Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Are Slowly Becoming Mike Tomlin’s Team

Threads : 440

Default Steelers Are Slowly Becoming Mike Tomlin’s Team

The Steelers Are Slowly Becoming Mike Tomlin’s Team

Posted on October 6, 2010 by adam

At some point over the past four seasons, perhaps after Super Bowl XLIII, you’ve heard somebody, somewhere, say of Mike Tomlin … “Well, he’s only winning because he has Bill Cowher’s players.”

Or something along those lines.

It’s the same thing Jon Gruden went through in Tampa Bay after he took “Tony Dungy’s team” to a level Dungy never approached — the Super Bowl. To this day that Buccaneers team (which included Tomlin on its coaching staff, by the way) is still referred to as “Tony Dungy’s team.” I’ve always hated this logic. For one, it’s not exactly easy to take over a locker room full of established NFL veterans and the ego’s they carry and win them over with a new way of doing things, and then getting them to go out and win a Super Bowl. Especially when the new coach was able to do it after the previous coach (in this case, Dungy) failed year after year.

Tomlin, of course, endured a similar thing in Pittsburgh because he was taking over a team with a cupboard full of talent, and following in the footsteps of a future Hall of Fame head coach that had won a Super Bowl just two years earlier. But it’s important to keep in mind that the team Tomlin took over for wasn’t a Super Bowl champion, but a team that went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

Of course, Cowher’s presence is still felt on this team in a huge way with guys like Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward, Heath Miller, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Kiesel and Max Starks still playing at an extremely high level. But sooner or later we’re going to have to stop looking at this team as the one Bill Cowher assembled, and start viewing it as a team that Mike Tomlin has had a hand in building. And slowly but surely we’re starting to reach that point.

Let’s take a look at how “The Tomlin Drafts” have started to make an impact on this year’s team. In some cases it’s a huge impact, like Lawrence Timmons; in other cases, it could be one of the “little things” like David Johnson making a key block on a 50-yard touchdown run in overtime…

per Steelers Lounge request, please click on their link below to read the rest of the article...

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/1...eam/#more-2230

Threads : 60

Default Re: Steelers Are Slowly Becoming Mike Tomlin’s Team

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

At some point over the past four seasons, perhaps after Super Bowl XLIII, you’ve heard somebody, somewhere, say of Mike Tomlin … “Well, he’s only winning because he has Bill Cowher’s players.”

It’s the same thing Jon Gruden went through in Tampa Bay after he took “Tony Dungy’s team” to a level Dungy never approached — the Super Bowl. To this day that Buccaneers team (which included Tomlin on its coaching staff, by the way) is still referred to as “Tony Dungy’s team.” I’ve always hated this logic. For one, it’s not exactly easy to take over a locker room full of established NFL veterans and the ego’s they carry and win them over with a new way of doing things, and then getting them to go out and win a Super Bowl. Especially when the new coach was able to do it after the previous coach (in this case, Dungy) failed year after year.

Tomlin, of course, endured a similar thing in Pittsburgh because he was taking over a team with a cupboard full of talent, and following in the footsteps of a future Hall of Fame head coach that had won a Super Bowl just two years earlier. But it’s important to keep in mind that the team Tomlin took over for wasn’t a Super Bowl champion, but a team that went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

Of course, Cowher’s presence is still felt on this team in a huge way with guys like Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward, Heath Miller, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Kiesel and Max Starks still playing at an extremely high level. But sooner or later we’re going to have to stop looking at this team as the one Bill Cowher assembled, and start viewing it as a team that Mike Tomlin has had a hand in building. And slowly but surely we’re starting to reach that point.

Let’s take a look at how “The Tomlin Drafts” have started to make an impact on this year’s team. In some cases it’s a huge impact, like Lawrence Timmons; in other cases, it could be one of the “little things” like David Johnson making a key block on a 50-yard touchdown run in overtime…

per Steelers Lounge request, please click on their link below to read the rest of the article...

I see this post getting ugly so I will keep my comments to myself.

Threads : 102
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    I see this post getting ugly so I will keep my comments to myself.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post

Although,it is just a matter of time for the board's other Tomlin hater to rear his ugly head.

Threads : 91

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post

Although,it is just a matter of time for the board's other Tomlin hater to rear his ugly head.
    Give it a rest! Unless of course antagonism is your goal, then carry on.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How could an innocent thread like this ever spark a debate????
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

I'm not sure I agree with the logic behind this although I do agree with the premise that this is becoming more Tomlin's team. As for Gruden, it's impossible to come up with any good reason to suggest that he didn't win with Dungy';s team or didn't win with a massive advantage knowing Oakland's personnel. It's impossible because Gruden walked in and took over a Dungy team that made it to ther playoffs the year before...

Looking at the Steelers roster right now, it's got a bunch of either Tomlin guys drafted/signed or guys that got their chance to start under Tomlin..

Mendenhall
    Moore
    Redman
    Wallace
    Randel El (Tomlin's decision to bring him back)
    Sepevulda
    Kemoeatu
    Pouncey
    Legursky/Essex (anyone that plays RG )
    Adams/Colon

Hood
    Woodley
    Timmons
    Harrison (wasn't a starter until tomlin came)
    McFadden
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 91

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the logic behind this although I do agree with the premise that this is becoming more Tomlin's team. As for Gruden, it's impossible to come up with any good reason to suggest that he didn't win with Dungy';s team or didn't win with a massive advantage knowing Oakland's personnel. It's impossible because Gruden walked in and took over a Dungy team that made it to ther playoffs the year before...

Looking at the Steelers roster right now, it's got a bunch of either Tomlin guys drafted/signed or guys that got their chance to start under Tomlin..

[HIGH-LIGHT]Mendenhall
    Moore
    Redman
    Wallace
    Randel El (Tomlin's decision to bring him back)
    Sepevulda
    Kemoeatu
    Pouncey
    Legursky/Essex (anyone that plays RG )
    Adams/Colon

Hood
    Woodley
    Timmons
    Harrison (wasn't a starter until tomlin came)
    McFadden[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Impressive list!

Arians cancels it all out

Threads : 8

**** Cowher...slobbering waste of oxygen.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ScoreKeeper View Post
    **** Cowher...slobbering waste of oxygen.
    yeah, he sucked!

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will support any coach who can bring in talent that can keep us as a legit Super Bowl contender. People can say what they want, but the Steelers won a Super Bowl with Tomlin at the helm and helped get us to 3-1 without Ben. He is doing something right.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tomlin is never immune from criticism as far as I'm concerned, but I'll continue to support him as he progressively keeps the team moving in the right direction.

****canning Arians would go a long way IMO.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wholeheartedly agree with ****canning brucey.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 60

I would venture to guess that if we win another Super Bowl this year, Arians, as a two time super bowl winning offensive coordinator would still not be offered any head coaching positions.

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    yeah, he sucked!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information