Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owner Randy Lerner's e-mail response to Browns fans' plan to protest Nov. 16

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Owner Randy Lerner's e-mail response to Browns fans' plan to protest Nov. 16

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/67176022.html

Browns owner Randy Lerner's comments (via e-mail) on the planned protest before the Nov. 16 home game against the Baltimore Ravens:

''On the grounds of frustration and irritation with performance, then that's the medicine I [we] are going to take, and I accept that. The goal this year was to rebuild the culture at the Browns. We felt at the end of last year that we lacked any overall philosophy, approach or direction regarding recruiting, drafting, coaching, preparation or training. As a result, each season was feeling like starting over and 4-12 following 10-6 felt painfully not all that surprising.

''It's been way too long since the Browns have had anything to feel good about or invest in, and it's clear that the doubt and negativity are taking on a life of their own.

''What I can say is that we, and I, have remained open to new and fresh ideas and thinking and people with passion for the Browns and football experience getting involved and with hope and luck and support, making a difference. We won't become entrenched or stubborn and despite my allergy to be more conspicuous, I do remain eager to seek help and guidance from any and all corners.''
    http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/67067577.html

Fans organizing a Brown-out

By Marla Ridenour
    Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 08:00 p.m. EDT, Oct 28, 2009

They jammed NFL fax machines and took fans' signatures to the league meetings when owner Art Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore after the 1995 season.

Now wondering whether all that passion and pain were worth it, two longtime Browns season-ticket holders have decided it's time to protest again.

Mike Randall of Massillon and Tony Schafer of Sandusky, aka ''Dawg Pound Mike'' and ''Mobile Dawg,'' want the team they've worshipped for a lifetime to kick off on Monday Night Football on Nov. 16 against the Baltimore Ravens in an empty stadium.

Not empty for the entire game just at kickoff, to voice their displeasure over the state of a team that offers them no hope. The Browns are 1-6 and have lost 12 of their past 13 games.

The two men hope to delay at least half the crowd from sitting down before the 8:30 p.m. start.

''I'm a huge fan and I love the organization, but something needs to be done,'' Randall said. ''We have to make a statement. It's nothing negative, just letting the organization know we support the team, but we do not support what's going on right now. There's no general manager, no public relations, nobody letting the fans know they feel our pain. Someone needs to step up and say, 'We're going to fix this.' Fans, it's time we made a stand.

''I'm not saying boycott or wear paper bags. We'll have people around the gates to let people know. Go to the concourse, go to the restroom, just don't go to your seat.''

Schafer said when he and Randall came up with the idea, he suggested the Dec. 6 home game against the San Diego Chargers, but Randall liked the Ravens game better.

''What better way than on Monday Night Football, a national audience and against the Baltimore Ravens, who we lost the team to?'' Randall asked.

Both Randall, 39, who works in sports marketing, and Schafer, 58, a general contractor, said their moment of truth came Sunday as they left Cleveland Browns Stadium after a 31-3 loss to the Green Bay Packers.

''Walking out of the stadium, so many fans don't really give a ****. Somebody said, 'We should have been out fishing instead of watching this crap,' '' Schafer said. ''We want someone to tell us where the team is going, what they're going to do. The way it's going, we could lose this team again.

''For a couple of days [in 1995] I faxed all the owners, broke the machines. I went to the NFL meetings in Atlanta with signatures. It's like all the effort the fans put in, it all went for naught. For me, it almost seems like the Browns haven't been back yet. I wear something brown and orange every day, a hat or shirt. I'm supporting the old Browns, the old tradition.''

Randall used to be one of two men who dressed as ''Charlie's Fryes'' when the former University of Akron quarterback played for the Browns. He and Schafer both have met Browns owner Randy Lerner and do not question the camera-shy executive's commitment to the team purchased by his late father Al in September 1998. The elder Lerner died in 2002.

''I've talked to Randy; Randy's a good guy, he wants to win bad,'' Schafer said. ''But if that was my company performing like that, I'd be a mean, nasty S.O.B.''

Browns coach Eric Mangini addressed the fans' frustrations Monday but probably lacked the passion that Randall and Schafer were seeking.

