Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

      
  1. #1
    DrKnow's Avatar
    Status : DrKnow is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Jan 7, 2010
    Posts : 260
    Threads : 70
    Last Online : Oct-13-2011 @ 10:47 AM

    Default Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    until further notice...enjoy!

  2. #2
    (419)BlackNGold's Avatar
    Status : (419)BlackNGold is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 25, 2009
    Location : NW Ohio
    Posts : 18,418
    Threads : 206
    Last Online : Jul-16-2017 @ 01:31 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    I was wondering today if MAF would clear waivers if they tried to send him to WBS?

    Then I was wondering if it would be a good or bad thing, if another team claimed him?

  3. #3
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    ... It's a long season... He'll have his opportunity in goal again... But for now, I say go with the hot hand...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  4. #4
    Les's Avatar
    Status : Les is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 10, 2009
    Location : Secane,Pa.
    Posts : 10,207
    Threads : 48
    Last Online : Jul-04-2017 @ 07:08 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    @ the thread title.

  5. #5
    Beezy's Avatar
    Status : Beezy is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Pig Hill
    Posts : 10,074
    Threads : 82
    Last Online : Nov-10-2016 @ 07:09 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @ the thread title.
    Heheh. Get in line!

    Seriously tho I am glad they are obliging BJ the opportunity to roll with it. MAF tends to step it up when the comp is up his ***. This is just a great thing for everyone involved IMO.

  6. #6
    Pens5818's Avatar
    Status : Pens5818 is offline
    Rank : The Elite
    Join Date : Nov 16, 2009
    Location : Meadville, pa
    Posts : 3,823
    Threads : 35
    Last Online : Jun-10-2013 @ 02:25 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    MAF seems to lose interest way to easily, and he has just known he was the #1 goalie, so he didn't have to work to hard or anything to earn it, so he could play those sorta of games where he didn't try, and he knew he would be back in. He needs this pressure to bring out his best, or he will just continue to know that, hopefully this is a huge smack in teh face
    formerly known as Eagle7187

  7. #7
    BGK's Avatar
    Status : BGK is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 15, 2009
    Location : Pittsburgh
    Posts : 1,391
    Threads : 34
    Last Online : Oct-09-2011 @ 04:56 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was wondering today if MAF would clear waivers if they tried to send him to WBS?

    Then I was wondering if it would be a good or bad thing, if another team claimed him?
    Not that it would happen, but I highly doubt anyone would claim him...with his salary, there probably aren't any teams with that sort of cap space to be able to claim him...the only team that might have room is the Islanders, and I doubt they want another overpriced goaltender on their roster.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

  8. #8
    BGK's Avatar
    Status : BGK is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 15, 2009
    Location : Pittsburgh
    Posts : 1,391
    Threads : 34
    Last Online : Oct-09-2011 @ 04:56 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    I've been saying this forever, but this seems like a good place to re-assert my opinion on this matter.

    With the team the Penguins have, they do not need a $5 million dollar goalie in net....especially one who isn't worth $5 million. All they need is an average NHL goalie who can make the regular saves. I would much rather use that $5 mil so that I never have to see Pascal Dupuis skate with Sidney Crosby again.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

  9. #9
    DrKnow's Avatar
    Status : DrKnow is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Jan 7, 2010
    Posts : 260
    Threads : 70
    Last Online : Oct-13-2011 @ 10:47 AM

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    Save percentage is the best measure of a goalie's performance irrespective of the team in front.
    Lets take a look where the Pens $5 million a year goalie ranks with his peers:

    07-08 20th .921
    08-09 34th .912
    09-10 56th .905


    I know stats are not everything but those numbers prove that the Flower has been in decline and that he is over paid and VERY overrated.
    A goalie with average stats gets paid much less. Agree with what a poster above said...the Pens would be better off with just a goalie with average production that would cost less if they could get better wingers if MAF could be dumped.

