Thread: Ron Wotus Interested in Pirates Job...Has Western PA Connections

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ron Wotus Interested in Pirates Job...Has Western PA Connections

Threads : 158

Default Re: Ron Wotus Interested in Pirates Job...Has Western PA Connections

Team has also interviewed John Gibbons.

http://bucsbits.mlblogs.com/archives...obref=obinsite

Threads : 1817

Thats interesting about Wotus. Would have to look into more about him since I know nothing of his experience and achievements etc...

Not excited about Gibbons
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 45

I believe Wotus was once a minor leaguerer for the pirates. Other than that, I know absolutely nothing about him.

sjdrewk

Ron Wotus managed the San Jose Giants I believe. I saw a few SJ GIants games at Muni stadium when he was the manager. He's been with the Giants org for a long time.

Threads : 197

Wotus has been the Giants bench coach since 1999. I'm always amazed when guys hold coaching jobs that long. He's been their bench coach so long that he served 4 seasons under Dusty Baker, 4 under Felipe Alou, and 4 under Bruce Bochy in the same position. Prior to that he was a third base coach for a year or two, and a minor league manager in the Giants system for 7.

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not excited about Gibbons

If nothing else he can take a punch.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Here is my list...in no particular order (commentary from FoxSports).

-Mike Quade, Ryne Sandberg: Only one can get the Cubs’ job — and perhaps neither will. Sandberg has spoken with the Blue Jays. Quade could be a steal for the Pirates or Brewers.
    I guess I would take either...although I actually would much prefer Sandberg. I am not so sure that I would see Quade as a "steal" but he'd be a good choice

-John Farrell, Red Sox: The clause in his contract that prevented him from pursuing a managerial position was in effect only through the end of this season. Farrell is free to pursue jobs — and interested in managing.
    I actually really like Farrell. I think he'd bring alot to our staff in both his pitching acumen and in terms of his overall passion for the game

-Ron Roenicke, Angels: The Rays’ Joe Maddon and Padres’ Bud Black both came from Mike Scioscia’s staff.
    Enough said. I really like Mike Scioscia...I really like Maddon...and I really like Bud Black.

-Jose Oquendo, Cardinals: Possible replacement for La Russa.
    My favorite, obviously

-Ron Wotus, Giants: Long seen as a potential manager; postseason berth will further raise profile.
    I am not completely sold on Wotus, but I do think that he has upside and good attributes to be a manager

-Steve Liddle, Scott Ullger, Twins: Isn’t it time someone tried to copy the Twins’ way?
    I think I would prefer Ullger

And there is my list. There are others I would be OK with, but that doesn't count.

I guess if I had to make firm list:
    1. Jose Oquendo
    2. Ron Roenicke
    3. Ryne Sandberg
    4. Mike Quade
    5. Scott Ullger
    6. John Farrell
    7. Steve Liddle
    8. Ron Wotus
    I mentioned Wotus awhile back...he might be last on my list, but he is there. Really, though, there are a lot of guys I would prefer over Wotus. I really wished it was a two-man race between Oquendo and Roenicke
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want Wotus only if he can bring the Giants' hurlers with him.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I mentioned Wotus awhile back...he might be last on my list, but he is there. Really, though, there are a lot of guys I would prefer over Wotus. I really wished it was a two-man race between Oquendo and Roenicke
    That's a good list, Benny. I didn't see it the first time around if you/when you posted it.

Reading through it and checking some stuff out, I really like what I saw from Roenicke. He's got a lot of Minor League Managing under his belt and successful too. Has been an MLB coach for a while and has coached with other successful coaches too. He got to be an interim coach with Scioscia was suspended and compiled a 4-0 record...

From what I've read, I like what I've seen of Roenicke. Much mroe than a hot head like Oquendo who has limited and lack of success Minor League coaching on his resume and has been passed over a billion times by teams to be a coach... 2 BIG red flags for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    I want Wotus only if he can bring the Giants' hurlers with him.
    I'm sure the results from him being a coach would like the support of the Giants hurlers to come with him as well. We'll call them a "crutch"

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    That's a good list, Benny. I didn't see it the first time around if you/when you posted it.

Reading through it and checking some stuff out, I really like what I saw from Roenicke. He's got a lot of Minor League Managing under his belt and successful too. Has been an MLB coach for a while and has coached with other successful coaches too. He got to be an interim coach with Scioscia was suspended and compiled a 4-0 record...

From what I've read, I like what I've seen of Roenicke. Much mroe than a hot head like Oquendo who has limited and lack of success Minor League coaching on his resume and has been passed over a billion times by teams to be a coach... 2 BIG red flags for me personally.
    I posted in a week ago in the "JR Fired who is next" thread (page 6).

Anyways, yeah my top two are Oquendo and Roenicke...you disagree with Oquendo, so if we ran the team we could likely agree to hire Roenicke and I would be fine with that.

I really would be OK with any of the top 5 and really happy with any of the top 3.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information