Thread: Just a thought.....

Threads : 94

Default Just a thought.....

Has this crossed anyone’s mind that Russell was hired to be a lackey. He was hired because he would basically do whatever the front office wanted while sitting though all the losing. He would do so without complaining as they brought in every suspect player they could scrap up for an audition.

Management had their plan set before Russell was hired, they knew the entire ML roster was going to be gutted so they were looking for a 1st time manager who meet the above mentioned qualifications. In a sense the front office wanted a care taker (for a lack of a better term) to ride out the seasons of pathetic baseball that was sure to come from turning over the entire organization.

Looking back in hindsight this was an obvious no win situation for any manager. Management knew this and knew that even an experienced veteran manager couldn’t produce anything close to winning baseball until the minors started to produce. They had to hire a guy that probably would have never gotten a chance at a ML managers job, a guy who was tickled pink to even be considered as a lap dog for management for the initial phase of the rebuild…..enter John Russell.

JR got his 3 minutes of fame……3 years as a ML manager and the Pirates got what they wanted. Just a thought. Talk about a conspiracy theory. …maybe not.

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Just a thought.....

Yeah no offense but John Russell has more dignity than that.

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah no offense but John Russell has more dignity than that.

I'm not saying JR was told this in his interview....this was managements intentions when they went looking for a managerial candidate. JR just fit the bill.

Threads : 413

Hard to argue with this. Knowing that their plan involved a complete dismantling of the major league club and emphasis on the minor teams, they certainly couldn't expect a manager to actually think he was going to win.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 158

I would agree though that they picked JR because of his pedigree in preparing players for the Majors and in a sense that is why they maybe signed him to be a literal AAAA manager.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Has this crossed anyone’s mind that Russell was hired to be a lackey. He was hired because he would basically do whatever the front office wanted while sitting though all the losing. He would do so without complaining as they brought in every suspect player they could scrap up for an audition.

Management had their plan set before Russell was hired, they knew the entire ML roster was going to be gutted so they were looking for a 1st time manager who meet the above mentioned qualifications. In a sense the front office wanted a care taker (for a lack of a better term) to ride out the seasons of pathetic baseball that was sure to come from turning over the entire organization.

Looking back in hindsight this was an obvious no win situation for any manager. Management knew this and knew that even an experienced veteran manager couldn’t produce anything close to winning baseball until the minors started to produce. They had to hire a guy that probably would have never gotten a chance at a ML managers job, a guy who was tickled pink to even be considered as a lap dog for management for the initial phase of the rebuild…..enter John Russell.

JR got his 3 minutes of fame……3 years as a ML manager and the Pirates got what they wanted. Just a thought. Talk about a conspiracy theory. …maybe not.
    It's part conspiracy theory, part truth... Truth in that the Pirates knew that their plan was going to involve a major rebuilding, major gutting of the MLB team, major growing pains and evaluating of players coming through at the MLB level... Russell not being an established guy like you said fit the mold of someone that wasn't going to get discouraged. He's happy to get his chance BUT... that's where any of the conspiracy stuff ends for me. John Russell was known for being a good teacher and working really well with youthful and inexperienced players. He received accolades for that and that was something the Pirates heading into this rebuild needed, much more than just some standard Manager that filled out lineup cards and did the occasional arguing with the UMPs.

Unfortunately one of the downfalls to Russell is that he was pretty awful at the Managing part of being a Manager and the things that were supposed to be his strong suit like teaching never showed at the MLB level.

I don't think Russell was necessarily a Lap Dog but I believe the Pirates did choose a Manager when they chose Russell based on what they were projecting going forward. I also believe that they wanted to keep Russell around as well past the tough part of the rebuild and into the next phase. His contract extension spoke that, but the 2010 team underperformed and underachieved in so many areas that it was impossible to keep him any further
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    It's part conspiracy theory, part truth... Truth in that the Pirates knew that their plan was going to involve a major rebuilding, major gutting of the MLB team, major growing pains and evaluating of players coming through at the MLB level... Russell not being an established guy like you said fit the mold of someone that wasn't going to get discouraged. He's happy to get his chance BUT... that's where any of the conspiracy stuff ends for me. John Russell was known for being a good teacher and working really well with youthful and inexperienced players. He received accolades for that and that was something the Pirates heading into this rebuild needed, much more than just some standard Manager that filled out lineup cards and did the occasional arguing with the UMPs.

Unfortunately one of the downfalls to Russell is that he was pretty awful at the Managing part of being a Manager and the things that were supposed to be his strong suit like teaching never showed at the MLB level.

I don't think Russell was necessarily [HIGH-LIGHT]a Lap Dog [/HIGH-LIGHT]but I believe the Pirates did choose a Manager when they chose Russell based on what they were projecting going forward. I also believe that they wanted to keep Russell around as well past the tough part of the rebuild and into the next phase. His contract extension spoke that, but the 2010 team underperformed and underachieved in so many areas that it was impossible to keep him any further

Maybe lapdog was too strong a word how about.....very amiable to the influence of upper management.

As for the "known for being a good teacher and working really well with youthful and inexperienced players" While I don't disagree that can be said for any 1st time manager that has toiled in the minors for a while and should be a given for a manager of his ilk.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Maybe lapdog was too strong a word how about.....very amiable to the influence of upper management.

As for the "known for being a good teacher and working really well with youthful and inexperienced players" While I don't disagree that can be said for any 1st time manager that has toiled in the minors for a while and should be a given for a manager of his ilk.
    I think it's just like I pointed out in my recent Article. When you hire someone, you want to make sure they are on the same page with you as far as your vision and plan in the present and going forward. At least I would hope so. Russell always appeared as someone that knew from Day 1 exactly what was going down. He always seemed privy when talking to the media regarding the "plan" . So I'm with you in that Russell was likely hired because he probably accepted what the Pirates were doing and were going to be doing.

What should be trickier is finding the next Manager. We're further along in the rebuilding process. By the start of next season, every level of the minors is going to have Huntington drafted and traded for players. Legit prospects. The rebuilding of the minor leagues is at a comfortable level, now more of the focus can be put on the MLB product, so I think that there's going to be more expected out of the next Manager where I don't think there was going to be much expectations for Russell
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information