Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Staal returns?

Threads : 277

Default When Staal returns?

Who goes, Comrie, Tangradi, or do they trade..................Kennedy??

Threads : 13

Default Re: When Staal returns?

I would imagine that when Asham returns in a week or so, Tangradi goes back to WB. The real problem comes when, as you said, Staal returns. They will have to make a decision. I think one of the following happens:

1. They look to move Either TK or Dupuis
    --I thought this was a possibility before the season opened, and at that time was leaning towards moving TK, if you had to pick, because I think that the return would be greater. Right now, Dupuis has yet to get it going, although he has PKing upside, and has experience playing with Sid. TK has looked really good, especially the last 2 games.

2. They dump Godard.
    --I'm not a Godard fan, but I don't mind him being the 13th forward and dressing once every 2 weeks. If this is the move, you have to expect that the new 13th would be TK/Dupuis/Adams/Asham/whomever is playing poorly rotation, which I'm not a fan of, as I think it would effect the continuity of the 3rd and 4th lines. Not to mention that I don't think TK, Dup or Adams deserve to not dress for any number of games a week. (If this were the case right now, I'd imagine Pascal would be sitting the majority.)

3. They dump Comrie.
    --I think this is a long shot. Not because he has looked so spectacular, but he's making nothing, and can play a top 2 role. If this were to happen, he would really have to be in a slump.

4. They do nothing
    --This is possibly the most likely to happen, cause there's a good possibility that when Staal comes back in late mid-late November ( my guess), there is another forward on the shelf.

Remember, they're really gonna give the Staal centering the 2nd line with Geno on the wing a good long look. The emergence of Letestu looks like this will be easier, as he seems more then able to center a new look 3rd line upon Staals return.

All in all, a nice problem to have.

Threads : 277

We attribute too many positives to things like "good guy in the locker room, friend of Sid's, gives good quotes, can play a utility role."

At some point someone is going to have to critically evaluate Kennedy, Dupuis (who I know had his best year last year), and Max or you never will bring in younger, more hungry players, whose play might be superior to some of the "non-stars."

(Does Tangradi improve at WB?)

I kind of picked on TK because his shot selection is so predictable, down the left wing, shoot, or go around the net, look to the front and then shoot halfway up the right side boards. He is still a 10-12 goal scorer, who is quick, but.....
    Last edited by DCBILL; Oct-19-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: typos

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There could be another injury before then.

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think saying "there will probably be another injury by then" is kinda like saying " I'll clean the garage next weekend honey, I promise".

Anyway, I highly doubt Comrie will be the one to go. He is making next to nothing and his upside is through the roof.

Tangradi going to WBS is probably going to happen...not that I agree with it, but from a business standpoint, it makes the most sense...which really sucks. the pens have 4 key players out right now with injury, so there is obviously going to be more than 1 move made. Obviously Hutchinson is going to be sent back to WBS once Orpik comes back, after that, I would say that when Z-man comes back, i think Lovejoy will be the 7th dman because I think Engelland has looked great in all aspects of his game.

When Asham comes back, I think that Tangradi goes to WBS, and then when Stall comes back you have to cut someone or trade someone...I think it will be one of TFK, Max, Adams or Godard. I doubt they would get rid of Godard, not with the additions all the teams in our division made this year. I don't think they would get rid of Max simply because of all the off ice contributions he makes to the city of pittsburgh, and the fact that he is a fan favorite. TFK could have some trade value, but if they can't trade him, I don't think they would cut him, so if someone has to be cut, I would put my money on Adams. Guys like Adams are a dime a dozen.

All that being said, here's to hoping they cut Dupuis...
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 271

Staal looks excellent. Skating extremely hard, putting a lot of weight on his injured foot.

Threads : 35
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is my wish list.....

Dupuis traded, cut, or bought out
    Adams traded, cut, or bought out

Lines would then be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Letestu (Comrie)
    Tangradi-Geno-Comrie (Letestu)
    Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
    Rupp-Talbot-Asham (Godard)

that is my WISH LIST!!!!
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Threads : 271

From Joe Depto

Aaron Asham could play Saturday night, but if not, he'll make his regular season debut for the Pens next Wednesday against Tampa Bay. #pens

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7187 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is my wish list.....

Dupuis traded, cut, or bought out
    Adams traded, cut, or bought out

Lines would then be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Letestu (Comrie)
    Tangradi-Geno-Comrie (Letestu)
    Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
    Rupp-Talbot-Asham (Godard)

that is my WISH LIST!!!!
    I love those ideas...however, with the lines you propose... I think Letestu's ability to play center would make him a better fit for the second line with Geno and put Comrie on Sids line. but hey, it's YOUR wish list

Also, on a side note, I think the Penguins think Asham has more offensive potential than cooke and kennedy (Not sure I agree with them, but I think they have bigger plans for Asham than 4th line)
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 35

Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post
    I love those ideas...however, with the lines you propose... I think Letestu's ability to play center would make him a better fit for the second line with Geno and put Comrie on Sids line. but hey, it's YOUR wish list

Also, on a side note, I think the Penguins think Asham has more offensive potential than cooke and kennedy (Not sure I agree with them, but I think they have bigger plans for Asham than 4th line)
    I put Comrie and Letest in ( )'s to say that those 2 could be switched between the lines basically, I agree Letestu is better as a center with Geno.
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Threads : 1817

Tangradi will probably go down because he can. He's got the options.

