Thread: Let's talk about the playoffs

Threads : 197

Default Let's talk about the playoffs

First game is going on right now, a tripleheader on TBS today.

Just an observation from the TEX-TB game today. Take a look at some of the guys hitting in those lineups. It's crazy. These are stretches of hitters that opposing pitchers will get to face today:

Texas: 7. Jeff Francoeur (.683 OPS) 8. Jorge Cantu (.695 OPS) 9. Bengie Molina (.623 OPS) 1. Elvis Andrus (.643 OPS)

Tampa Bay: 6. Rocco Baldelli (.615 OPS)* 7. Ben Zobrist (.699 OPS) 8. Kelly Shoppach (.650 OPS) 9. Sean Rodriguez (.705 OPS) 1. Jason Bartlett (.675 OPS)
    *Baldelli only had 24 MLB ABs this year, and only 23 minor league games. He started the season working as a coach.
    Tampa's #5 hitter, Carlos Pena, had an OPS of .715, but a BA under .200.

It's crazy that these are the game 1 lineups for playoff teams in the AL.
    Last edited by jnn123; Oct-06-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Default Re: Let's talk about the playoffs

1 inning in the books and we already have the first big blown call of the post season. There's no way that pitch hit Carlos Pena's bat there.

Threads : 29

ABTY

sjdrewk

Who has a better chance at knocking out the Yankees, the Rangers or the Rays?

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who has a better chance at knocking out the Yankees, the Rangers or the Rays?
    I hope the Rangers.

Looks to me like the Phils will have to do it in the WS.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    I hope the Rangers.

Looks to me like the Phils will have to do it in the WS.
    I really think the Rays would have posed a better threat to knock the Stanks out of the playoffs. Although the Rangers have Cliff Lee and a prayer so who knows?

Threads : 413

This year is just a classic example of why pitching is the name of the game. You have Lincecum for SF, Halladay, Oswalt, & Hamels for the Phils, Lee for the Rangers and Sabathia and Pettite for the Suckees. That's not to mention some of the lesser known names who are really good.

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with the Phillies, but seriously, this WS quest is still wide open.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This year is just a classic example of why pitching is the name of the game. You have Lincecum for SF, Halladay, Oswalt, & Hamels for the Phils, Lee for the Rangers and Sabathia and Pettite for the Suckees. That's not to mention some of the lesser known names who are really good.

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with the Phillies, but seriously, this WS quest is still wide open.
    San Francisco actually has 4 great young starters in Lincecum, Cain, Jonathan Sanchez and Madison Bumgarner....believe it or not, it is Sanchez that has been the Giants best pitcher in the last month or so....with those 4 kids, it gives them a chance against any team going forward...that however doesn't mean they'll win it, it just means I think they do have the capability to shut any team down in the playoffs..

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Texas just slayed Goliath. Yankees payroll was 1st in the league at $206,333,389 . Texas was 27th in the league at $55,250,545.

Awesome. I like it when the teams that try to buy a series die a vicious horrendous death in the playoffs.

San Francisco vs Texas would be a good one.

Texas is a really interesting team when you look back at their year. A lot has changed over the course of the season, but they were in first place pretty much the entire year. After May 1 they were never more than a half game back, and really took over in early June.

They were supposed to be a team with an overload of catchers, but ended up with nothing. Saltalamachia and Teagarden both failed, Max Ramirez was equally unimpressive, and Matt Treanor ended up being the guy who caught the most games for the team. Eventually they traded for Bengie Molina who wasn't good at all during the regular season. They got basically nothing out of the position offensively.

They thought they had something going on at first base with, but Chris Davis was terrible again, Justin Smoak was awful in his major league tryout before being traded, and Jorge Cantu continued to struggle after they acquired him. The one guy who ended up being semi-productive (for about 45 games) was Mitch Moreland. Didn't see that coming.

Their #1 and #2 starters coming into the season didn't even make the playoff roster. Scott Feldman had a huge year last year and was their opening day starter. Their big FA signing, Rich Harden, started the second game.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information