Thread: Bires: It's time to get over hating Ben

Threads : 440

Default Bires: It's time to get over hating Ben

I don't hate Ben, I think Steelers fans who do are definitely in the minority...

Bires: It's time to get over hating Ben

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
    Tuesday October 5, 2010 11:57 PM

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, right, talks with wide receiver Mike Wallace during his first practice back after a four-game suspension at the NFL football team's practice facility in Pittsburgh, Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2010. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

PITTSBURGH — From all indications, Ben Roethlisberger is a changed man. He appears sorry for past mistakes that tarnished his image. He seems willing to be just as terrific a person off the field as he is a player on the field.

So maybe it’s time for anyone still angry and disappointed in him to cut the guy a break.

Let’s move on.

Back in April when details of Roethlisberger’s wild birthday binge were made public, so many of us were infuriated with him. We were stunned that he could be so stupid and put himself in position to have a sexual assault accusation levied against him for the second time in less than a year.

I was so disappointed in him I wrote that I didn’t care if he ever threw another pass for the Steelers.

The Rooney family was so upset with Roethlisberger that they thought about trading him away.

Around that time, I remember getting an e-mail from a woman who was among those disheartened with Roethlisberger’s behavior. But she concluded her e-mail by saying we should all pray that he turns his life around.

Well, it appears he has.

He’s done his punishment. He sat out the first four games of the season. He abided by the NFL edict that he undergo professional behavior evaluation.

He’s avoided further trouble. He seems to be nice to everyone he encounters professionally and socially.

He’s done nothing to suggest that he’s going to revert back to his former ways and be a jerk again.

I really believe he’s learned a lesson. He knows that one more slip-up and he’s history.

If I were a fan, I don’t know if I’d ever wear a Roethlisberger jersey. But I must admit that I am looking forward to watching him playing football again.

I just think that it’s time that we all allow Roethlisberger to put his past behind him.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...ating-ben.html

Default Re: Bires: It's time to get over hating Ben

Roethlisberger appears ready to go

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
    Tuesday October 5, 2010 11:53 PM

PITTSBURGH — It didn’t take long for Ben Roethlisberger to prove he’s ready to play again.

Tuesday in his first practice in close to five weeks, he went deep on the first play of 11-on-11 drills and connected on a bomb to Mike Wallace.

“I just wanted to get one out there early to Mike and he made a good catch,” Roethlisberger said.

It was a very good day for Roethlisberger, who missed the first four games serving a suspension.

Because it rained Tuesday, practice was moved indoors at team headquarters. But that didn’t dampen the Steelers’ spirits as they reunited with their star quarterback.

“He’s a franchise quarterback, and it’s great having him back, seeing him out there smiling and running around with the guys,” wide receiver Hines Ward said. “I was talking to him on the way in and asked him how it feels to be back. He said it was like his first day of school. He was the first one here today. He couldn’t wait to get out there with the guys.

“I’m glad to have him back. He definitely makes us a better club with us having him out there on the field. We’re 3-1 without him, but to get to where we want to go, we have to have him out there.”

Because the Steelers don’t play this weekend, they will only practice again today and Thursday and then be off until Monday. Roethlisberger’s first game will be Oct. 17 against Cleveland.

“Today was a good step,” Roethlisberger said. “I don’t think it will take as long (to be game ready) as I thought. It’s almost like riding a bike.”

“His conditioning is not a concern at all and if you lay eyes on him you’ll understand what I’m talking about,” coach Mike Tomlin said on his weekly radio show. “He’s in great physical shape. His arm is in great shape. He’s ready for work.

“It’s just about being sharp, being football sharp, being able to recognize and identify pressure packages and change protection points and distribute the ball. Ultimately you’ve got to be able to do that under duress and sometimes the only duress that is legitimate is inside stadiums. So we understand that his progress is going to be measured on how he does in the stadium next Sunday.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...ady-to-go.html

looks like even Terry may be moving on...

Terry Bradshaw: 'You Can't Go Wrong With Big Ben'

10/06/2010 1:30 PM ET By Ryan Wilson
    by Ryan Wilson

It's been well documented that there is no love lost between former Steelers quarterback and Fox NFL analyst Terry Bradshaw and the just-reinstated Steelers signal caller Ben Roethlisberger. In fact, during Big Ben's four-game suspension, Bradshaw said that the organization should have dumped him, adding, "I don't know that you've proven to the NFL that you're on the right path. But I hope so. You acted recklessly. You hung out at college bars. You disrespected women."

Now, though, Bradshaw appears to be back on the bandwagon. Thanks to the ubiquitous TMZ presence, Terry gives an impromptu interview on the subject from the comfort of the passenger seat of a car ... sitting at a stop light.

TMZ: Should I start Ben Roethlisberger on my fantasy team?

Terry: Not this week. ... They got a bye this week.

TMZ: So next week should I start Ben Roethlisberger next week?

Terry: You can't go wrong with Big Ben -- yeah, go with it.
    And with that, Terry was gone.

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/1...-with-big-ben/

Threads : 9

My wife told me that she is wearing her Roethlisberger jersey when we have our next game. She's forgiven Ben, and so have I. Let's all hug

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife told me that she is wearing her Roethlisberger jersey when we have our next game. She's forgiven Ben, and so have I. Let's all hug

my wife is going to wear this on Sunday, and there's not even a Steelers game...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information