Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Draft.

Threads : 413

Default The Draft.

It's a long way out there yet, but not much else to talk about on the Bucs page until the GM meetings. I know that the consensus pick here is probably Rendon, but is there anything out there hinting at what the front office is leaning to? Picking #1 I also wonder who we might like in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 31

Default Re: The Draft.

I know the feelings of many who read the message boards and blogs towards current ownership and GM. But the contrasts between KM/DL when they drafted Bullington #1 and NH/Nutting/Coonelly regime will be greatly contrasted when Rendon is picked #1 and signed. When that happens and you still criticize the organization because they don't spend enough on Free Agents , well there is no hope those people will ever 'get it'.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

#2 and on are usually the picks that don't get decided until later on. You see those tpyes like Ackley or Taillon really nail down a consensus #2 spot later so it's tough to figure out the rest of a Top 5 right now outside of Rendon. Last year, I know a bunch of names got thrown around, we debated and such about a lot of guys and they were off.

Rendon is pretty much a consensus #1 pick. Many scouts and "experts" have said that if Rendon were in the 2010 Draft, he'd have been picked #1 overall instead of Harper. I know that there's some concern with his injury and there's going to be a lot of eyes seeing how he rebounds but based on what he's done and potential going forward, Rendon is the consensus right now IMO. I'm sure that the FO will say all sorts of things to make people not assume they are definitely choosing Rendon etc... Based on last years Draft, I don't know if anything the FO says, is going to be much meaningful in regards to who they decide on in the end
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 277

They should take Rendon and put the loser, i.e. lesser fielder, between Rendon and Alvarez at First, while the "winner" plays Third.

Threads : 35

Anthony Rendon had ankle surgery in July and, although he will probably be ready to go for Rice's 2011 season, it is not 100% certain. If he is ready, will he still be playing at the same level? His "lock" number 1 draft status is therefore yet to be determined. So now, a second question - if not Rendon, then who?

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by carney2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anthony Rendon had ankle surgery in July and, although he will probably be ready to go for Rice's 2011 season, it is not 100% certain. If he is ready, will he still be playing at the same level? His "lock" number 1 draft status is therefore yet to be determined. So now, a second question - if not Rendon, then who?
    Rendon. The above is like asking if you would give up Ryan Zimmerman because he had wrist surgery.

Is the ankle important? Yes. Would it have been better if he had not needed surgery? Yes.

But if Anthony Rendon isn't the Pirates pick at #1 next spring then someone will, and should, be fired. You do not abandon acquiring a talent like Rendon for something not immediately tied to his best attributes: hitting ability.

As to who else? Matzek, Jungmann, Gray...and some will say Cole (not thrilled).
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by carney2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Rendon. The above is like asking if you would give up Ryan Zimmerman because he had wrist surgery.

Is the ankle important? Yes. Would it have been better if he had not needed surgery? Yes.

But if Anthony Rendon isn't the Pirates pick at #1 next spring then someone will, and should, be fired. You do not abandon acquiring a talent like Rendon for something not immediately tied to his best attributes: hitting ability.

As to who else? Matzek, Jungmann, Gray...and some will say Cole (not thrilled).
    Gonna depend on the severity of the ankle and how he rebounds from it. Damage goods is a risk you don't want to be paying that sort of cash for ...

... but I personally can't see the ankle affecting him that much and even if he does struggle some, the long term potential of Rendon is what you're really drafting for. Not current stats and things of that sort. For us to not draft Rendon means that the severity of the ankle is so catastrophic that his foot could potentially fall off in 5 years.

What's extremely intriguing is that assuming that Rendon takes the Pedro route of 1.5 years to get to the majors, we'll have that Righty McThump to go with our Lefty McThump in 2012.

A lineup in 2012 of...

McCutchen
    Tabata
    Walker
    Alvarez
    Rendon
    Sanchez (Tony could defintiely be here by then)
    RF'er
    SS

That's the best lineup of potential bats that I've seen of the Pittsburgh Pirates since the 1970's. The 1990's didn't have all of that potential at once. Though the 1990 team had a young Jeff king and Jay Bell to go along with Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke, they were far away from hitting their productive primes. This batch has the potential of hitting at the same time

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Gonna depend on the severity of the ankle and how he rebounds from it. Damage goods is a risk you don't want to be paying that sort of cash for ...

... but I personally can't see the ankle affecting him that much and even if he does struggle some, the long term potential of Rendon is what you're really drafting for. Not current stats and things of that sort. For us to not draft Rendon means that the severity of the ankle is so catastrophic that his foot could potentially fall off in 5 years.

What's extremely intriguing is that assuming that Rendon takes the Pedro route of 1.5 years to get to the majors, we'll have that Righty McThump to go with our Lefty McThump in 2012.

A lineup in 2012 of...

