Thread: Ed: Steelers Have Whole New Outlook

Threads : 440

Default Ed: Steelers Have Whole New Outlook

Ed: Steelers Have Whole New Outlook

TUESDAY, 28 SEPTEMBER 2010 07:30 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

To borrow a phrase from old friend John Steigerwald, I was going to predict that Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon would lead the Steelers to a 3-0 record three weeks ago. But I forgot.

--- If you watch the replay of Rashard Mendenhall's 3-yard touchdown run off the right side in the second quarter Sunday, you will see on the left side Mike Wallace standing and looking up AT THE SCOREBOARD as the play unfolds, then raise his hands when he sees Mendenhall get into the end zone. Ah, shouldn't Mike at least make it look as though he might be running a pass pattern?

--- They actually debated on PTI last night whether Mike Tomlin would start Ben Roethlisberger when he returns for the fifth game.

--- No, I do not think the Steelers can go 16-0.

--- Upon further review, I believe Charlie Batch knew when he threw that first touchdown pass to Mike Wallace, that Cody Grimm would have no idea where the ball would be, thus was not risking an interception on that play.

--- Tampa's defensive line looked ferocious to start the game and then disappeared. Maybe they had enough of Doug Legursky.

--- The careers of Willie Parker and Justin Hartwig may be over. No one seems interested in Parker and Hartwig supposedly wants to hang them up. Each opened last season as starters Hartwig this training camp and that's just how fast it can go in the NFL. Just ask Trent Edwards. The Packers were interested in Parker before signing a practice squader from Atlanta.

--- Rashard Mendenhall is now on pace for 1,770 yards rushing with an average of slightly more than 110 per game. His average per carry is up to 5.2.

--- Mike Wallace, who led the NFL with a 19.4-yard average per reception last season, has a 26.7-yard average, although he only has seven catches.

--- The Steelers are 8-1 lifetime vs. Tampa Bay, that life beginning in 1976 when the Bucs were born. Their only loss came in the "crying game,'' when Bill Cowher pulled quarterback Kordell Stewart.

-- Flew back with a planeload of Steelers fans from Tampa yesterday. They were surprisingly subdued. All partied out, no doubt.

--- I gave you the Steelers Super Bowl odds at the start of the season. Hope a few of you placed some legal bets.

--- My 11-5 prediction made here the morning of the opener that looked so optimistic then looks a little conservative today. I have them losing to Baltimore in that scenario, but I'm not confident about that pick. I think the Steelers will beat the Ravens to go 4-0.

-- I probably will get more into this later, but free agency and the salary cap, installed in 1993, have been a boon to the success of the Steelers. Who would have thought? They were a small market team and had phenomenal success in the 1970s. But it was their only really successful decade in 60 years of football until the new system was adopted. It was a system Dan Rooney first resisted because of the free agency aspect. I have my reasons why the Steelers have flourished under this system, and I predicted it would happen too. Anyone want to offer their own reasons?

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...le-new-outlook

Threads : 12

Default Re: Ed: Steelers Have Whole New Outlook

Ed Bouchette says, "I have my reasons why the Steelers have flourished under this system, and I predicted it would happen too. Anyone want to offer their own reasons?"
    ================================================== ==========
    I'll try. The Steelers have flourished in the free agency/salary cap system because they have, since the
    70's been very good at evaluating talent. Along with obtaining good talent, they have always placed a certain % of their payroll on certain positions and roles within the team. They will never pay more for a player than he is worth to the overall Steeler organization. They will, in most instances, let a player go that can get more $$ from another team rather than 'overpay' for a player whose performance will start to diminish shortly after a 'big contract' takes effect - recent examples=Joey Porter, Randle El, Alan Fanecca. They wil not match the big number contracts for some of the young players because they believe that there is already someone on the roster ready to move up. EX= Chris Hope, BMac

The Steelers organization, like most good businesses, compares each player's strengths and abilities (assets) versus each player's weaknesses and salary(liabilities). If the assets are greater than the liabilities, the player is retained. In the opposite case, the player is let go, or not tendered an offer. The Steelers place a certain $$ value on each position on the team and attempt to not exceed that predetermined value.

