Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison's hit to be reviewed

Threads : 413

Default Harrison's hit to be reviewed

NFL to review Harrison hit
    Monday, October 18, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The hit that Steelers linebacker James Harrison put on Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi Sunday is being reviewed by NFL officials to determine if it were illegal and if so what punishment the league would issue.

Harrison's earlier hit that knocked Joshua Cribbs from the game in the second quarter of the Steelers' 28-10 victory in Heinz Field was determined to be legal, according to an NFL spokesman.

"The first hit (on Cribbs, who was a runner) was legal," Greg Aiello told the Post-Gazette in an email this afternoon. "The second will be reviewed."

Neither of Harrison's hits that knocked Browns Joshua Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi from the game for good drew a penalty, at least not on Sunday. But those two were among a handful of vicious hits to the head around the NFL Sunday that have drawn the attention from the league office and ultimately could draw punishment including a fine and/or suspension.

Ray Anderson, the league's vice president of football operations whose office doles out such punishment, reacted swiftly to the head hits on Monday.

"There's strong testimonial for looking readily at evaluating discipline, especially in the areas of egregious and elevated dangerous hits," he told the Associated Press.

"Going forward there are certain hits that occurred that will be more susceptible to suspension. There are some that could bring suspensions for what are flagrant and egregious situations."

The first of Harrison's hits did not come in question, even though his helmet hit Cribbs' helmet on a running play. It seemed unavoidable, two players flying through the air with no apparent intent by Harrison to lower his helmet into Cribbs' helmet. The rules allow for such an inadvertent hit.

The second hit by Harrison is the one that has come into question. Harrison hit Massaquoi high, not necessarily helmet to helmet, but it does not need to be a collision of helmets to be ruled illegal.

In the past -- such as Ryan Clark's big hit on receiver Wes Welker a few years ago in New England -- the hit clearly would have been legal. But the new rule, changed at the NFL meetings in March, now says that a defender must give the receiver time to protect himself after catching the ball before he is hit high. Did Harrison do that?

Mike Tomlin was quick to note Sunday that they were "Legal hits, not fineable hits. He played good football." Unfortunately for Harrison and the Steelers, Tomlin is not the final judge on such things. The NFL will let him know their ruling, usually no later than Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10291...#ixzz12jtejcnI
    The NFL is bound and determined to take the physicality out of the game. Heard a good suggestion by Chris Carter this morning. He says that you really can't put in rules to reduce the physical nature of the game. The players are bigger, faster and stronger than they were 50 years ago but the field dimensions are the same. No where for the receivers to go and the field should be widened, like it is in the CFL.

Apparently this has been suggested before, and it was mentioned the same is said of the NHL, though this was the first I've heard it in relation to football. Actually makes some sense.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 60

Default Re: Harrison's hit to be reviewed

The game is constantly moving. Players are swerving, offense players are dipping their heads. How can you possibly blame a defensive player for helmet to helmet unless they drop the head and launch their feet. Other then that **** happens. It's a violent sport and they all know what they signed up for. If they don't like they should gain 150 punds and play on the offensive line.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the hit on Massaquoi was perfectly legal...

But as much as I hate to say it (and I even commented in the GDT when it happened), the hit on Cribbs will probably draw a fine... Not that I agree that it should.

... As the above article said, there were several around the league yesterday... Check this one out...

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Here's Harrison's hits yesterday...

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Cribbs hit isn't illegal than the second one shouldn't be either.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Cribbs hit isn't illegal than the second one shouldn't be either.
    You never know with Goodell! He might say that Harrison violated his "personal conduct policy" by hitting Cribbs too hard!

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dont understand how a play could be deemed legal on the field, ie not drawing a penalty, yet be subject to a fine or suspension? It just doesnt seem fair.

Then again this is a league that issued a 6 game suspension to a player that wasnt arrested or charged with any crime, yet no suspension to players with multiple DUI arrests.
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    I dont understand how a play could be deemed legal on the field, ie not drawing a penalty, yet be subject to a fine or suspension? It just doesnt seem fair.
    I sorta agree, but I dunno.... I'm not enough of an expert to know....

