Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 222

Thread: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

      
  1. #1
    moneytalks's Avatar
    Status : moneytalks is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Pittsburgh
    Posts : 678
    Threads : 22
    Last Online : Oct-15-2012 @ 01:28 PM

    Default So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    I think i asked this on one of the many "JR needs to go threads"... but let's start it again.

    WHEN JR is let go. Who next?

    I've seen people talk about how someone like the Altoona manager could be a type of manager we want... since he was manager of the year several times, and took AA to a championship.

    BUT - what exactly are we looking for? Names or traits?

    I am torn between one of the MANY, experienced retreads that exist out there (because, if they are available...why are they)? And, also a minor league guy who really hasn't managed the Big League prima donas and know the teams and what needs to be done to beat them.

    So, what's either qualities or some names of people we want?

    NOTE: I also don't think "teaching fundamentals" is on the table. I am sure JR tried to teach those... ANY manager would.

  2. #2
    jleisele58's Avatar
    Status : jleisele58 is offline
    Rank : All-Pro
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Greensburg, PA
    Posts : 4,353
    Threads : 85
    Last Online : May-08-2017 @ 04:30 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    Rumor is Brewers are letting Ken Macha go, wouldnt mind seeing him.

  3. #3
    buccoray61's Avatar
    Status : buccoray61 is offline
    Rank : The Elite
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Posts : 3,885
    Threads : 691
    Last Online : Apr-03-2017 @ 06:56 AM

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    I would like to see the Pirates go with a young upcomer. Benny threw out Jose Oquendo or Fredi Gonzalez. I don't know alot about them,but I'll take his word for it.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

  4. #4
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rumor is Brewers are letting Ken Macha go, wouldnt mind seeing him.
    pass....

  5. #5
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by moneytalks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think i asked this on one of the many "JR needs to go threads"... but let's start it again.

    WHEN JR is let go. Who next?

    [HIGH-LIGHT]I've seen people talk about how someone like the Altoona manager could be a type of manager we want... since he was manager of the year several times, and took AA to a championship.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

    BUT - what exactly are we looking for? Names or traits?

    I am torn between one of the MANY, experienced retreads that exist out there (because, if they are available...why are they)? And, also a minor league guy who really hasn't managed the Big League prima donas and know the teams and what needs to be done to beat them.

    So, what's either qualities or some names of people we want?

    NOTE: I also don't think "teaching fundamentals" is on the table. I am sure JR tried to teach those... ANY manager would.

    Walbeck had no managerial experience above AA he isn' t the type of manager the Pirates are looking for and he was never in the ML job mix.

  6. #6
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jose Oquendo or Fredi Gonzalez
    Jose Oquendo....been around Tony La Russa too long....pass

    Fredi Gonzalez.....good chance he gets the Braves job

  7. #7
    wvkeeper's Avatar
    Status : wvkeeper is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Right There
    Posts : 1,367
    Threads : 158
    Last Online : Nov-03-2016 @ 07:14 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Walbeck had no managerial experience above AA he isn' t the type of manager the Pirates are looking for and he was never in the ML job mix.

    Matt Wallbeck = John Russell when it comes to success in the minors.

  8. #8
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Matt Wallbeck = John Russell when it comes to success in the minors.
    Russell won a championship at the AAA level.

  9. #9
    wvkeeper's Avatar
    Status : wvkeeper is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Right There
    Posts : 1,367
    Threads : 158
    Last Online : Nov-03-2016 @ 07:14 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    I was speaking in generalities not specifics.

  10. #10
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    There's a lot of assistants and such that are at a promotion stage. I disagree with PFIV on the pass on Oquendo. That's the type of guy I'd be looking at. One that's been coaching at the MLB level as a bench/base coach type of role who has that type fo experience. I'd also add that I would like to see that type of coach plucked from a winning organization if possible which is what I like about a guy like Oquendo. The Cards have had success at the MLB level.

    Not that I'm only in support of Oquendo, I'd have to look carefully around the league but in general this is the type of coach I'm looking for. A guy who is deserving of a promotion and is blocked by his current team that has experience coaching at the MLB level but isn't hasn't coached yet.

    Russell IMO was too inexperienced for the MLB level, a guy like Macha is too "has-been".

    Jim Leyland came from this type of background. He was LaRussa's 3rd Base coach for 4 years or so after having coached in the minor leagues for over 10 years. He got to taste the playoffs twice and the world Series once. The experience was there, he just needed a chance at the MLB as a head coach/manager
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  11. #11
    BigBen2112's Avatar
    Status : BigBen2112 is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 13, 2009
    Posts : 5,773
    Threads : 135
    Last Online : Jun-03-2014 @ 02:44 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    Jose Oquendo.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

  12. #12
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jose Oquendo.
    My only problem with Oquendo is that he lacks actual Manager experience. He had about what: 1 year worth of minor league coaching back in the late 90's before he joined Larussa's staff. He really lacks the actual Manager experience part in a pretty big way
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  13. #13
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a lot of assistants and such that are at a promotion stage. I disagree with PFIV on the pass on Oquendo. That's the type of guy I'd be looking at. One that's been coaching at the MLB level as a bench/base coach type of role who has that type fo experience. I'd also add that I would like to see that type of coach plucked from a winning organization if possible which is what I like about a [HIGH-LIGHT]guy like Oquendo[/HIGH-LIGHT]. The Cards have had success at the MLB level.

    Not that I'm only in support of Oquendo, I'd have to look carefully around the league but in general this is the type of coach I'm looking for. A guy who is deserving of a promotion and is blocked by his current team that has experience coaching at the MLB level but isn't hasn't coached yet.

    Russell IMO was too inexperienced for the MLB level, a guy like Macha is too "has-been".

    Jim Leyland came from this type of background. He was LaRussa's 3rd Base coach for 4 years or so after having coached in the minor leagues for over 10 years. He got to taste the playoffs twice and the world Series once. The experience was there, he just needed a chance at the MLB as a head coach/manager
    Kipper I don't think we disagree that much. I'm with you on a Oquendo type manager. I just don't know about Oquendo in particular. I’m not a big fan of La Russa and Oquendo has been around him forever so you figure a lot of LaRussa has rubbed off on him and also as has been mentioned his actual lack of actual minor managing experience.

  14. #14
    CPA17's Avatar
    Status : CPA17 is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Oct 19, 2009
    Posts : 298
    Threads : 8
    Last Online : Sep-17-2013 @ 11:38 AM

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kipper I don't think we disagree that much. I'm with you on a Oquendo type manager. I just don't know about Oquendo in particular. I’m not a big fan of La Russa and Oquendo has been around him forever so you figure a lot of LaRussa has rubbed off on him and also as has been mentioned his actual lack of actual minor managing experience.
    If Oquendo could bring Dave Duncan with him, I want him. IMHO, Duncan is an outstanding pitching coach.

  15. #15
    Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Status : Mister Pittsburgh is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 16, 2009
    Posts : 1,383
    Threads : 122
    Last Online : Apr-27-2013 @ 05:09 PM

    Default Re: So, when JR gets fired... who is next?

    Tony Pena.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •