Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison considers retirement?

Threads : 60

Default Harrison considers retirement?

James Harrison believes the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits is cramping his style. And, unless Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can convince him otherwise, the 32-year-old linebacker claimed Tuesday night that he might consider retirement.

Hours after the league fined him $75,000 for his concussion-causing hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Harrison appeared on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" and told guest host Jody McDonald that his first stop Wednesday morning will be in Tomlin's office.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was one of three players punished Tuesday by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits. However, he was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender. He was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf during the Steelers' Sept. 19 victory.

Harrison, the 2008 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time Pro Bowl pick, rammed headfirst into Massaquoi as the receiver tried to complete a catch during the second quarter. Massaquoi briefly crumpled to the turf but was soon on his feet, although he didn't return to the game.

Earlier in the game, Harrison sidelined Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs with a helmet-first hit that caused a concussion. However, the NFL said Monday that tackle was permissible because Cribbs was a runner on the Wildcat play, and that hit didn't factor into Harrison's fine. He wasn't penalized on either play.

Tomlin publicly backed Harrison on Tuesday morning before the fine was announced, saying the linebacker made "legal hits, not fineable hits." The coach also downplayed Harrison's postgame comments that he tries to hurt, not injure, opponents because it increases the Steelers' chances of winning.

"I didn't see those comments, but I know James," Tomlin said. "James says a lot of things he doesn't necessarily mean. He's a tough talker, like a lot of guys that play the game at this level. If you want to get to know James, catch him on a Tuesday when he's walking through the building with his son. He's a big softie."

Now Tomlin must talk down Harrison, who sounded frustrated by a punishment that his agent, Bill Parise, called "staggering." Parise said Harrison would appeal the fine.

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," Harrison told Fox Sports Radio. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Harrison later added that if a solution can't be reached, "I'm going to have to try and find a way that I may possibly get out of whatever agreement I agreed to with the Steelers."

That agreement is a six-year, $51.175 million contract that he signed last year and contains low base salaries in the early portion. Harrison is making $44,411.76 in base salary per game this season, so the $75,000 fine equates to nearly two checks.

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, doesn't believe even that's enough.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" Ayrault said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.
    Last edited by LasVegasGuy; Oct-19-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Harrison considers retirement?

Couple thoughts.

a) Where is the union on this matter? Aren't they supposed to support players against questionable NFL moves? Maybe Harrison should visit his union steward first.

b) He'll calm down after some time. Once he realizes that making $44k per game beats the hell out of making $0 per game, it'll all go away.

c) With all of the talk about fines and helmet to helmet hits and rule changes, I see some blowback from football purists. Anyone catch Steve Young's comments after MNF yesterday? He suggested that football isn't football anymore and should be referred to as "rugby with helmets". If there is going to be a movement to stopping Goodell from wrecking the worlds greatest game, I hope Harrison's threatened retirement isn't the lit fuse.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couple thoughts.

a) Where is the union on this matter? Aren't they supposed to support players against questionable NFL moves? Maybe Harrison should visit his union steward first.

b) He'll calm down after some time. Once he realizes that making $44k per game beats the hell out of making $0 per game, it'll all go away.

c) With all of the talk about fines and helmet to helmet hits and rule changes, I see some blowback from football purists. Anyone catch Steve Young's comments after MNF yesterday? He suggested that football isn't football anymore and should be referred to as "rugby with helmets". If there is going to be a movement to stopping Goodell from wrecking the worlds greatest game, I hope Harrison's threatened retirement isn't the lit fuse.
    I agree. I didn't expect anything else from Steve Young considering he was a victim of many concussions but to turn the game into flag football or rugby with helmets is plain wrong.

Instead of picking on the defenses how about telling the offenses to change their style. If the Patriots insist on building their offense around a 5'5 munchkin catching 5 yard passes and 50 YAC then don't complain when a linebacker finally lights him up.

The players union should strike now and not wait to be locked out. What good is the union if Harrison can't use them in a time of need. The players union should seriously fight this new rule tooth and ****ing nail.

Threads : 137

LVG - I'm not sure if you misinterpreted Young's comments. If you saw the clip after MNF, he was arguing that these rule changes are killing the game.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Goodall is ruining the game. I know many fans hate the bastard, and i'm in that camp. But, it's time for fans all across the nation to go the games, and have a protest to get that guy replaced.

Fire goodall!

Threads : 691

Steelers LB Harrison mulling retirement after $75K fine for hitNFL.com Wire Reports
    Published: Oct. 19, 2010 at 12:15 a.m. Updated: Oct. 19, 2010 at 12:27 a.m. Liked: 3 | Comments: 803 Email Like Print Read Discuss

Friend(s) Email

Your Email
    Send Email By NFL.com Wire Reports
    More Columns >

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

James Harrison believes the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits is cramping his style. And, unless Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can convince him otherwise, the 32-year-old linebacker claimed Tuesday night that he might consider retirement.