''I don't think anybody is pleased with where we are right now,'' Mangini said. ''We are going to work at it as diligently and as deliberately as we possibly can. The mistakes are going to be analyzed. We're going to put a plan in place to fix them. There is a commitment to that. There is no sense of, 'Things are OK.' It's a sense of, 'We need to do things better.' And it has to be consistently that approach, and it will be. It always will be.''

Randall and Schafer lament the loss of a generation of fans. Schafer has six tickets in the upper level of the Dawg Pound and is taking some of his five grandchildren to the games, just as he did with his sons, now 32 and 33, and as his father did with him.

''My grandkids used to dress up in Browns garb for every game and watch on TV. It's hard to get them motivated to do that,'' Schafer said. ''Three of them went Sunday and one of them said, 'Grandpa, when are we going to win?' ''

Marla Ridenour can be reached at mridenour@thebeaconjournal.com. Read her Browns blog at http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/. Follow the Browns on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/ABJ_Browns.

Browns defensive line coach Bryan Cox on the sidelines after Green Bay scored to made the score 21-3 at Cleveland Browns Stadium on Sunday, Oct. 25, 2009, in Cleveland, Ohio. The Packers won the game 31-3. (Phil Masturzo/Akron Beacon Journal)

Owner Randy Lerner's e-mail response to Browns fans' plan to protest Nov. 16

They jammed NFL fax machines and took fans' signatures to the league meetings when owner Art Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore after the 1995 season.

Now wondering whether all that passion and pain were worth it, two longtime Browns season-ticket holders have decided it's time to protest again.

Mike Randall of Massillon and Tony Schafer of Sandusky, aka ''Dawg Pound Mike'' and ''Mobile Dawg,'' want the team they've worshipped for a lifetime to kick off on Monday Night Football on Nov. 16 against the Baltimore Ravens in an empty stadium.

Not empty for the entire game just at kickoff, to voice their displeasure over the state of a team that offers them no hope. The Browns are 1-6 and have lost 12 of their past 13 games.

The two men hope to delay at least half the crowd from sitting down before the 8:30 p.m. start.

''I'm a huge fan and I love the organization, but something needs to be done,'' Randall said. ''We have to make a statement. It's nothing negative, just letting the organization know we support the team, but we do not support what's going on right now. There's no general manager, no public relations, nobody letting the fans know they feel our pain. Someone needs to step up and say, 'We're going to fix this.' Fans, it's time we made a stand.

''I'm not saying boycott or wear paper bags. We'll have people around the gates to let people know. Go to the concourse, go to the restroom, just don't go to your seat.''

Schafer said when he and Randall came up with the idea, he suggested the Dec. 6 home game against the San Diego Chargers, but Randall liked the Ravens game better.

''What better way than on Monday Night Football, a national audience and against the Baltimore Ravens, who we lost the team to?'' Randall asked.

Both Randall, 39, who works in sports marketing, and Schafer, 58, a general contractor, said their moment of truth came Sunday as they left Cleveland Browns Stadium after a 31-3 loss to the Green Bay Packers.

''Walking out of the stadium, so many fans don't really give a ****. Somebody said, 'We should have been out fishing instead of watching this crap,' '' Schafer said. ''We want someone to tell us where the team is going, what they're going to do. The way it's going, we could lose this team again.

''For a couple of days [in 1995] I faxed all the owners, broke the machines. I went to the NFL meetings in Atlanta with signatures. It's like all the effort the fans put in, it all went for naught. For me, it almost seems like the Browns haven't been back yet. I wear something brown and orange every day, a hat or shirt. I'm supporting the old Browns, the old tradition.''

Randall used to be one of two men who dressed as ''Charlie's Fryes'' when the former University of Akron quarterback played for the Browns. He and Schafer both have met Browns owner Randy Lerner and do not question the camera-shy executive's commitment to the team purchased by his late father Al in September 1998. The elder Lerner died in 2002.

''I've talked to Randy; Randy's a good guy, he wants to win bad,'' Schafer said. ''But if that was my company performing like that, I'd be a mean, nasty S.O.B.''

