Thread: Harris: Too old? Adams proves he isn't

Threads : 440

Default Harris: Too old? Adams proves he isn't

Harris: Too old? Adams proves he isn't

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010

As much as Flozell Adams making the challenging switch from left tackle to right tackle has become the talk of the Steelers' locker room, so has Adams becoming one of the guys.

The Steelers' offensive line is a team within a team. It's a close-knit group that emboldened quiet left guard Chris Kemoeatu to welcome outsiders into his world. Put Kemoeatu in front of a microphone or camera these days, and he becomes a walking sound bite.

Willie Colon travels with the team and sits at a locker on game days even though he's out for the year with an Achilles injury. Colon's injury is why the Steelers signed Adams out of desperation. Adams' sense of wanting to belong explains his willingness to re-learn a position he hasn't played since college.

Little by little, Adams has loosened up around his new teammates and bought into the Steeler way.

"The Cowboys are past," Adams said. "I'm a Steeler, and I look forward to doing what I can to help the organization win."

Max Starks appreciates what Adams is doing. Starks and Adams are both left tackles, but Adams wanted to play for the Steelers. To do that, he had to learn a new position.

"He was an unknown (at right tackle). He had that question mark next to him," Starks said. "(But) there's a reason why he's a Pro Bowl guy. He's really embraced us. Our offensive line is different from most around the league. We're a very close unit. We're like brothers. He came in and we embraced him. He bought into the plan, and now he sees the payoff."

Adams played his first 12 seasons in Dallas, and then he was an ex-Cowboy. At 35, Adams' supposed flaw, the main flaw, actually, was age. As in too old and too slow.

What else could it be? Strength? Never a question for a man who still pushes defensive linemen around on running plays like he's shoving air.

Adams played left tackle for a dozen years; you have to pass block at a high level to play that position that long.

What attracted Adams to the Steelers was an opportunity to continue to start for a winner. What attracted the Steelers to Adams is that he's a devastating run blocker.

Despite his slow gait to the line of scrimmage, and despite a physique that isn't what it used to be, Adams holds his own in the running game.

In Sunday's 38-13 win at Tampa Bay, Adams and the right side of the line opened holes big enough to drive a sports utility vehicle through. Led by Rashard Mendenhall, the Steelers rushed for a season-high 201 yards. Mendenhall carried 19 times for 143 yards and a touchdown. On four runs behind right tackle, Mendenhall gained 63 yards. Mendenhall has topped 100 yards twice in the first three games after recording three 100-yard games last season.

As a pass blocker, Adams also graded high against Tampa Bay. Quarterback Charlie Batch, making his first start in three years, tossed three touchdown passes. The offensive line kept Batch upright and didn't allow a sack.

And now a player who seemed like a huge gamble when he arrived is becoming a mainstay.

"That's one of the things you go through," Adams said. "Just coming in, getting to know each other and learn particular calls. It's still the beginning of the season. Even though we're out of training camp and we're three games in, it's still a learning experience for all of us. You can have the best game of your life and still have some learning to do. The sky's the limit for us.''

Cloudy skies have turned sunny with Adams in the lineup.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_701555.html

sjdrewk

Default Re: Harris: Too old? Adams proves he isn't

Nice post. I agree with it too. Adams is surprisingly working out pretty well so far..

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice post. I agree with it too. Adams is surprisingly working out pretty well so far..

I have to admit, after watching him play in that first preseason game I thought Adams was too old and slow.

now, I'm really glad we signed him.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I have to admit, after watching him play in that first preseason game I thought Adams was too old and slow.

now, I'm really glad we signed him.
    Same here. I thought Adams was over the hill too.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2010

Mid-week thoughts

To a man, there's nobody in the Steelers locker room who does not expect Ray Rice to play Sunday.

That's the bottom line in this game. Neither team wants to be the first to blink. And Rice sitting out would be the Ravens blinking.

I asked Max Starks today if he's had to explain to all the new guys starting on the offensive line what kind of game they're in for.

He said he has with Maurkice Pouncey, but that Doug Legursky has been here long enough to have seen the battles.

I asked about Flozell Adams. He replied, "I don't have to explain anything to Flozell. He hates everybody. We just tell him, 'Flo, we don't like these guys.' He's like, 'Cool, I hate them too.'"

A reporter asked John Harbaugh today about the Stanford Cardinal, the team coached by his brother, Jim.

"They're kicking butt and taking names," Harbaugh said before correcting himself. "Actually, they're kicking so much butt they don't have time to take names."

Jim Wexell reminded me today how much I liked Cleveland running back Peyton Hillis coming out of college.

At the time, I thought Hillis might end up being a better player than the two guys he blocked for in the Arkansas backfield, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

I don't know if that has come to fruition, but McFadden and Jones have both been very injury prone.

Hillis, meanwhile, went for nearly 150 yards on Sunday against the Ravens.

The Steelers' practice Wednesday was more subdued than usual. Usually, they are very boisterous during practice.

But, as PR man Dave Lockett noted when I mentioned something about it to him, the Steelers weren't in pads.

Mike Tomlin was giving the players an easy day of practice in anticipation of the kind of game they will play in Sunday.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Adams has looked pretty good so far...if not dominate! He is such a big frickin guy!!! Let's just hope he can keep his head in check when he gets beat a few times, which is bound to happen.
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    Adams has looked pretty good so far...if not dominate! He is such a big frickin guy!!! Let's just hope he can keep his head in check when he gets beat a few times, which is bound to happen.

Flozell's a veteran who should know how to deal with adversity, I would worry more about a younger player such as Pouncey or Legursky having such a problem.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Flozell's a veteran who should know how to deal with adversity, I would worry more about a younger player such as Pouncey or Legursky having such a problem.
    ...tell that to Justin Tuck
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Threads : 60

I bet you the Cowboys would like to have him back because the one game I watched of the boys, Flozells replacement didn't look too good.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information