Thread: Pens Players Making Adjustments. Let's Be Patient

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pens Players Making Adjustments. Let's Be Patient

2 Games down to start off the season. 2 Game in the brand new Consol Energy Arena. 2 loses to 2 teams Pens fans really don't have at the top of their personal Christmas Lists - Philadelphia and Montreal..

MAFoops.jpg.. Oh yeah, there's also a lot of panicking fans and deflated fans looking to pass the blame everywhere. Whether it be Marc-Andre Fleury giving up soft goals like he does far too often or new Defensemen, Zybnek Michalek and Paul Martin not looking like $9 million investments gone right to Sidney Crosby and his line of 3rd liners not producing or even looking visible out there... I even saw some blame the Powerplay that went 0-6 despite the Pens PK being a perfect 0-7 in the loss against Montreal... The blame is strong.. but ...

.. you know you just heard it...

The sound you just heard was reality knocking on the door. That reality is that this entire Penguins team is adjusting to a lot of "new". Let's take a look at it.

1. Brand New Power Play scheme and personnel. People are whining about it but it's still a new scheme that the players themselves are trying to get comfortable with. Players that have been Pens players for a while are the most affected since they are playing in a Power Play setting without Sergei Gonchar or a scheme that doesn't revolve around him. Adjustments take time. More than 2 games.

2. Defensive Pairings are all New. Not a single Defensive pairing we've seen this season played together last season or in Dan Bylsma's system. Zybnek Michalek and Paul Martin should be struggling at times learning a new system, they also are learning more about their pairing partner and vice-versa which leads to a lot of mix ups and confusion at times in your own zone. Alex Goligoski has now skated with a different pairing partner in each of the first 2 games. That is a lot of adjusting that will be fine over time. We would all prefer the struggling and adjusting now rather than later especially when it comes to such a chemistry dependent position such as Defense

3. 2nd and 3rd Lines are Brand new. The 3rd line is skating with a brand new center in Mark Letestu and the 2nd line has 3 guys on it that had never skated together in any capacity in the Regular Season before.. With the rumors of line changes coming for the New Jersey Devils game Monday, you can now add that all 4 lines will be skating with a lot of new faces. Chemistry is important. It takes time to learn other players tendencies. You have to expect this with the Pens.

I know people are going to talk about Training Camp and the Pre-Season but these Training Camps and Pre-Season are used like most to get a feel for younger guys more than it is about preparing players with systems, schemes and chemistry based things needed for the Regular Season. The Pens didn't start really working on their new Power Play until very late into Training Camp. With new Power Play schemes, the way they get better is through repetition and comfort.

It's no fun to lose your first 2 games and at home, but there's no need to panic. There's more than enough talent on this team to be one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference, but it's a lot of talent that needs to form cohesiveness that will only come with time.
    Last edited by Kipper; Feb-27-2015 at 08:34 AM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 77
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pens Players Making Adjustments. Let's Be Patient

Yup I agree on all points but it remains to be seen how far can Sid and Geno carry this team with little to no help. Comrie hasn't been that much different from Dupuis and or Kennedy as far as performance goes. I've been impressed with Tangradi and Letestu but Sid's production has suffered. Things will be better as soon as Staal returns and when Comrie actually gels with Sid or Geno. I'm not worried about the defence at all. When Martin and Michalek learn the system we'll have one tough defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Xterratu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup I agree on all points but it remains to be seen how far can Sid and Geno carry this team with little to no help. Comrie hasn't been that much different from Dupuis and or Kennedy as far as performance goes. I've been impressed with Tangradi and Letestu but Sid's production has suffered. Things will be better as soon as Staal returns and when Comrie actually gels with Sid or Geno. I'm not worried about the defence at all. When Martin and Michalek learn the system we'll have one tough defense.
    I thought Comrie looked better skatign as Center and with Malkin than playing as a wing with Sid. Comrie's type of game should mesh decent with Sid's but who knows

There's just a lot of constant change on a team that needs to start forming chemistry. Add in the injuries and Dan Bylsma going all Michel Therrien with the Offensive line shuffling through 3 games and it's tough to expect monstrous offensive output

Threads : 29

Are we still being patient?

They looked as sloppy last night as they did right before Therrien got fired. I'm not saying Bylsma should be fired but most of the first two periods were down right ugly.

At least Engllend pecked Orr right on the lips.

Threads : 413

But, but, but...Staal sucks. Guess you didn't read the memo.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    But, but, but...Staal sucks. Guess you didn't read the memo.
    I guess we have to inform those other 29 teams drooling over his size, skating, reach and penalty killing then
    Last edited by Xterratu; Oct-14-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Michalek is Most likely out for months with a separated shoulder

& the NOTED HOCKEY EXPERT Paul Alexander is telling people to quit putting all the Blame on MAF< that ought to tell you all you need to know about the Short Bus Window Licking Retard Known as Paul Alexander, MAF gives up 4 goals on 12 Shots through 2 Periods & well don't put all the Blame on MAF He is the Next IDIOT FIRED from The Fan !

Sid didn't practice today either

Threads : 35

Michalek out 2-4 weeks with upper body injury according to pittsburghpenguins.com
    Asham skated for the first time
    Orpik day to day with groin
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7187 View Post
    Michalek out 2-4 weeks with upper body injury according to pittsburghpenguins.com
    Asham skated for the first time
    Orpik day to day with groin
    Michalek will be fine, I'm not that worried. 3 weeks isn't an extremely long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    & the NOTED HOCKEY EXPERT Paul Alexander is telling people to quit putting all the Blame on MAF< that ought to tell you all you need to know about the Short Bus Window Licking Retard Known as Paul Alexander, MAF gives up 4 goals on 12 Shots through 2 Periods & well don't put all the Blame on MAF He is the Next IDIOT FIRED from The Fan !
    at Paul Alexander. Guy is ATROCIOUS at coverign sports. He kind of reminds me of the PG's Chuck Finder, a guy that can come in and read off the teleprompter but anything more is an insult to everyone else's intelligence

Dan Bylsma's post game says all that needs to be said about MAF and the thoughts on the goals. He didn't call MAF out but he said quite a few times that saves need to be made. That was a game (without your top defensive pairing) that you need your Goaltender to win games for you. With the cap + lack of wingers, we can't bail out our goalie as often as MAF is making it out

This is for all the it's Only 4 games don't panic People

3. [HIGH-LIGHT]How's this for some stats Jim Hughson dropped on the radio show yesterday: Since 1967 only three teams have won the Stanley Cup that didn't earn ten points in their first ten games of the season[/HIGH-LIGHT]. Maybe that's why we've already seen coaches blow up at practice, closed-door team meetings and it's only the first week of the season. Remember the days when we used to talk about the season being a marathon, not a sprint? Well, you can throw that out of the window as its crucial teams pick up points wherever they can get 'em or you rink falling back and out of the playoff picture even after the first month. Ask last years Maple Leafs about that. The last team to win the Cup and finish below .500 after 10 games? The 1990 Edmonton Oilers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information