Thread: Ressurection Of A Career or Death of A Player?

Threads : 77
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ressurection Of A Career or Death of A Player?

Hi, I'm back. The season is about to start which means my column, if you want to call it that, is going in full mode. I'm thinking of one article per month but if anything tickles my fancy it's not entirely impossible that I churn out a greater number of articles.

What I'm talking about here, well obviously, is Mike Comrie. A player who has NHL goalscoring potential, and then some. Actually, he proved that under the right circumstances and motivation, he can be a 30 goalscorer in this league. He's having one hell of a preseason but it's questionable how much we as Pens fans can take out of his preseason outing. Why, well, remember last season with the Oilers? Actually it wasn’t that bad. He played 43 games, had 13 goals and 8 assists for 21 points and was -9. That was the same team in which Patrick O’Sullivan was -35 and that got the 1st overall pick in the 2010 NHL entry draft so let’s not be so quick to judge. However, consistency has been an issue with this guy. Only two really good back to back years, also in Edmonton. 2001-2002, 2002-2003 season he had back to back 20 goal seasons (33 in 01-02) and over 50 points both seasons. This doesn’t quite relate to today’s NHL game so let’s continue looking. In 2005-2006 (Phoenix) he had 60 points with 30 goals and 30 assists. 2007-2008 21 goals and 28 assists in 76 games. And that's not bad at all. The problem is and always was, the quality of linemates and his salary, which was more often than not, way above his production level. A problem which the Penguins won’t have.

As I already stated numerous times I like this deal. Really like it. Here's why. First thing, he got married to a celebrity. We watched Mike Fisher last season so we know what that can do to a player and a career. All jokes aside, he signed here because he doesn’t need the money. He wants to revive his hockey career and play for the Stanley Cup. There are few better places than Pittsburgh to do that in right now. This offers us fans a good degree of certainty that his performance won’t drop as it did with the Oilers. Money is not the issue, linemates are not the issue, motivation is not the issue. As a player, he’s strong on his skates, has some speed, a mean streak when he wants too. He can catch fire and score goals in bunches and can play center and both wing positions. Not to read too much into his preseason performance but he looked really good on a line with Malkin.

We can’t completely ignore his 4 goals and five points either. This is what Dan said on the matter: “Mike is an extremely smart and intelligent offensive hockey player,” Bylsma said of the 10-year veteran. “And I just wanted to give him a chance to read off of Gino (Malkin).” He seem to have settled down well, and loves the current system. “It’s a system suited for players who make plays and try to think the game”. And finally I love this deal because of the money. 500 000 is nothing if he gets back to where he once was as a hockey player and could be a real jackpot for the Pens. Like buying a solid gold watch as scrap from an unsuspecting street vendor.
    Last edited by Xterratu; Oct-05-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ressurection Of A Career or Death of A Player?

I resized that picture for you

I like the Comrie deal. It's a great low risk high reward move. He comes dirt cheap and has the potential to pot 30 goals. Quite frankly, we haven't had a Mike Comrie One of those low priced high reward guys. We've been overpaying for the Miroslav Satans in hopes of obtaining average production. So, I'm excited.

I'm also excited because Comrie hasn't played with good talent in a long time and when he has (Ottawa) he's gotten injured. If mike Comrie can stay healthy, he's show through his career that he can produce. Problem is, he's only played more than 50 games TWICE since the Lockout. He potted 30 goals for Edmonton in 2005-06 and 21 goals for a crappy Islanders team in 2007-08 and those are his only 2 healthy years..

If Comrie can stay healthy and play in 60-80 games, he'll put up 25-30 goals..

So is the definite plan right now to have Comrie Center Malkin's line? If so, it brings up a dilema of what to do when Staal comes back.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I like the Comrie deal. It's a great low risk high reward move. He comes dirt cheap and has the potential to pot 30 goals. Quite frankly, we haven't had a Mike Comrie One of those low priced high reward guys. We've been overpaying for the Miroslav Satans in hopes of obtaining average production. So, I'm excited.

I'm also excited because Comrie hasn't played with good talent in a long time and when he has (Ottawa) he's gotten injured. If mike Comrie can stay healthy, he's show through his career that he can produce. Problem is, he's only played more than 50 games TWICE since the Lockout. He potted 30 goals for Edmonton in 2005-06 and 21 goals for a crappy Islanders team in 2007-08 and those are his only 2 healthy years..

If Comrie can stay healthy and play in 60-80 games, he'll put up 25-30 goals..

So is the definite plan right now to have Comrie Center Malkin's line? If so, it brings up a dilema of what to do when Staal comes back.
    There really isn't a dilemma until Staal actually comes back and everyone else is still healthy and that would be a great problem to have! Things tend to work themselves out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    There really isn't a dilemma until Staal actually comes back and everyone else is still healthy and that would be a great problem to have! Things tend to work themselves out.
    It'll be a dilema when Staal comes back, trust me. They have been hell bent this entire offseason of moving Staal to the 2nd line. If the 2nd line is producing and playing well with Comrie centering it and the Top line is producing well..... do you put Staal back on the 3rd line center? I would, but there's also that chance that the Pens force Staal onto the 2nd line center job regardless because that was the "plan" which forces someone elsewhere..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thnx man. It sure looks like it and they're probably thinking - We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, it sure looks like the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Xterratu View Post
    Thnx man. It sure looks like it and they're probably thinking - We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, it sure looks like the best solution.
    There seems to be some chemistry there as well. Probably helps and is a major relief for Malkin that he's able to play with guys that have talent as well. Being saddled with dead weight like Fedotenko, Satan, Sykora after he lost about 20 steps and Ponikarovsky can weight one down.

IF Kunitz can put forth a healthy season he should be able to pot about 25 goals. If Dupuis can come somewhere near his 2009-10 overachievements ... Comrie stays healthy and Tangradi is rightfully given the 2nd line wing job ... it could be a really great year for the Pens.

Hopefully the hockey Gods got the whole "handing the Pens nasty injury bugs" out of their system and they can focus on the Blackhawks

Sports Logo Sports Logo

...and they can focus on the Blackhawks
    Detroit's the enemy again, at least in my book They are really deep with Modano and Hudler back. And they are healthy this year. Howard is solid between the pipes. If everything goes really well for us, a potential Finals matchup could be in play. Man, how good would that be.

Quote Originally Posted by Xterratu View Post
    Detroit's the enemy again, at least in my book They are really deep with Modano and Hudler back. And they are healthy this year. Howard is solid between the pipes. If everything goes really well for us, a potential Finals matchup could be in play. Man, how good would that be.
    Detroit is always a threat because they have experience and a strong system ... but they are getting older .. I see a team like the Blackhawks being as much or maybe more of a threat.

I'm all for any Finals... that involves the Pens

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information