Browns coach Eric Mangini addressed the fans' frustrations Monday but probably lacked the passion that Randall and Schafer were seeking.

''I don't think anybody is pleased with where we are right now,'' Mangini said. ''We are going to work at it as diligently and as deliberately as we possibly can. The mistakes are going to be analyzed. We're going to put a plan in place to fix them. There is a commitment to that. There is no sense of, 'Things are OK.' It's a sense of, 'We need to do things better.' And it has to be consistently that approach, and it will be. It always will be.''

Randall and Schafer lament the loss of a generation of fans. Schafer has six tickets in the upper level of the Dawg Pound and is taking some of his five grandchildren to the games, just as he did with his sons, now 32 and 33, and as his father did with him.

''My grandkids used to dress up in Browns garb for every game and watch on TV. It's hard to get them motivated to do that,'' Schafer said. ''Three of them went Sunday and one of them said, 'Grandpa, when are we going to win?' ''

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Owner Randy Lerner's e-mail response to Browns fans' plan to protest Nov. 16

A Brown out???

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Owner Randy Lerner's e-mail response to Browns fans' plan to protest Nov. 16

Pathetic...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pathetic...
    Absolutely.What kind of moron wants to do a Brown out??Might as well take a giant **** on the stadium.

Threads : 137

They're in a world of **** with that team, I can't see them getting any better in the near future and if Cincy is finally deciding to play some football - the stains are ****ed.

It could be another 5 years until they put a team together that can win some games.

****um.

Threads : 58

The goal this year was to rebuild the culture at the Browns.
    And IMO, this remains the best football clip on the net...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vysQW2oNx8k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vysQW2oNx8k[/ame]

Threads : 60

I have two questions.

What the hell did they see in Mangini?
    Why was it so important to lock this guy up the minute he was available?

Threads : 88

"The goal this year was to rebuild the culture at the Browns". They'd love to, but they just can't find the staph.

Behold, the Brown Note is struck and half of Cleveland craps itself.

Threads : 23

It worked great for the Pirates

Threads : 10

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    "The goal this year was to rebuild the culture at the Browns". They'd love to, but they just can't find the staph.

Behold, the Brown Note is struck and half of Cleveland craps itself.
    Hmmmmm,

I always thought it was more of a yeast culture, than a staph.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not gonna work, that is getting enough people to miss the kickoff and if they do get enough people to miss the kickoff, then what? It's obvious from the letter that Randy Lerner knows and understands what the fans frustrations are. This protest or any protest does really absolutely nothing.

The ultimate problem is that the Browns have a horrible scouting staff, management and coaching staff. The coaching staff might be the ones to get less blame since they've gotten nothing to work with. Seriously, that defense has absolute **** for talent and their offense is led by either 1 piece of trash - Derek Anderson or another piece of trash that was a horrible bust of pick thanks to an awful scouting staff - Brady *****.

As a Pirates fan I know where the Browns fans are coming from but as a Pirates fan I also know that no petition, *****ing, protests etc... are going to make a difference. It all comes down to ownership needing to can people that are failing at management positions and bring in better people to run the franchise

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    It worked great for the Pirates

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    They're in a world of **** with that team, I can't see them getting any better in the near future and if Cincy is finally deciding to play some football - the stains are ****ed.

It could be another 5 years until they put a team together that can win some games.

****um.
    That Browns team could be turned around SO easily...but the structure just isn't there. It starts with a disciplined coach...and getting system guys...they could be turned around SO easily...oh well. Good for us.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 34

http://www.dawgpoundmike.com/id89.html

here is the website for this protest (not sure if it was listed above). Apparently they are asking people to email him if they are going to participate. so far only 1000 people replied. (but i'm guessing that is probably their projected attendance that night hahaha).

I feel for them though. Being a Pirate fan I definitely feel their pain, but I also realize (like kipper said) that this protest won't change a **** thing. But it should be funny if they actually get poeople to participate (which I doubt they will. )

sjdrewk

I think the publicity that the letter or email, as it were, got out this proposed "Brown out" is sufficient enough. There is no need to go any further than that- I don't think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information