Quote Originally Posted by DBinAL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ed Bouchette says, "I have my reasons why the Steelers have flourished under this system, and I predicted it would happen too. Anyone want to offer their own reasons?"
    ================================================== ==========
    I'll try. The Steelers have flourished in the free agency/salary cap system because they have, since the
    70's been very good at evaluating talent. Along with obtaining good talent, they have always placed a certain % of their payroll on certain positions and roles within the team. They will never pay more for a player than he is worth to the overall Steeler organization. They will, in most instances, let a player go that can get more $$ from another team rather than 'overpay' for a player whose performance will start to diminish shortly after a 'big contract' takes effect - recent examples=Joey Porter, Randle El, Alan Fanecca. They wil not match the big number contracts for some of the young players because they believe that there is already someone on the roster ready to move up. EX= Chris Hope, BMac

The Steelers organization, like most good businesses, compares each player's strengths and abilities (assets) versus each player's weaknesses and salary(liabilities). If the assets are greater than the liabilities, the player is retained. In the opposite case, the player is let go, or not tendered an offer. The Steelers place a certain $$ value on each position on the team and attempt to not exceed that predetermined value.

that's a very astute response!

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    that's a very astute response!

I agree with DB...

I call it the Nate Washington effect. They see a guy who prospers in our system and program and throw money that is really more than Nate Washington Deserves.

Not be to be that guy, but I said, when Nate signed a 6 year deal, he'll be a cap cut in 3. Which the stats indicate might just happen.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    --- They actually debated on PTI last night whether Mike Tomlin would start Ben Roethlisberger when he returns for the fifth game.
    I saw this. Does anyone out there really think Ben shouldn't start?

Did they watch the first two games when we played actual NFL caliber defenses?

looks like Trai Essux will go back to his role as OG/OT swingman...

Ed: Legursky Takes Over at RG

THURSDAY, 30 SEPTEMBER 2010 15:55 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Chris Hoke did not practice again today. He told me hell try tomorrow, but hes not sure. He has a second-degree sprain of the MCL in his right knee, same degree Byron Leftwich received Sept. 2.

Doug Legursky will remain the starter at right guard not only for this game but coordinator Bruce Arians thinks he can remain there a long time, he said after practice today. Hes not tall, but hes big enough and knows all about leverage. Trai Essex, who held that job, has not practiced this week because of a sprained ankle.

Did some deep investigative reporting to answer a question many of you have asked: The Steelers will wear their throwback jerseys in two home games, against Cleveland when Ben R. returns and against New England. I hate those things, especially the helmets.

The Steelers are among the few teams who have the coolest current uniforms and no cool old ones, like San Diego and Philadelphia. Of course, theyve worn these uniforms for 40 years with only slight adjustments. If they must wear throwback uniforms, Id like to see them wear those from the 1970s with the squared numerals rather than the woosie rounded ones they have worn for the past 15 years or so.

http://ht.ly/19ewE5

Threads : 28
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DBinAL View Post
    The Steelers place a certain $$ value on each position on the team and attempt to not exceed that predetermined value.
    So what are the predetermined #s for each position ??? Anyone care to guess ??

The Steelers better make (1) Exception to this rule next year and SIGN LAMAR WOODLEY !!!!!

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    I saw this. Does anyone out there really think Ben shouldn't start?
    That depends....

If Batch as a helluva game against the Ratbirds, I'd seriously consider the options... Whether some folks want to realize it or not, Ben will be somewhat "rusty" as to game speed and hits... Yea, he had a qb coach work with him to assimilate the number of throws each week, but that does not account for the intrinsics... He will need to be brought back to "game speed" upon his return....

I'm not saying that Ben is not the "man", because we all know that he is... But what I am saying is that maybe (just maybe, depending on his performance in practice), he might not be the best option for a "win" his first week back... If this is the case, then work him in slowly... If it is not, then let him start... Use "discretion" is my only point since he's been gone for several weeks.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information