Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game thoughts from a Yinzer

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Game thoughts from a Yinzer

a) I don't understand why, late in the game with 6 minutes or so we were running the ball effectively and killing the clock. Then two consecutive failed passes on 2nd and 3rd down that effectively preserved the clock. Running the ball with the lead and 6 or so minutes left in the game was clearly the right avenue, I wonder who made the call for two passes at this point. Dumb ****ing call.

b) McCoy looked like the real McCoy for all intents. He might have a bright future as a QB, but we all know that the stains methodically turn potentially successful QB's into **** after a season or two.

c) That 4th quarter prevent defense ****ing blows. There is no excuse for it other than inept game planning.

d) Our punt return game is back to complete failure. Nobody will convince me that letting Logan go was the right move. Ever.

e) Ben looked pretty good. Forced a couple passes and I hope that goes away while he gets back into the groove. Like the spittin chin says though, keep it in perspective - these were the only the stains.

f) At least everyone will be talking about Ben's 3 TD performance this week and not... well, you know.

g) We won, we won big, but we should be running the ball more. Just my opinion.

That is all.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Threads : 49

Default Re: Game thoughts from a Yinzer

Have to disagree about running the ball more. The Steelers only threw the ball 27 times in this game and ran it 34 times (35 if you count Ben's run). If the plan is to score points, the Steelers NEED to throw it on drives, it needs to be a mix of both. Look at how the Steelers scored TD's today, it was mostly with Ben's arm or the result of field position.

I agree that at the end of the game the Steelers could've ran the ball on some 3rd downs and just kicked the FG's. I was actually surprised the team decided to throw on 3rd down late in the game but I liked it. I like the mentality of being aggressive instead of laying back and putting more burden on the defense. We do have a QB that is getting paid 100 million dollars!

Also, Sweetchuck, I think you're mistaking the time left in the game when the Steelers threw on successive 2nd and 3rd downs, there was still over 10 minutes left in the game and I thought the playcalls were great. Ben simply missed a wide open Mike Wallace, otherwise that's a TD. I think the Steelers need more of that kind of playcalling to put teams away instead of playing it overly safe. Just my two cents on the matter.

You're probably right about the time, but I have to disagree though. Matter of opinion thing. Late in the game when you're sitting on a big lead, you control the ball and run out the clock.

It's not like our rushing offense is bush league.

In a way I agree with you Sweetchuck. I thought the Steelers would've or should've ran the ball on 3rd down when it hit under 6 minutes left and just kicked the FG. But that might be because I've been conditioned on what to expect under Arians and Tomlin. I personally liked the aggressiveness, but a good argument can be made on either side.

When you weight the pros and cons at that point in the game, it's a tough call. The Steelers probably aren't picking up a 1st down with 3 straight runs and Ben probably won't throw an INT on 3rd down (of course the playcall has something to do with that as well). If you get the TD, you finish off the opposing team, which the Steelers did.

Threads : 691

I thought the game plan was solid. A bit run heavy to let Ben back into the flow,used Redman a bit more today. If the Browns didn't have 3 good/lucky punts,this game isn't even this close.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    b) McCoy looked like the real McCoy for all intents. He might have a bright future as a QB, but we all know that the stains methodically turn potentially successful QB's into **** after a season or two.
    Very true... But do you know for a fact that the new management will do the same with this cat?... I personally don't know the answer, and I doubt anyone else does either considering the new coaching staff this year for them...

Yea, I hate the Browns... But I think McCoy is a solid qb... It remains to be seen whether he develops in this league, but he played well today for a newbie.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Very true... But do you know for a fact that the new management will do the same with this cat?... I personally don't know the answer, and I doubt anyone else does either considering the new coaching staff this year for them...

Yea, I hate the Browns... But I think McCoy is a solid qb... It remains to be seen whether he develops in this league, but he played well today for a newbie.
    I don't think it's a management thing, but more of they suck thing.

Case in point - project rookie has no business being on the field this early in the season against a top defense. He showed poise, but setting someone up for failure right out of the gate isn't, IMHO a good way to develop a young QB.

Threads : 183

a) I don't understand why, late in the game with 6 minutes or so we were running the ball effectively and killing the clock. Then two consecutive failed passes on 2nd and 3rd down that effectively preserved the clock. Running the ball with the lead and 6 or so minutes left in the game was clearly the right avenue, I wonder who made the call for two passes at this point. Dumb ****ing call.

Totally agree with you on this one.

McCoy looked good but then again I think the steelers defense went soft in the 4th quarter.

c) That 4th quarter prevent defense ****ing blows. There is no excuse for it other than inept game planning.

see above.

d) Our punt return game is back to complete failure. Nobody will convince me that letting Logan go was the right move. Ever.

e) Ben looked pretty good. Forced a couple passes and I hope that goes away while he gets back into the groove. Like the spittin chin says though, keep it in perspective - these were the only the stains.

f) At least everyone will be talking about Ben's 3 TD performance this week and not... well, you know.

g) We won, we won big, but we should be running the ball more. Just my opinion.

other than point a) above I think we ran enough. I also liked the WR screens something we should be doing more especially when the CB's play off 10 yards.

That is all.
    See above.

I don't think it's a management thing, but more of they suck thing.

Case in point - project rookie has no business being on the field this early in the season against a top defense. He showed poise, but setting someone up for failure right out of the gate isn't, IMHO a good way to develop a young QB.
    That's an awesome point that is continually overlooked by folks in the media and by teams as well. QB's that are considered busts are often times simply victims of being drafted by a horrible team. It's hard to become a good NFL QB when you are continually being sacked (David Carr) or simply go to a bad team (Tim Couch). I'm not saying Carr or Couch were great QB's but they definitely had talent.

As for McCoy, I was very surprised at how good he looked, HOWEVER, we as Steeler fans shouldn't be that shocked. The Steelers defense has a way of making just about any QB look at least decent.

Before today's game the Steelers defense was allowing opposing QB's a 66% completion percentage.

Threads : 18

My thoughts too that McCoy looked to have too easy of a time or should have been under more pressure than what he was from a Steeler defense that is supposed to make headaches for quarterbacks.

The guy has no one to throw to and yet, he still gets mega throwing yards.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    As for McCoy, I was very surprised at how good he looked, HOWEVER, we as Steeler fans shouldn't be that shocked. The Steelers defense has a way of making just about any QB look at least decent.

Before today's game the Steelers defense was allowing opposing QB's a 66% completion percentage.
    Another reason why Ray Horton needs to go. But when you have a dumbass like Tomlin who is afraid to fire him or Arians you just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best late in games.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

nice observations!

Threads : 18

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Another reason why Ray Horton needs to go. But when you have a dumbass like Tomlin who is afraid to fire him or Arians you just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best late in games.

$

Threads : 91

When you play a team that has no offense you would think the game plan would be to pass the ball to protect the run. That being said, Ben needed to get in to the swing of things so I can accept the run/pass ratio in today's game. Especially since it was just the Browns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information