Thread: Pens Sporting New Line Changes At Sunday Practice

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pens Sporting New Line Changes At Sunday Practice

11:10 AM:
    The Penguins' Sunday practice at CONSOL Energy Center had a different look than usual. The team, which will fly today to New Jersey and take on the Devils Monday at the odd start time of 4 p.m., switched up their line combinations.

Pittsburgh's makeover looked like this:
    Kunitz-Crosby-Comrie
    Tangradi-Letestu-Malkin
    Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy
    Rupp-Adams-Dupuis/Godard

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pens Sporting New Line Changes At Sunday Practice

Yep.... give Sid the new guy!

How much longer before Geno goes back to Center?

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep.... give Sid the new guy!

How much longer before Geno goes back to Center?
    After they discover that Staal isn't the answer

I was watching the game last night with a guy that's a pretty **** big Pens fan, pretty knowledgable as well and I turned to him and said "that's 2 goals from the 3rd line without Jordan Staal there. It's early but the line looks good without him and with Letestu" ... so how much of the success that made Pens fans annoint the 3rd line "the best 3rd line in hockey" was all purely based on Staal like management believes and how much of it is based on good combos and chemistry?

I'll be curious going forward. I'm pretty ****ed they are breaking up the 2nd and 3rd lines. I love the way Malkin's line has been playing and figured it would just get better the more they gained chemistry, but Bylsma went Michel Therrien chemistry Killer early because Sidney Crosby and his line have looked dreaful. Whether it's Sid not looking good or Shero's reliance on 3rd wingers to produce like Top wingers consistently... I don't know....

Threads : 35

I still hope when Asham is healthy, that Tangradi stays, i know that is most likely not going to happen, but I think he has had a great start. I also think they need to get him on the first PP unit and let him what he does naturally and go right to the front of the net, nobody else except Rupp has seemed to want to do that, and that is what they need most, besides doing 1 shot for ever 50 passes on the PP
    formerly known as Eagle7187

I think he needs to stay up as well...

What is going to happen is in reality the ultimate decision IMO is going to come down to this ... Mark Letestu or Eric Tangradi ... since others have contracts and such that dictate their playing.

Personally I believe that Shero needs to start weeding out some of the 3rd and 4th liners he has to make room, permanent for legit Top pairing guys like Tangradi. To be honest, I really like Letestu's game as well and would like to see more of him but we have a log jam.

Threads : 35

I agree, if it wouldn't penalize them I would lose Dupius and Asham to keep Tangradi and Letestu up in a heartbeat
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TheConfluence TheConfluence
    Brent Johnson starting in goal today vs. the Devil.... (FHCMT accent).....
    Guess Dan is a MAF Basher too, For all the MAF apologists on the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post

TheConfluence TheConfluence
    Brent Johnson starting in goal today vs. the Devil.... (FHCMT accent).....
    Guess Dan is a MAF Basher too, For all the MAF apologists on the Internet
    Oooohh

gotta change the GDT

thanks!

Penguins Report: Practice 10/10/10

Sunday, 10.10.2010 / 11:08 AM / Penguins Report
    By Sam Kasan

1:20 PM:
    Coachspeak with Dan Bylsma....

Better puck management, a little more speed and getting on pucks and creating things. Some of the details of what made him successful last year have not been there and he’s gotten away from that in his game.

• On changing up the lines:

I think some players have played well and done some good things and, given that, they deserve the opportunity and vice versa. Some players haven’t done as well and were counted on in those situations. It’s not so much a shakeup in lines. Mark Letestu has done some good things and he’s done a good job in the middle there and he’s going to get a chance to do it with Evgeni Malkin.

• On Letestu playing with Malkin:

The best asset (Letestu) brings is his smarts in playing the game. His goal is an example of detail and smarts, knowing the opposition and knowing what’s going to happen on the ice and getting an opportunity because of it. Then he has some pretty good skill to make plays and get a shot on. In the first game, he got a loose puck and hit the post, and he went backhand forehand and hit the post on a nice move. And last game, he wasn’t the only guy to get in the slot in the game, and he goes backhand forehand and scores five-hole. So he’s got some skills to go along with the real, smart, intuitive hockey knowledge and it’s putting him in good spots.

• On the details of the game:

A big part of our game is the details of the game. And that can be anything from our stick and angling to positional details. Those details are extremely important and we count on every individual to do that. Over the course of a hockey game, there are thousands of details. If someone misses one, it doesn’t always end up in the net, but those details are big factors. Coming out of D-zone coverage (in Saturday’s game), we had an opportunity to do that, but we didn’t take it and they get the game-tying goal because of that. That’s something we pride ourselves on and it’s a big part of our game, but we weren’t able to do it (Saturday night).
    On studying how New Jersey found success against the Penguins last year:

We did look at it from a couple different angles, and I think one thing was we felt like our emotional control and our ability to stay the course, in all the games, was a big factor leading to the outcome. Early on they got leads or a power-play goal and we did not react well. The last few games, the games were close and tight, but we weren’t able to keep our emotions in focus and it took us off our game for periods of times in those games. Special teams are a big factor in those games. I think they were 3 for 14 and we were 0 for 17 or something. That will be a factor for sure. Talking to Paul Martin, they didn’t do anything special against us, other than the fact that they know they are going to try to limit our chances and limit our opportunities and play a smothering game and frustrate us.

Assist: Tony Jovenitti
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

12:54 PM:

Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma was non-committal on Sunday morning when he was asked by reporters if there was a chance Brent Johnson could make the starti in goal against the Devils on Monday.

"That’s a game-decision on that one," Bylsma said.

- by Jason Seidling
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

11:10 AM:

The Penguins' Sunday practice at CONSOL Energy Center had a different look than usual. The team, which will fly today to New Jersey and take on the Devils Monday at the odd start time of 4 p.m., switched up their line combinations.

Pittsburgh's makeover looked like this:
    Kunitz-Crosby-Comrie
    Tangradi-Letestu-Malkin
    Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy
    Rupp-Adams-Dupuis/Godard

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'll be curious going forward. I'm pretty ****ed they are breaking up the 2nd and 3rd lines. I love the way Malkin's line has been playing and figured it would just get better the more they gained chemistry, but Bylsma went Michel Therrien chemistry Killer early because Sidney Crosby and his line have looked dreaful. Whether it's Sid not looking good or Shero's reliance on 3rd wingers to produce like Top wingers consistently... I don't know....
    The opening game lines were back together in the 3rd. I agree with you about Malkin/Comrie/Tangradi. If they're left together they'll be putting up some numbers shortly.

As for Sid, he's had plenty of good chances in games 2 and 3. He's just not putting the puck in the net right now.

Threads : 77
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7187 View Post
    I agree, if it wouldn't penalize them I would lose Dupius and Asham to keep Tangradi and Letestu up in a heartbeat
    I'm so with you on that. Dupuis is...well...not very special. I'll just be mild here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information