Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowling ball collection

sjdrewk

Default Bowling ball collection

...or you can call it a bowling ball fetish. I just have to have every bowling ball that I see.

My very first bowling ball I bought in 1990 and it was a Columbia Black Knight. It was a plastic straight ball.

Then in 1995 was the first time I got serious about bowling and I bought my first hook ball, an AMF Ninja from Fiesta lanes ran by the Schumachers. during that time, I picked up a Blue Hammer
    BLue Hammer( faball original Hammer)

and a Columbia Cuda/c which I rolled a 750 series with back in 1997 during the De Anza v. Foothill home and home meet.
    Columbia Cuda/c

I just got back into bowling in July after 12 years being out of the sport. Today I just bought the new Ebonite Mission 2.0, which makes a total of 16 bowling balls that I now own....3 months ago I had 3 bowling balls all bought in the mid 1990's. lol

I plan on buying the new Track 715t after I get back from my trip and that will be the last one.

Here are pictures of my bowling balls:

Track 930t

Columbia Arch Rival

Roto Grip Grand Illusion

Roto Grip Cell Pearl

Storm Sure Fire

Hammer Jigsaw

Hammer Vibe Onyx

Brunswick Zone

Storm Virtual Gravity

Storm Dimension(One of the first bowling balls out of my bag)
    htt
    Ebonite Mission(Easily this ball and the Dimension are my go-to bowling balls.) The Ball pictured here is laid out almost exactly like mine:

Finally, my two newest edition, my Track 607A special edition which was bought on my birthday and my Ebonite Mission 2.0 which I bought today:
    Track 607A SE(Gorgeous ball!)

Ebonite Mission 2.0

My older balls I plan to beat the **** out of but the newer ones are to be babied, I will use them sparingly for tourney's and league. I don't want to burn them out....having been out of the bowling loop for 12 years and have only been back 3 months t I plan on bowling in tourney's and in league's in a few more months. I'm close to a 200 average but It takes me one or two games before I am able to read the lanes. So I have to work on that before I do any money bowling against guys that have been bowling for 20 - 30 years straight! lol.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bowling ball collection

You got a lotta balls posting that here.

Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My older balls I plan to beat the **** out of

Oh man, so many one-liners, so little time.

(sorry man, I'm bored)

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You have a problem! That's a lot of balls! I am the worst bowler ever. It's fun and everything but I suck. How much does the average ball cost anyway?

I used to bowl regularly but that was 20 years ago.

I have a 16lb Brunswick. I don't use it on the odd chance I go bowling, it's too ****ing heavy and I'm not in the same condition I was 20 years ago.

I had an average around 200 and bowled a 273 once. It was 10 years ago, my first time out bowling in a while. Kids event. Go figure.

Threads : 3263

Big balls....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

-that's a trick question so to speak(or Sorta speak if you subscribe to Bill Cowher speak). It all depends on what ball you get, a used, a beginner or a high performance ball and where you get it from: ebay or from a pro shop. The range is for a new ball, I'd say new would run from 70 all the way up to 250-300 and most pro shop include the drilling, slugs and fingertip grips and the tax in the cost of the ball.

Used can go from 30- to 100 dollars at the pro shop.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    I used to bowl regularly but that was 20 years ago.

I have a 16lb Brunswick. I don't use it on the odd chance I go bowling, it's too ****ing heavy and I'm not in the same condition I was 20 years ago.

I had an average around 200 and bowled a 273 once. It was 10 years ago, my first time out bowling in a while. Kids event. Go figure.
    Yeah, I can relate...when I got back into bowling in July, I took the Foothill class and I was so out of shape that I couldn't even get through 2 bowling two games without my lower back , quad burning and hamstring on my plant leg just turning to hamburger. In the 90's I had a 210 average but could only muster a 137 average for a few weeks when I got back into the sport. Then I started bowling regularly and now I can bowl 10 games and get through them relatively in tact and I am back up to a 200 average..

I use 16 lbs bowling balls and my previous high game was a 289 that I shot back in 1997. I broke my personal high a month ago so I know what you mean by "go figure"....out 12 years and beat my personal game high in my second month back in bowling. lol

Now I want to surpass my 750 series and bowl a perfect game. Those are my goals. Not sure how much time I'll be able to put into it with school taking up most my time.

Threads : 82

-that's a trick question so to speak(or Sorta speak if you subscribe to Bill Cowher speak). It all depends on what ball you get, a used, a beginner or a high performance ball and where you get it from: ebay or from a pro shop. The range is for a new ball, I'd say new would run from 70 all the way up to 250-300 and most pro shop include the drilling, slugs and fingertip grips and the tax in the cost of the ball.

Used can go from 30- to 100 dollars at the pro shop.
    Not surprising. So do you use a number of balls over the course of a game? And is there a limit to how many you can use or anything? Sorry for the dumb questions but I have only really gone here and there. Once every 3 years or so lol. I would imagine it would be fun tho.

Typically one is smaller than the other.

Threads : 9

My wife said you have pretty balls.

Sry....couldn't resist

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Not surprising. So do you use a number of balls over the course of a game? And is there a limit to how many you can use or anything? Sorry for the dumb questions but I have only really gone here and there. Once every 3 years or so lol. I would imagine it would be fun tho.
    Nah, it's not at all dumb to ask q's....Actually I really just use mainly two or three of my bowling balls. The rest just sit in the closet and I don't touch them. Steve the shop owner over at Homestead tells me to get rid of those extra bowling balls all the time.lol

Anyway, I take 4 bowling balls with me and it all depends on the lane conditions and what house I am bowling at....I have two dull balls and two polished balls with me , usually a mid range ball as well so I usually take my Dimension and my Roto Grip Mutant Cell which is a ball I forgot to add earlier Here it is:

Those are my two dull balls and then I have my Ebonite Mission and either my Track 607Ase or something else that is a polished ball in order for the ball to go longer and finish with more hook on the back end. I tell people that bowling can get really technical. I'll take 4 balls with me and if I am just practicing, I will play a game with one ball, then the next game switch to another....or I will try to figure out the lane conditions asap and select the right ball for the conditions of the lane and bowl all my games with just one ball. Over the Summer, I was taking 6 bowling balls. I have a Steelers rolling 3 ball bag exactly Like this:

and I have a 2 ball- Stillers tote bag but I got tired of toting the 6 balls around- that was too much and I was carrying them around for no reason because I wasn't even using half of them. I really get a feel to one or two bowling balls and just start wrecking them pins!LOL

-bowling is just so **** fun to me! I just love new bowling balls! I think the new bowling balls and the technology is so advanced compared to my hey day in the mid 90's when I was bowling for a couple years straight... At the time, I had the top of the line bowling ball in the Columbia Cuda/c. Now that ball is like a 1 out of 10 compared to say the new Mission 2.0 that I just got today. Even the lanes which most were wood lanes back in the mid-90's are now all synthetic wood lanes.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

sjdrewk

Oh and I forgot to answer the question about how many you can use per game or if there is a limit. I don't think so. I know if you are practicing and just going to open play, you can use as many balls as you want. One at a time of course. lol

In a league or tourney, that, I am not so sure, I would guess you can use a fair amount but there probably would be a sensible limit. I'll ask some of my buddies at the Homestead that are professional bowlers the next time I see them...Wednesday will be the next time I see them. I talked to Steve today and he is actually going to bowl in a tournament in Fremont. I'll ask him on Wednesday or Kevin. One of the two should be there on Wed..

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    My wife said you have pretty balls.

Sry....couldn't resist
    LOL! No worries, that was pretty good!