Thread: Searage effect on starters?

Threads : 138

Default Searage effect on starters?

This was from today's game story by Dejan:

"It started with the resurgent Maholm allowing one run and six hits over his seven innings. He struck out seven, walked one and, maybe most important given his trademark sinker, 11 ground-ball outs.

"I just feel like I'm back to my regular mechanics," Maholm said. "It's good to be finishing like this."

Before the previous start, Maholm and pitching coach Ray Searage shifted the position of his left foot on the rubber, and the result has been "all of my pitches have gotten better," as Maholm put it. "

Default Re: Searage effect on starters?

This is also from Dejan a few days ago:

"Thursday, September 23, 2010
    By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Call it the Ray Searage effect?

The Pirates are in the midst of by far their best stretch of starting pitching all summer, 15 games in which the starters are 5-3 with a 3.46 ERA, the latter figure the fourth-best in the National League in that time.

Manager John Russell partly credited the addition of James McDonald, for his 0.90 ERA in the past three starts and for "challenging some of our other pitchers to try to follow suit." But Russell also credited the program and approach of Searage, who took over as pitching coach Aug. 8 when Joe Kerrigan was fired.

Specifically, Russell said that Searage's focus has been more on the process than the results.

"A lot of the things we've been talking about for the past month and a half is that we can't be so results-oriented. Those have to take care of themselves," Russell said. "Our guys have done that, and we're making progress. Unfortunately, it took until now. But they're looking at consistency with each pitch."

That latter aspect has been Searage's stressing point.

"It's all about going pitch to pitch, one at a time," he said. "If you commit yourself fully to that pitch, you've got a much better chance of success. If you're worried about this or that or things out of your control, you're in trouble right off the bat."

Several of the Pirates' pitchers -- and catchers -- have embraced Searage's style as compared to that of Kerrigan, who focused heavily on numbers as related to specific matchups such as, say, how a certain San Diego hitter fares against a 2-0 changeup with a runner on second. According to some in the clubhouse, Searage, in addition to being more hands-on with mechanical matters, has allowed pitchers and catchers more freedom to operate by feel. Statistical matchups continue to be advised, but not to the point where the pitcher is thinking about that 2-0 changeup before throwing his first pitch."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10266...#ixzz10gy09oVW

A bit more from Dejan:

"Thing is, it's a terribly small window to be discussing 15 games, just three turns through the rotation, and it might not even paint the fairest picture of Searage from the positive standpoint considering he has been without Ross Ohlendorf and Jeff Karstens.
    But, on the topic of that small window, Searage was explaining to me yesterday that it took him the better part of August just to get on the same page with the pitchers. That might sound weird considering Searage was right here all along as Joe Kerrigan's assistant, but a different program and different approach take time to administer, as he said. Moreover, there is no universal manual for a pitching coach. Every pitcher is different.

Has Searage made the difference?

That is extremely hard to tell. But good results are good results, and those have been extraordinarily scarce this summer."

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Joe Kerrigan was getting all sorts of praise for Ross Ohlendorf's improvement over the 2009 season, for Zach Duke posting his best numbers since his rookie season, Charlie Morton improving...

2009 - September

2010 - September

The way I see it.. you can't even have a discussion on this topic. Kerrigan got strong results in the month of September from his starters in 2009. Stronger than what Searage is right now. Yes, Searage is getting better results from his pitchers right now than we were earlier in the season from Kerrigan but who knows if any of it can be credited to Searage when you look at the results that Kerrigan got in September of 2009.

It would be nice if Searage can be the "man" but going into last offseason, Kerrigan was carrying strong praise from management and the media and we saw where that got us in 2010.

We're just going to have and wait and see the results of 2011. As it is now, everything is pretty much inconclusive IMO and says nothing about Searage one way or another
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dont know...I mean, really, could the Pirates pitching have gotten much worse?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 94

I have to agree with kipper. Not much useful information can be gleaned out of Sept pitching stats.

Dejan quotes Huntington on Searage:

"On whether or not the team would consider retaining pitching coach Ray Searage: “I think the numbers speak for themselves. Ray had an obvious impact on our bullpen earlier this season, with the growth of maturity of Hanrahan and Meek. Certainly the pitchers have thrown the ball better as of late, and Ray deserves his credit, and we certainly recognize that. There’s a reason he was added to the major-league staff. We believe he can make a positive impact on the pitchers under his care, and that’s something we’ll take into consideration.”

It's not Searage that's making the difference...it's Dean Treanor.

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dejan quotes Huntington on Searage:

"On whether or not the team would consider retaining pitching coach Ray Searage: “I think the numbers speak for themselves. Ray had an obvious impact on our bullpen earlier this season, with the growth of maturity of Hanrahan and Meek. Certainly the pitchers have thrown the ball better as of late, and Ray deserves his credit, and we certainly recognize that. There’s a reason he was added to the major-league staff. We believe he can make a positive impact on the pitchers under his care, and that’s something we’ll take into consideration.”
    I really... REALLY hope that Management doesn't try to force a would-be Head Coach candidate with Ray Searage if they do indeed fire John Russell. Most decent-good coaches most likely would decline to interview any further if they discovered that they were forced to be saddled with ANYONE from the 2010 Pittsburgh Pirates staff. I'd question any HC that took this job here knowing they were forced into having to keep a coach of one of the msot important positions on the team - Pitching

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I dont know...I mean, really, could the Pirates pitching have gotten much worse?
    It's tough to imagine it could have been.

Threads : 36

The new hire may want to retain someone like a Searage anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    The new hire may want to retain someone like a Searage anyway.
    They might, but it should be their option to retain Searage or not, not have him forced on them by Management

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    They might, but it should be their option to retain Searage or not, not have him forced on them by Management

If Searage or any other coach retained before a manager is hired that would be a good indicator that the next manager will not be a big name guy but a 1st time manager.

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    If Searage or any other coach retained before a manager is hired that would be a good indicator that the next manager will not be a big name guy but a 1st time manager.
    That's what I was thinking. A guy who has managed before,would probably have some people he has worked with in the past, and is comfortable with. A 1st time guywould probably be happy to get an opportunity,and would agree to managments terms about keeping coaches.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information