Legursky didn't get an invite to the 2008 NFL scouting combine — and that he had to crash the gates just to make it to the NFL.

But a month into the 2008 season Legursky was still looking for work, and he can only wonder what might have been had former Steelers guard Kendall Simmons not ruptured his Achilles tendon.

The Steelers signed Legursky to their practice squad following the season-ending injury to Simmons, and the 6-foot-1, 323-pounder has been on the rise ever since.

Included in those who Legursky has beaten out on his way to the role of primary backup at the three interior line positions is Kraig Urbik, the Steelers' second pick (third round) in the 2009 draft.

"I followed the road map of (defensive tackle) Chris Hoke, undrafted guy, and this is his 10th year in the league," said Legursky, who is in his second season on the 53-man roster. "He's made a career out of being a hard-nosed guy."

Legursky is not nearly as outgoing as Hoke, but he is not quiet anymore either, reflecting a new comfort level in the Steelers' roster.

Earlier this week, in fact, the guy who once may have garnered votes for the least talkative Steeler played Ping-Pong before practice with perhaps the chattiest one, linebacker Larry Foote.

"All my buddies said the same about me when I came into college; they said I didn't talk to anybody," Legursky said. "I think that's just some respect for the older guys, knowing your place and just staying focused and working hard."

His hard work could pay off again for Legursky on Sunday when he takes yet another step on his unlikely career path.

"He's a great example of how hard work and dedication can give you a great opportunity," quarterback and fellow Marshall alum Byron Leftwich said. "I'm happy for him to see him get an opportunity to play, because I believe he'll do very well."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_701048.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go Herd!
    I still think Doc will get them in the right direction.

Legursky is the prototypical "scrapper". Gotta like guys like that.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 60

I believe Legs will now take over the spot at guard and Essex will be the backup even when Essex gets healthy.

Threads : 215

Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    Freakin' spot-on cool!...........

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    I still think Doc will get them in the right direction.

Legursky is the prototypical "scrapper". Gotta like guys like that.
    yeah this guys alright

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    yeah this guys alright
    Gotta love the Big Legursky!
    Hidden Content and the pirates...

Threads : 440

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I believe Legs will now take over the spot at guard and Essex will be the backup even when Essex gets healthy.

Essex could be a valuable G/T backup on game days...man, I would love to see Legursky play well and keep the starting job!

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Essex could be a valuable G/T backup on game days...man, I would love to see Legursky play well and keep the starting job!
    x2

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thus begins his looooong consecutive games played streak. Nice Jersey 'bones.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    Nice one!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really pulling for this kid.Hope he has a good showing tomorrow(and I'm sure he will.)

Anyone find it kinda funny that we are going to have 3 rookies(yes,I know Leg and Scott aren't rookies,but they virtually are)starting on the OL tomorrow?

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by Steely_J View Post
    Gotta love the Big Legursky!

To me he looked to be the smallest of our offensive linemen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information