  10. #10
    Pens5818's Avatar
    Status : Pens5818 is offline
    Rank : The Elite
    Join Date : Nov 16, 2009
    Location : Meadville, pa
    Posts : 3,823
    Threads : 35
    Last Online : Jun-10-2013 @ 02:25 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    Whats sad is, MAF is 0-2 or 0-3 with a BETTER TEAM (Orpik - Michalek) playing, then BJ is with out them playing, and BJ is getting paid a lot less.... that is proof right there!
    formerly known as Eagle7187

  11. #11
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7187 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MAF seems to lose interest way to easily, and he has just known he was the #1 goalie, so he didn't have to work to hard or anything to earn it, so he could play those sorta of games where he didn't try, and he knew he would be back in. He needs this pressure to bring out his best, or he will just continue to know that, hopefully this is a huge smack in teh face
    I disagree with this comment. The Pens organization royally ****ed up handling Fleury and developing him. Big time. It was one of the bigger colossal **** ups I've seen in terms of player development.

    They handled a fragile mind like Fleury like a toy, sending him down, bringing him up constantly because the Pens were cheap (so much for Ron Burkle's billions amounting to much). They toyed with MAF for his first couple of pro seasons and to boot the organization was either too stupid or too cheap to bring in a full-time Goalie Coach to work with their very young 1st round pick (that we moved up to draft) that they were supposed to be developing. A full-time goalie coach like most teams had at that time. Gilles Meloche at best supposedly "doubled" duties since he was also scouting for Fleury's first 2 or 3 seasons in the NHL until some point in 2006-07. Great development techniques.

    In the end what we could end up with is a goalie that never reaches full expectations/potential or if he does it won't be until much later in his career because he was jerked around by the Pittsburgh Penguins organization when they should've been concentrating their efforts into developing him, developing him properly.

    IMO, there was no reason why MAF should've been brought up in 2005-06 and he should never have played as a rookie in 2003-04 either. Both teams sucked some serious ***, while developing Fleury in the minors was more important than bringing him up to 2 teams that were disasters on ice with some of the ****tiest Defenses in the NHL and NO goalie coach. How the Pens dealt with Fleury should be penned in a book about "How not to Develop Goalies".

    As much as MAF's play has disappointed me, how he show poor technique in routine situations and allows routine goals, I've always been ****ed with how the Pens developed him and felt that if developed properly earlier on while in the minors full-time, a lot of MAF's technique issues wouldn't be apparent. I mean, JFC it took him until he watched Ty Conklin in 2007-08, his 4th season into the NHL before MAF started playing pucks. Are you ****ing kidding me? It took the Pens 4 seasons or so to start working with MAF on angle positioning. Something that should've been dealt with since Day 1 in development but the Pens were more concerned with trying to win a couple of extra games on the back of MAF's pure athleticism than trying to develop him properly.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  12. #12
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Save percentage is the best measure of a goalie's performance irrespective of the team in front.
    Lets take a look where the Pens $5 million a year goalie ranks with his peers:

    07-08 20th .921
    08-09 34th .912
    09-10 56th .905


    I know stats are not everything but those numbers prove that the Flower has been in decline and that he is over paid and VERY overrated.
    A goalie with average stats gets paid much less. Agree with what a poster above said...the Pens would be better off with just a goalie with average production that would cost less if they could get better wingers if MAF could be dumped.
    I already wrote an article on this with all of the stats. go read it
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  13. #13
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7187 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whats sad is, MAF is 0-2 or 0-3 with a BETTER TEAM (Orpik - Michalek) playing, then BJ is with out them playing, and BJ is getting paid a lot less.... that is proof right there!
    Same thing with Conklin in 2007-08. Conklin was posting great numbers with the Pens nursing some key injuries, mainly Crosby. Defensively we were skating a defense with Whitney and Daryl Sydor and a rookie Kris Letang until Hal gill came over in a trade.