But I can see as the hit on Cribbs was not flagged because he was the runner on that play, and not subject to the qb rules. And if the ref didn't clearly see a "helmet-to-helmet" action and call it instantly, they cannot use replay to define it, by the definition of what replay can be used for....

The Massaquoi hit falls under the definition of "defenseless player" I think... We've seen several already this season in different games, and I think every one has drawn a fine as well...

... Not that I necessarily agree, though...

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I think the hit on Massaquoi was perfectly legal...

But as much as I hate to say it (and I even commented in the GDT when it happened), the hit on Cribbs will probably draw a fine... Not that I agree that it should.

... As the above article said, there were several around the league yesterday... Check this one out...

Saw that during the game yesterday(since I couldn't watch the Steelers)Jackson got laid the **** out.I havent seen a hit that hard since Clark walloped Wes Welker a couple years ago.

Here's Harrison's hits yesterday...

How in the world is a player crossing the middle with the football defensless? What the **** is happening to this league? Should the refs now blow a whistle when you are allowed to tackle a receiver? The hit was ugly but it's the nature of the beast for playing wide receiver.

Defensless to me is when the ball is tipped at the line, thrown over a receivers head or bounced to him. When he lets up on the play, and then gets smacked seconds later, he is defenseless. No way is Massaqoui (sp) defenseless he just didn't see the train that was about to hit him. Shame on him.

I will say Harrison did go helmet to helmet and will probably be fined but he didn't hit a defenseless player in my opinion.
    Last edited by LasVegasGuy; Oct-18-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    How in the world is a player crossing the middle with the football defensless?
    You're preachin' to the choir, as I agree.... Ask the refs..... But it is a rule, apparently.....

You're preachin' to the choir, as I agree.... Ask the refs..... But it is a rule, apparently.....
    Wow.

Threads : 1632

When they turn the NFL into flag football, is when they lose me as a fan.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    How in the world is a player crossing the middle with the football defensless? What the **** is happening to this league? Should the refs now blow a whistle when you are allowed to tackle a receiver? The hit was ugly but it's the nature of the beast for playing wide receiver.

Defensless to me is when the ball is tipped at the line, thrown over a receivers head or bounced to him. When he lets up on the play, and then gets smacked seconds later, he is defenseless. No way is Massaqoui (sp) defenseless he just didn't see the train that was about to hit him. Shame on him.
    I totally agree. I'm listening to the sports stations on Cirrus while driving home and they are crying over the hitting. Saying stuff like the equipment should be altered, the rules should be changed to allow officials ejection of a player for a hard hit. The hit on the Eagles player was as much as he was running full speed ACROSS the field and looking back for the ball. WTF did he expect? Please Mr. Eagle player, don't catch this ball and if you do just lie down so I can touch you?

I really feel sorry for the kid from Rutgers who is paralyzed from the neck down. I really do. But he did that to himself. Running at full speed into another player running in the opposite direct and then leading head first with his head down. Head-on collisions in cars usually have the same effect.

The players today are freaks. They spend hours in the weight room building mass and strength. I had the record in highschool in the 200 yd dash and I wouldn't have been able to keep up with most 260 lb LBs today. So let's change the game totally. Let's play rugby. They don't wear any equipment and you don't see national news coverage of any of their injuries.

I said on another thread that I heard the suggestion to widen the playing field. That most likely would give a greater separation to a receiver and the closing defenseman and make these collisions less violent. Something like needs done, otherwise they make a mockery of the game when they start fining, ejecting and suspending these players for doing what they were taught.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 49

Harrison timed the hit perfectly and here's the thing - watch the replay again, Harrison CLEARLY goes out of his way NOT to lead with his helmet. He throws his shoulder and arms into the WR. That is about as clean as it gets. I think because the WR crumpled like a piece of paper on the play after the vicious hit that some are crying foul. It's ridiculous.

I posted yesterday that players are actually going out of their way NOT to lead with the helmet and make contact with it AND are STILL being called for penalties and fines. ****ing ridiculous. The NFL is quickly going down the ****ter. **** you Goodell, owners and competition committee.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information