Thread: GUNS .... Firearm Enthusiasts

Threads : 30

Default GUNS .... Firearm Enthusiasts

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: GUNS .... Firearm Enthusiasts

I'm Watching ....

Have a collection of guns, Viz?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm Watching ....

Have a collection of guns, Viz?
    I once had a small collection.... I want to seek & acquire the following "Hitman Special"
    You wouldnt be watching me, would ya ? . Uh .... You won't see it coming

http://www.derringerpistol.com/history.htm

Since 1852 the Derringer Pistol has been a favorite conceal carry choice of gun men and law men alike. It was created by famed gunsmith Henry Deringer and instantly became a hit from the years he produced it 1852 - 1868. The Derringer Pistol was such a hit that it produced a host copy cat designs who dubbed theirs the "Derringer" adding another "r" to the name of the pistol (so named off it's creator Henry Deringer) but basically using the same exact design. So many companies copied the design that the the "double r " name for this poplar pistol stuck over time. Today the Derringer line of pistols is still being made by a host of companies and the basic design has remained the same with some minor changes in barrel length, chambering ranging from .22 cal all the way up to the big bore Derringers in .38 Special, 9mm and even the .357 Magnum.

Controversy: The Hitman Special

The Derringer received world wide recognition on April 14, 1865 when it was used to assassinate President Abraham Lincoln by John Wilkes Booth who's Derringer pistol is pictured above. Booth had snuck behind President Lincoln at a play and shot him in the back of the head. Ever since then the Derringer pistol has had a bad reputation as a "Hitman Special " gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Viz-id/Vigilancer View Post
    I once had a small collection.... I want to seek & acquire the following "Hitman Special"
    You wouldnt be watching me, would ya ? . Uh .... You won't see it coming

Actually Viz, you'd be the last person I'd have to watch but you know... talk about guns and people think that's an in to talk about other things "barred" from here

that's a sharp looking gun there you posted. Wonder what sort of kick it has and considering the shape of the handle not looking very easy to have a firm grip of, wonder if the kick would affect holding it

Actually Viz, you'd be the last person I'd have to watch but you know... talk about guns and people think that's an in to talk about other things "barred" from here

that's a sharp looking gun there you posted. Wonder what sort of kick it has and considering the shape of the handle not looking very easy to have a firm grip of, wonder if the kick would affect holding it
    I would believe the larger caliber to be unrealiable (for lack of another word)
    .... I certainly wouldn't consider a purchase of any pistol unless ____
    it felt comfortable and was somewhat accurate; and the .22 is about my speed .

Today the Derringer line of pistols is still being made by a host of companies and the basic design has remained the same with some minor changes in barrel length, chambering ranging from [HIGH-LIGHT].22 cal[/HIGH-LIGHT] all the way up to the big bore Derringers in .38 Special, 9mm and even the .357 Magnum.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I own a Derringer that fires either .45 long colt or .410 shotgun shells from it's two barrels. A Bond Arms Snakeslayer.

Last edited by Skeeter; Oct-06-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    I own a Derringer that fires either .45 long colt or .410 shotgun shells from it's two barrels. A Bond Arms Snakeslayer.

Out in Wyoming, isn't it still kind of like cowboy/wild west living out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Viz-id/Vigilancer View Post
    I would believe the larger caliber to be unrealiable (for lack of another word)
    .... I certainly wouldn't consider a purchase of any pistol unless ____
    it felt comfortable and was somewhat accurate; and the .22 is about my speed .
    Guess I should've considered that some could be collectables that don't get shot

Guess I should've considered that some could be collectables that don't get shot
    ____Case here in point:
    I DO fire the pistols,but just as toys or playthings and not for constant abuse.
    My rifles 30=30's on the other hand were bought for deer hunting as were the shotguns..
    I can't hunt anymore and the boys (sons) don't go anymore, so the guns sit in a locked cabinet.

Out in Wyoming, isn't it still kind of like cowboy/wild west living out there?
    Actually you are correct Kipper. Wyoming is the least populated state in the union measured by people per square mile. We still have real cowboys and indians too, mostly Shosone who were the principals in ending Custer, just north of the WY state line in Montana. We have bison, antelope, deer, elk, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, black and gizzly bears and cougars. People here are very independant and self reliant. Most work out here is related to coal mining, oil and gas drilling and ranching beef. We have more undeveloped lands than you can imagine. Come visit some time and I'll share some steaks and beer with you partner.
    Last edited by Skeeter; Oct-07-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I got a stainless 6" revolver .357 with Packmire (sp?) grips....

... Desert Eagle .44Mag....

6mm bolt-action hunting rifle...

... And the .22 rifle my uncle gave me when I was 8 years old....

..... I like guns, and the right to own them.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

I've had a Ruger 7mm Remington Magnum for about 30 years now. Flat shooting and hits hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    I've had a Ruger 7mm Remington Magnum for about 30 years now. Flat shooting and hits hard.
    Very good cartridge the 7mm Rem mag, very similar to my rifle. I own a Finnish built Sako in .270 Weatherby.

I also am a nearly lifelong firearms enthusiast. Think I started out with a cap pistol at about four years old.

http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/2amteach/sources.htm

Text of the Second Amendment and Related Contemporaneous Provisions

Second Amendment: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

English Bill of Rights: That the subjects which are protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law (1689). 1

Connecticut: Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state (1818). 2

Kentucky: [T]he right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned (1792). 3

Massachusetts: The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence (1780). 4

North Carolina: [T]he people have a right to bear arms, for the defence of the State; and, as standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power (1776). 5

Pennsylvania: That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state; and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; And that the military should be kept under strict subordination, to, and governed by, the civil power (1776). 6

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned (1790). 7

Rhode Island: The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed (1842). 8

Tennessee: [T]he freemen of this State have a right to keep and bear arms for their common defence (1796). 9

Vermont: [T]he people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State -- and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power (1777). 10

Virginia: That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. 11

II. Calls for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms from State Ratification Conventions

Five of the states that ratified the Constitution also sent demands for a Bill of Rights to Congress. All these demands included a right to keep and bear arms. Here, in relevant part, is their text:

New Hampshire: Twelfth[:] Congress shall never disarm any Citizen unless such as are or have been in Actual Rebellion.

Virginia: . . . Seventeenth, That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well regulated Militia composed of the body of the people trained to arms is the proper, natural and safe defence of a free State. That standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, and therefore ought to be avoided, as far as the circumstances and protection of the Community will admit; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to and governed by the Civil power.

New York: . . . That the People have a right to keep and bear Arms; that a well regulated Militia, including the body of the People capable of bearing Arms, is the proper, natural and safe defence of a free State; That the Militia should not be subject to Martial Law except in time of War, Rebellion or Insurrection. That Standing Armies in time of Peace are dangerous to Liberty, and ought not to be kept up, except in Cases of necessity; and that at all times, the Military should be under strict Subordination to the civil Power.

North Carolina: Almost identical to Virginia demand, but with "the body of the people, trained to arms" instead of "the body of the people trained to arms."

Rhode Island: Almost identical to Virginia demand, but with "the body of the people capable of bearing arms" instead of "the body of the people trained to arms," and with a "militia shall not be subject to martial law" proviso as in New York.
    Last edited by Skeeter; Oct-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I got me one of these:

Plus a couple of rifles and shotguns.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am really not a gun guy but I hunted with my dad when I was in school. I still have a .308 bolt action that he bought me but it actually still stays at my parents house. It's a pretty cool gun tho. The wood comes all the way out to the end of the barrel and it was made in 45 I think. If I still lived in the country I'd probably still have a 22 handy to kill off varmints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information