Hours after the league fined him $75,000 for his concussion-causing hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Harrison appeared on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" and told guest host Jody McDonald that his first stop Wednesday morning will be in Tomlin's office.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was one of three players punished Tuesday by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits. Hee was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender. He was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf during the Steelers' Sept. 19 victory.

Harrison, the 2008 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time Pro Bowl pick, rammed headfirst into Massaquoi as the receiver tried to complete a catch during the second quarter. Massaquoi briefly crumpled to the turf but was soon on his feet, although he didn't return to the game.

Earlier in the game, Harrison sidelined Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs with a helmet-first hit that caused a concussion. The NFL said Monday that tackle was permissible because Cribbs was a runner on the Wildcat play, and that hit didn't factor into Harrison's fine. He wasn't penalized on either play.

Tomlin publicly backed Harrison on Tuesday morning before the fine was announced, saying the linebacker made "legal hits, not fineable hits." The coach also downplayed Harrison's postgame comments that he tries to hurt, not injure, opponents because it increases the Steelers' chances of winning.

"I didn't see those comments, but I know James," Tomlin said. "James says a lot of things he doesn't necessarily mean. He's a tough talker, like a lot of guys that play the game at this level. If you want to get to know James, catch him on a Tuesday when he's walking through the building with his son. He's a big softie."

Carucci: Former safety's solution
    The NFL fined three players Tuesday for helmet-to-helmet hits, but former safety Rodney Harrison believes only suspensions will stop the trend, he told Vic Carucci. More ...

Blog: NFL Network analysts' reaction
    Blog: Some say Robinson's hit was legal
    Watch: Debate about league's response
    Watch: Davis, Mora talk tackle technique Now Tomlin must talk down Harrison, who sounded frustrated by a punishment that his agent, Bill Parise, called "staggering." Parise said Harrison would appeal the fine.

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," Harrison told Fox Sports Radio. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Harrison later added that if a solution can't be reached, "I'm going to have to try and find a way that I may possibly get out of whatever agreement I agreed to with the Steelers."

That agreement is a six-year, $51.175 million contract that he signed last year and contains low base salaries in the early portion. Harrison is making $44,411.76 in base salary per game this season, so the $75,000 fine equates to nearly two checks.

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, doesn't believe even that's enough.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" Ayrault said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    http://http://www.nfl.com/news/story...e=HP_headlines
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 29

What I find "funny" is almost all of the *****ing and moaning about this is coming from the media/press. And I don't mean former players giving commentary I mean the guys who went to school for this and it's there chosen profession. While most of the players and former players think this is ridiculous.

Threads : 88

In many ways, who can blame Harrison? This is another round of arbitrary crop from the NFL hierarchy of Management Flunkies. I suspect that a lot of them have forgotten what it's like to be either a player or a fan.

Harrison's Union really should intervene and make representations, if it want to be seen as anything more than a paper tiger.

And LVG: "flag football or [HIGH-LIGHT]rugby with helmets[/HIGH-LIGHT] is plain wrong." WTF!? Have you ever actually played any kind of competitive Rugby? Sorry, just got my back up a little there.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I said it on facebook to a Browns fan that he may be the greatest linebacker in history. We will never know. They won't let him play. They constantly favor the offense. They should be encouraging outstanding play not discouraging it.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I said it on facebook to a Browns fan that he may be the greatest linebacker in history. We will never know. They won't let him play. They constantly favor the offense. They should be encouraging outstanding play not discouraging it.
    I would like to know when the NFL is going to start legislating offensive tackles from CHOKING James Harrison.

Seems that choking a guy can be pretty dangerous too, no?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I would like to know when the NFL is going to start legislating offensive tackles from CHOKING James Harrison.

Seems that choking a guy can be pretty dangerous too, no?
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 413

Where was the outrage 2 years ago when Ray-Ray hit Mendenhall so hard on a dive play that he broke his shoulder? The NFL is really starting to **** me off. Check that. Roger Goodell is really starting to **** me off.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Roger Goodell is really starting to **** me off.
    Took you this long,huh?

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    In many ways, who can blame Harrison? This is another round of arbitrary crop from the NFL hierarchy of Management Flunkies. I suspect that a lot of them have forgotten what it's like to be either a player or a fan.

Harrison's Union really should intervene and make representations, if it want to be seen as anything more than a paper tiger.

And LVG: "flag football or [HIGH-LIGHT]rugby with helmets[/HIGH-LIGHT] is plain wrong." WTF!? Have you ever actually played any kind of competitive Rugby? Sorry, just got my back up a little there.
    I was going to say the same thing. While I was not a "big ugly" in the scrum I got nailed enough playing Fullback to know Steve Young has never seen Rugby played.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    What I find "funny" is almost all of the *****ing and moaning about this is coming from the media/press. And I don't mean former players giving commentary I mean the guys who went to school for this and it's there chosen profession. While most of the players and former players think this is ridiculous.
    This is a very good point!- the so called experts

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information