Thread: Whitlock:Look for a new man in Big Ben return

sjdrewk

Default Whitlock:Look for a new man in Big Ben return

Look for a new man in Big Ben return
    Jason Whitlock writes about the sports world from every angle, including those other writers can't imagine or muster courage to address. His columns are humorous, thought-provoking, agenda free, honest and unpredictable. You can e-mail Jason or follow him on Twitter.
    PRINT RSS
    474 comments
    Updated Oct 14, 2010 3:05 PM ET
    Hey, Jason!

Thanks for all the support. Can't wait to have dinner with you this week.

Jenn

Here are your Week 6 NFL Truths:

10. The suspension and humbling of Ben Roethlisberger might be the worst thing that ever happened to Pittsburgh opponents.

Stripped of his captaincy, forced to self-evaluate and mature, Roethlisberger now has a real opportunity to be universally respected inside the Steelers locker room.

It's no secret that before the suspension many of Roethlisberger's teammates, particularly Hines Ward, tolerated Big Ben solely because of his talent. Roethlisberger's arrogance and immaturity turned off a good portion of the Steelers locker room.

Now you get the sense his teammates love him. Roethlisberger handled his suspension beautifully. Taking advice from ESPN's Merrill Hoge, a former Steeler, Big Ben has reinvented himself as the NFL player most appreciative of his opportunity to play on Sundays.

I half expect Big Ben to do the Ray Lewis pre-game dance before the Cleveland-Pittsburgh game on Sunday. Roethlisberger now reminds me of Lewis, the Baltimore linebacker who almost lost his freedom and career because of double-murder allegations.

Lewis had to make significant personal adjustments after avoiding a murder trial. He threw himself into football and became Ray-ven Lewis, the most respected player in the league. It's not surprising that Lewis and Roethlisberger are now friends.

The problem for Lewis and the rest of the league's non-Steelers is that a focused and beloved Roethlisberger could make the Steelers totally unbeatable.

With Roethlisberger in the lineup, the 2010 Steelers are potentially as good as any team we've seen in the free-agent, salary-cap era. I don't see a flaw. Their defense is dominant. Their offense can run the ball. They have solid special teams. Mike Tomlin is a young Bill Cowher. Their lone weakness was the passing game and pass protection. Big Ben cures both of those problems.

A lack of locker-room chemistry was the last hope for Pittsburgh opponents. But it sounds like all of the Steelers understand how much they need Roethlisberger and they are rallying around Big Ben.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Steelers won the rest of their games, and we ended the season debating whether their 15-1 campaign was superior to New England's 16-0 2007 season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/b...-truths-101410

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Whitlock:Look for a new man in Big Ben return

Alot of Whitlock's comments need to be viewed with rose-colored glasses and taken with a grain of salt IMO...

... Yea, I hope he's right... But the guy always takes the "champion the downtrodden" role...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look for a new man in Big Ben return
    Jason Whitlock writes about the sports world from every angle, including those other writers can't imagine or muster courage to address. His columns are humorous, thought-provoking, agenda free, honest and unpredictable. You can e-mail Jason or follow him on Twitter.
    PRINT RSS
    474 comments
    Updated Oct 14, 2010 3:05 PM ET
    Hey, Jason!

Thanks for all the support. Can't wait to have dinner with you this week.

Jenn

Here are your Week 6 NFL Truths:

10. The suspension and humbling of Ben Roethlisberger might be the worst thing that ever happened to Pittsburgh opponents.

Stripped of his captaincy, forced to self-evaluate and mature, Roethlisberger now has a real opportunity to be universally respected inside the Steelers locker room.

It's no secret that before the suspension many of Roethlisberger's teammates, particularly Hines Ward, tolerated Big Ben solely because of his talent. Roethlisberger's arrogance and immaturity turned off a good portion of the Steelers locker room.

Now you get the sense his teammates love him. Roethlisberger handled his suspension beautifully. Taking advice from ESPN's Merrill Hoge, a former Steeler, Big Ben has reinvented himself as the NFL player most appreciative of his opportunity to play on Sundays.

I half expect Big Ben to do the Ray Lewis pre-game dance before the Cleveland-Pittsburgh game on Sunday. Roethlisberger now reminds me of Lewis, the Baltimore linebacker who almost lost his freedom and career because of double-murder allegations.

Lewis had to make significant personal adjustments after avoiding a murder trial. He threw himself into football and became Ray-ven Lewis, the most respected player in the league. It's not surprising that Lewis and Roethlisberger are now friends.

The problem for Lewis and the rest of the league's non-Steelers is that a focused and beloved Roethlisberger could make the Steelers totally unbeatable.

With Roethlisberger in the lineup, the 2010 Steelers are potentially as good as any team we've seen in the free-agent, salary-cap era. I don't see a flaw. Their defense is dominant. Their offense can run the ball. They have solid special teams. Mike Tomlin is a young Bill Cowher. Their lone weakness was the passing game and pass protection. Big Ben cures both of those problems.

A lack of locker-room chemistry was the last hope for Pittsburgh opponents. But it sounds like all of the Steelers understand how much they need Roethlisberger and they are rallying around Big Ben.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Steelers won the rest of their games, and we ended the season debating whether their 15-1 campaign was superior to New England's 16-0 2007 season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/b...-truths-101410
    No flaws? He does realize Arians wasn't fired in the offseason, right?

Threads : 91

This whole thing is making me nervous!

Ben's success has been based on his impromptu skills, if he out there trying to instill new footwork and technique I wonder if his impromptu nature will suffer?

Thanks God he gets a practice game to start with!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    This whole thing is making me nervous!

Ben's success has been based on his impromptu skills, if he out there trying to instill new footwork and technique I wonder if his impromptu nature will suffer?

Thanks God he gets a practice game to start with!
    The bye week came at the most perfect time... He's had 2 weeks to get re-acquainted...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    The bye week came at the most perfect time... He's had 2 weeks to get re-acquainted...
    Actually 3 if you count the Browns. Thank you NFL.

Threads : 49

Man, I wish the media would just shut up! Between this and James Walker's article that's not good. This team needs to not read the press clippings, only bad things seem to happen when the players do that.

Whitlock sure is making some bold predictions. 15-1?? I'd be shocked if that happens. I just want the Steelers in the playoffs, that's what ****ed me off more than anything last year. And let's not forget the Steelers were actually 6-2 at one point last year. There's 12 games left on the schedule, still a ton of football to play.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I now realize why I've never heard of the guy.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information