    BJ deserves to start right now. He's playing too well to sit and the object is to win hockey games. Hopefully Management keeps this in mind when they make their roster/personnel decisions when Staal and Asham come back
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  14. #14
    Beezy's Avatar
    Status : Beezy is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Pig Hill
    Posts : 10,074
    Threads : 82
    Last Online : Nov-10-2016 @ 07:09 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same thing with Conklin in 2007-08. Conklin was posting great numbers with the Pens nursing some key injuries, mainly Crosby. Defensively we were skating a defense with Whitney and Daryl Sydor and a rookie Kris Letang until Hal gill came over in a trade.

    BJ deserves to start right now. He's playing too well to sit and the object is to win hockey games. Hopefully Management keeps this in mind when they make their roster/personnel decisions when Staal and Asham come back
    I loved the way Conklin was playing. This is a good environment for goal tenders IMO. You don't have to worry about a goal or two just play your game and the win will happen. BJ is playing with swagger now. It's so obvious because we don't see it that often here. I hate to pile on top of MAF but it's just reality. People are saying that BJ can't take us to the cup but how do you know that and how do you know we wouldn't have won the cup with Conks starting? Another 3 million on offense would have this team screaming.

  15. #15
    Pens5818's Avatar
    Status : Pens5818 is offline
    Rank : The Elite
    Join Date : Nov 16, 2009
    Location : Meadville, pa
    Posts : 3,823
    Threads : 35
    Last Online : Jun-10-2013 @ 02:25 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fleury Blows, it's B J Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with this comment. The Pens organization royally ****ed up handling Fleury and developing him. Big time. It was one of the bigger colossal **** ups I've seen in terms of player development.

    They handled a fragile mind like Fleury like a toy, sending him down, bringing him up constantly because the Pens were cheap (so much for Ron Burkle's billions amounting to much). They toyed with MAF for his first couple of pro seasons and to boot the organization was either too stupid or too cheap to bring in a full-time Goalie Coach to work with their very young 1st round pick (that we moved up to draft) that they were supposed to be developing. A full-time goalie coach like most teams had at that time. Gilles Meloche at best supposedly "doubled" duties since he was also scouting for Fleury's first 2 or 3 seasons in the NHL until some point in 2006-07. Great development techniques.

    In the end what we could end up with is a goalie that never reaches full expectations/potential or if he does it won't be until much later in his career because he was jerked around by the Pittsburgh Penguins organization when they should've been concentrating their efforts into developing him, developing him properly.

    IMO, there was no reason why MAF should've been brought up in 2005-06 and he should never have played as a rookie in 2003-04 either. Both teams sucked some serious ***, while developing Fleury in the minors was more important than bringing him up to 2 teams that were disasters on ice with some of the ****tiest Defenses in the NHL and NO goalie coach. How the Pens dealt with Fleury should be penned in a book about "How not to Develop Goalies".

    As much as MAF's play has disappointed me, how he show poor technique in routine situations and allows routine goals, I've always been ****ed with how the Pens developed him and felt that if developed properly earlier on while in the minors full-time, a lot of MAF's technique issues wouldn't be apparent. I mean, JFC it took him until he watched Ty Conklin in 2007-08, his 4th season into the NHL before MAF started playing pucks. Are you ****ing kidding me? It took the Pens 4 seasons or so to start working with MAF on angle positioning. Something that should've been dealt with since Day 1 in development but the Pens were more concerned with trying to win a couple of extra games on the back of MAF's pure athleticism than trying to develop him properly.
    I do not disagree one bit, but I dont see how this contradicts what I said, maybe both are related to some points, but he does lose interest at times, he just looks like he doesn't care about being out there, and just like you stated when Conklin came in and was playing great, then we seen a better MAF, all I am saying is that he needs the push so he isn't so comfortable, and he needs the push and help to help him not let in the soft goals, and how to be more consistant. But how management handled him, doesn't mean it did or did not effect how he plays some games, he should learn some on his own also, he doesn't seem to do that, he seems to be to comfortable IMO
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •