Thread: Steelers Team Report

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers Team Report

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...s-2010-nfl-pit

Steelers Team Report
    Yahoo! Sports
    INSIDE SLANT

The Steelers have another distraction on their hands after going through a very big one with the charges of sexual misconduct and a four-game suspension levied on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger returned and played in his first game Sunday, a 28-10 victory over the Cleveland Browns. Now, as a result of a tackle in that game, three-time Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison stayed away from Wednesday’s practice and says he’s considering retirement.

Coach Mike Tomlin and some of Harrison’s teammates, though, expect him to return to work on Thursday after he cools down over a $75,000 fine levied against him by the NFL on Tuesday.

“I’m sure he’ll be back in the building and ready to play football tomorrow.” Tomlin said.

“I thought it was beneficial to him and us if I give him a little time to cool off and give him the day. I excused him at that time.

“Needless to say this is a very emotional thing for James. He’s a very disciplined and regimented guy. He’s passionate about the game of football. It bothers him that he may be perceived as a dirty player. He doesn’t desire to be. He simply wants to play the game and play it well.”

Tomlin, though, maintained he believed Harrison’s hit that knocked Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi out of the game was a legal one. Many of his defensive players said they now are unclear how to tackle.

“We all have the same concerns about what’s legal and what’s not legal,” said linebacker James Farrior, the captain of the defense. “I don’t think it’s defined right now, so it’s a question mark for us. We don’t want to get into trouble every time we hit somebody, so it’s definitely a concern.”

Several defensive players warned that there may be more knee injuries as tacklers hit lower because they are worried about getting fined or suspended.

“Guys are going to fear getting a big fine,” said linebacker LaMarr Woodley, “and they’re going to start going for guys’ knees and that’s going to be a serious problem once guys start getting their knees blown out and mess up the way they walk the rest of their lives.”

Said free safety Ryan Clark, himself a target for criticism after some high hits on receivers, “Now where do we go from here? Obviously we don’t want to see guys blowing MCLs and thigh bruises and hip contusions and hip replacements and things like that. So it will still be a touchy subject. You have to find a way to hit these guys within the rules. Obviously hitting a guy low right now is within the rules.”

[HIGH-LIGHT]And they would like to see defensive players protected a little more. Cleveland halfback Peyton Hillis, for example, injured Troy Polamalu when he lowered his head and rammed into him Sunday.

“What’s protecting us?” Farrior asked.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Series History: 21st regular-season meeting. Steelers lead series that began in 1971, 11-9. The Dolphins are 7-5 in Miami, but lost to the Steelers at home 30-24 in the final game of the 2010 season, the Steelers’ second consecutive victory in South Florida. Miami also is 2-1 in the playoffs against Pittsburgh. The Steelers have won nine of the past 12 games against the Dolphins.

NOTES, QUOTES

• QB Ben Roethlisberger made his first NFL start in Miami in the third game of his rookie season, 2004. The Steelers won, 13-3, and Roethlisberger, who played at Miami University in Ohio has never seen his team lose to the Dolphins. He is 3-0 against them as a starter and the Steelers also won the opener against Miami in 2006 when Roethlisberger was sidelined following an appendectomy.

• For the first time in 16 years, the Steelers will play three consecutive games on the road in the regular season. They last did it in 1994. They did it in the playoffs in 2005, but those weren’t scheduled. They also played three straight weekends on the road in 1991. This will be only the third time in 29 seasons they’ve been scheduled for it. Four other NFL teams play three straight on the road, all into December: Cleveland, Denver, Atlanta and St. Louis.

“They’re making it tough for us,” linebacker James Farrior said. “It’s definitely going to be a big challenge for us. To win games on the road is important for a championship team. You definitely have to do that. It’s going to be a tough road but I think we’re ready for it.”

• Pittsburgh’s defense has allowed the fewest yards in the NFL since the start of the 2006 season with 19,231.

• Rookie WR Emmanuel Sanders(notes) dressed for only the second time last season after rookie WR Antonio Brown(notes) dressed for games 2-4. Sanders caught his first two NFL passes. Brown has an 89-yard kickoff return for a TD.

Said Tomlin: “We’re going to continue to pit those two young men against each other so that we can get the desired results that we want, which is third-down conversions like he provided for us, which is quality kick returns like Antonio Brown provided for us.”

By The Numbers: 48—Road victories by the Steelers in this century, fourth most in the NFL. They play the next three on the road.

Quote To Note: “We can’t go around hitting guys in the head. They made that point.”—S Ryan Clark, on the stiff fines levied by the NFL for high hits this week.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

Player Notes

• LB Lawrence Timmons was named AFC defensive player of the week for his play against Cleveland, which included 14 tackles, two sacks and an interception. His 67 tackles lead the next closest Steelers defender by 26 and also lead the NFL.