McCutchen
    Tabata
    Walker
    Alvarez
    Rendon
    RF'er
    SS

That's the best lineup of potential bats that I've seen of the Pittsburgh Pirates since the 1970's. The 1990's didn't have all of that potential at once. Though the 1990 team had a young Jeff king and Jay Bell to go along with Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke, they were far away from hitting their productive primes. This batch has the potential of hitting at the same time
    Plus throw in Starling Marte who should be ready by then, plus the first wave of pitchers should be there (Morris, Wilson, Owens, Locke). Regardless of how they look now, the future looks promising.

A lineup in 2012 of...

McCutchen
    Tabata
    Walker
    Alvarez
    Rendon
    RF'er
    SS

I think he could legitimately take less time because I think his glove and 3B instincts are more developed than Alvarez.

Also, yes, that lineup projects to be the best (and youngest) the pirates have had in a very long time. The question, again, will be the pitching...
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 215

you all are sounding like the kool aid's very good...................I'm in!

Threads : 215

I can't help it!

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am praying for Rendon's ankle to be completely healed. And, if it is, he is the better fielder than PA who gets moved to 1st. This will then give us two BIG boppers in the lineup. We can then put a Diaz or Ciriaco at SS to upgrade our defense there.

Otherwise, we take another frikkin pitcher and I am tired of us taking pitchers.

I agree with BigBen in that, I don't want Gerritt Cole or Matt Purke or anyone else.

Threads : 20

Can you imagine this swing with Rendon's eye for the plate/ discipline... Especially hitting at PNC Park??

My view is this.. NH has done a nice job putting pitching in place in the farm system. Whether it be via trades or drafting, if you look at the Buccos' top 20 prospects, a large number of them are pitchers.

Positionally, it wouldn't hurt them whatsoever to bring Rendon in. If the worst case scenario plays out to where they move Pedro Alvarez to 1B; which has been speculated as a foregone conclusion since they drafted him ANYHOW; is it a bad thing?

Picture this.. Tabata and McCutchen at the top of the lineup with their speed.. Walker hitting at the 3 spot, Pedro the 4 and Rendon at the 5? That's potentially an electric lineup at the top 5 spots.

To me, you take Rendon.. There's zero debate to it.
    Listen Live, Every Thursday Night at 10 PM Eastern Time

Hidden Content (in progress)

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    Plus throw in Starling Marte who should be ready by then, plus the first wave of pitchers should be there (Morris, Wilson, Owens, Locke). Regardless of how they look now, the future looks promising.
    Most definitely. Always a possibility of someone like Marte who some project as a cF'er getting used in a trade but that is the joys and importance of building up your Minor Leagues and making sure you have depth in it. It allows you to trade players to get needs, but also have others in the system to replace that lost potential. Under Dave Littlefield you had a couple of decent prospects and that was it. You couldn't trade someone good because that's all that you had. You lacked those B-Level prospects (guys behind an Andrew Mccutchen type A-leveler).

That first wave of pitching will add some nice depth. No idea what projections are going to be for any that reach the bigs but depth in talent is important

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I think he could legitimately take less time because I think his glove and 3B instincts are more developed than Alvarez.

Also, yes, that lineup projects to be the best (and youngest) the pirates have had in a very long time. The question, again, will be the pitching...
    That's a question with every team. Look at the Phillies. they've had to empty out their minor leagues the past couple seasons to bring Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt, Roy Halladay etc... and bank accounts but they're a large market.. I look at a team like Cincinnati as a nice parallel. A team that has good starting pitching, but nobody that is dominant. They can compete with most any team and are consistent, Get to that level and then tryn to get better. I'd like to see Neal Huntington get us to that level with pitching this year and next. I believe we could have a better potential lineup of bats long term especially in regards to age compared to Cincy

Most definitely. Always a possibility of someone like Marte who some project as a cF'er getting used in a trade but that is the joys and importance of building up your Minor Leagues and making sure you have depth in it. It allows you to trade players to get needs, but also have others in the system to replace that lost potential. Under Dave Littlefield you had a couple of decent prospects and that was it. You couldn't trade someone good because that's all that you had. You lacked those B-Level prospects (guys behind an Andrew Mccutchen type A-leveler).

That first wave of pitching will add some nice depth. No idea what projections are going to be for any that reach the bigs but depth in talent is important

That's a question with every team. Look at the Phillies. they've had to empty out their minor leagues the past couple seasons to bring Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt, Roy Halladay etc... and bank accounts but they're a large market.. I look at a team like Cincinnati as a nice parallel. A team that has good starting pitching, but nobody that is dominant. They can compete with most any team and are consistent, Get to that level and then tryn to get better. I'd like to see Neal Huntington get us to that level with pitching this year and next. I believe we could have a better potential lineup of bats long term especially in regards to age compared to Cincy
    The Rays are my model. You get Rendon...you have Evan Longoria. You have Pedro...you have Pena. You have McCutchen...you have Crawford. You have Tabata...you have Upton (ok that might be a stretch when Upton is on). You have Walker...you have Brignac.

Now...lets get us a Price, Garza, and Shields.
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information