If I were GM and yes, I'm in an armchair sort of, if a comfy PC chair with arm rests counts I would do the following..

1. Trade Pascal Dupuis. To expect him to provide the sort of production he did last year is unrealistic and IMO the Penguins are really risking the same exact expectations that they had for Colby Armstrong. The truth, is Dupuis like Armstrong is a 3rd/4th liner that's overachieved greatly in one season. Right now, Dupuis is making $1.4 million. His contract is up at the end of the season and there's a great GREAT chance hewon't be resigned, so cut the loss now and trade him for whatever. Low pick, career minor leaguer etc.. It's addition by subtraction. Frees up cap space and a much needed roster spot.

With Staal coming back, this opens up a roster spot in the Top 6.

Kunitz - Crosby - Comrie
    Tangradi - Staal - Malkin

2. Cut Craig Adams. Teach someone else how to kill penalties . Craig Adams really doesn't do anything good. He's a guy that sort of holds a position that we have better players to fill or at least players that have defined skills that you have to look long and hard to find with Craig Adams.

Keep the Center duties of Letestu and Talbot on the bottom 2 lines, when Asham comes back, that is what will make Craig Adams expendable. Tyler Kennedy has much more offensive upside, energy, right handed shot and talent than Craig Adams, so trying to choose between those 2 shouldn't really be considered.

Bottom Lines :

Cooke - Letestu/Talbot - Kennedy
    Rupp - Letestu/Kennedy - Asham

On paper that is a very deep bottom 6. There's some scoring punch, there's energy, there's physicality, there's some heart ...

The goal will be to find a replacement PK'er out of a Forward. Perhaps all you do is just increase Rupp and Kunitz's SH minutes. Give them 60 seconds more each on average per game and you made up Adams' 2 minutes.

I went and did a search and the NHL's main stat pages and such are ***. Anyone know if Tangradi and Letestu killed penalties in WBS?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post

the thing is, don't get wrapped up in Lines per se. just because someone is marked down to be on a specific line doesn't mean that's all they are going to play. Letestu has been pretty much starting as the 4th Line Center on this team. Talbot's been centering the 3rd and if Comrie is in, he's centering the 2nd. The one game Comrie was out, Letestu started as the 2nd line center but that's been it.

Letestu is averaging the 3rd most minutes for a Forward ES behind Crosby and Malkin. I used ES because he's not used to Kill Penalties and not getting a ton of PP time like say Comrie and Kunitz (4 minutes less than those 2 on average per game).

I would expect that Asham will get more minutes per game ES than say Eric Godard does playing on the 4th line . For example (Rupp and Asham played on a line together in New Jersey which is nice to have that type of chemistry), Asham averaged about 7 minutes or so ES with New Jersey. I sort of ignored what they had him do in Philadelphia because the Flyers are a joke. I don't like using them for an example of anything except failure ...... Godard is averaging under 5 minutes per game ES this season. He averaged under 5 ES all last season too whereas a guy like Adams or Rupp were averaging about 8 minutes ES. Bylsma gives a lot of minutes to guys.

I wouldn'ty expect Asham to get any more than in the 7-8 range of minutes ES. That's been his career norm

Threads : 29

I feel kind of bad for Tangardi because he clearly showed he belongs up here but will get demoted because he's the only one with options left. As far as I'm concerned he should be on one of the top two lines permanently.

Trading Dupuis or Kennedy seems the most logical way to get rid of a guy to me. I can't imagine Adams has any trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    I feel kind of bad for Tangardi because he clearly showed he belongs up here but will get demoted because he's the only one with options left. As far as I'm concerned he should be on one of the top two lines permanently.

Trading Dupuis or Kennedy seems the most logical way to get rid of a guy to me. I can't imagine Adams has any trade value.
    Neither Dupuis or Kennedy are going to fetch anything of any use either. You really looking at getting rid of whoever is most replaceable to clear roster space and if you can shed salary in the meaintime, that as well.

Kennedy is just 23 years old. 10 years younger than Craig Adams at 33. 8 years younger than Pascal Dupuis at 31. I'm, keeping the young guy that's not anywhere near his playing prime who should remain a sub-$1 million payroll guy on his next contract.

As for Adams, we claimed him off of waivers. That's about the most we'll get for him

Threads : 13

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    I feel kind of bad for Tangardi because [HIGH-LIGHT]he clearly showed he belongs up here [/HIGH-LIGHT]but will get demoted because he's the only one with options left. As far as I'm concerned he should be on one of the top two lines permanently.

I don't think that Tangradi has "clearly" shown that he belongs, yet. I think it will do him some good to play a top 3 role in WB, and log a ton of time on the PP. And, most importantly, work on consistency in his game.(remember, hes only 21) When you notice Tangradi, hes good, but sometimes, he seems to be floating a bit. He seemed pretty absent in the Ottawa game especially. His TOI has been steadily decreasing since the start of the season. I would ultimately like to see him on Sids wing, being a big body that goes after it down low, and has enough touch to finish when Sid finds him in front. It would also be great if he could really become the net front presence on the first PP unit. Something he can surly work on on the AHL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information