• LB James Harrison and LB LaMarr Woodley were given half a sack apiece on Wednesday by NFL statisticians on a tackle they made of Josh Cribbs, the ruling on it that Cribbs was playing quarterback and intended to pass before he scrambled. Harrison now has 5.0 sacks to lead the team and Woodley is second with 3.5.

• WR Mike Wallace leads the top 50 NFL receivers in yards with a 25.1-yard average after he led all receivers in average as a rookie last season at 19.4.

• QB Byron Leftwich will serve as No. 2 behind Ben Roethlisberger with Charlie Batch No. 3. Leftwich is the only one of four quarterbacks on the team (including Dennis Dixon on IR) that has not played a snap in the regular season.

• LB Larry Foote, a longtime starter who returned in a backup role after one season with the Lions, plays one or two series each game in relief of Lawrence Timmons. Foote has 10 tackles in five games.

Game Plan: Pittsburgh will remain conservative despite having Ben Roethlisberger back, trying to keep a balance between the run and the pass. It’s what has worked for them and also worked in Roethlisberger’s first game back, when he threw only 27 times. On defense, the Steelers will again focus on the run, especially with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams who have 539 yards between them for the Dolphins.

Matchups To Watch: Steelers CB Ike Taylor vs. Dolphins WR Brandon Marshall. Marshall is among the biggest receivers the Steelers will face at 6-4, 230 pounds. Taylor goes 6-2, 195.

Steelers OLB James Harrison vs. Dolphins LT Jake Long. As if two Pro Bowlers clashing wasn’t enough, the spotlight has been on Harrison all week as it is.

Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey vs. Dolphins NT Randy Starks. Pouncey has done well against bigger linemen, and now gets a more athletic one.

Injury Impact: DE Brett Keisel (hamstring) is out for Sunday’s game. Either Nick Eason or Ziggy Hood, a first-round pick in 2009 who has not started a game yet, will replace him on the right side.

• G Trai Essex (ankle) is doing more but is not likely to dress for the fourth straight game as Doug Legursky starts again.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers Team Report

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...s-2010-nfl-pit

UPDATE

Steelers Team Report
    Yahoo! Sports
    44 minutes ago

INSIDE SLANT

James Harrison returned to practice with the Steelers on Thursday after missing Wednesday’s practice over a $75,000 fine levied by the NFL for what the league ruled was an illegal hit Sunday on Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

Harrison did not talk but issued a statement that claims the hit was legal and that he’s not going to allow the league office to prevent him from playing. Thus, he was not going to retire.

“I cannot and will not let the league office stop me from playing the game that I love,” Harrison wrote. “I am all for player safety and I agree that some of the rule changes that have been made are good for the game.

“As far as my situation, I believe the hit against Massaquoi for which I was fined was legal and well within the scope of the rules. [HIGH-LIGHT]I feel the real reason for the fine was the statement I made after the game wherein I said that I try to hurt people, not injure them. In the same sentence I attempted to clarify my meaning.”[/HIGH-LIGHT]

[HIGH-LIGHT]Harrison also claimed that other big hits Sunday combined with widespread media coverage of his hit, which Steelers coach Mike Tomlin also maintains was clean, helped prompt the NFL to fine him.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

“I will not retire from the NFL. I will continue to play the game with the same passion, intensity and focus with which I have always played, and let the chips fall where they may,” Harrison wrote.

Tomlin has not backed down from his statement Sunday that Harrison’s hit was clean, as was another that knocked Joshua Cribbs from that game.

“Legal hits, not fineable hits; he played good football,” Tomlin said. “James is always ready to deliver for his teammates. That’s why they have so much respect for him. He’s a good football player, man. He always delivers timely performances when you need them. Talking to a lot of young players, they want to know the recipe for being a dominant, great player. It’s not only delivering plays but delivering plays at a timely manner, significant plays. And he does that for us for the most part.”

• Several Pittsburgh defensive players warned that there may be more knee injuries as tacklers hit lower because they are worried about getting fined or suspended.

“Guys are going to fear getting a big fine,” linebacker LaMarr Woodley said, “and they’re going to start going for guys’ knees and that’s going to be a serious problem once guys start getting their knees blown out and mess up the way they walk the rest of their lives.”

Said free safety Ryan Clark, himself a target for criticism after some high hits on receivers, “Now where do we go from here? Obviously we don’t want to see guys blowing MCLs and thigh bruises and hip contusions and hip replacements and things like that. So it will still be a touchy subject. You have to find a way to hit these guys within the rules. Obviously hitting a guy low right now is within the rules.”

And they would like to see defensive players protected a little more. Cleveland halfback Peyton Hillis, for example, injured Troy Polamalu when he lowered his head and rammed into him Sunday.

“What’s protecting us?” Farrior asked.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information