Thread: Explanation Needed on the TD/Fumble Call

Threads : 70

Default Explanation Needed on the TD/Fumble Call

I need clarification. Once a ref signals TD or the player is down and the whistle blows, the play should be over. Had the ref not signaled TD, they would have to sort through the pile of players to see who had recovered the ball. Once the call of TD was made, how can there be a continuation of the play? It is a flawed system. Suppose it was clear that either team had recovered the ball. I could be wrong but the ball should still be at the 1/2 yard line because at that point, the ref called the player over.
    Anyone know the EXACT rule?

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Explanation Needed on the TD/Fumble Call

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I need clarification. Once a ref signals TD or the player is down and the whistle blows, the play should be over. Had the ref not signaled TD, they would have to sort through the pile of players to see who had recovered the ball. Once the call of TD was made, how can there be a continuation of the play? It is a flawed system. Suppose it was clear that either team had recovered the ball. I could be wrong but the ball should still be at the 1/2 yard line because at that point, the ref called the player over.
    Anyone know the EXACT rule?

Further, and if I recall correctly and maybe it's changed now*, but didn't the replay system specifically say a few years back that if a play is blown dead (either the runner was ruled "down by contact" or in this case a fumble) that it wasn't able to be challenged?

* Yup.

http://www.steelersfever.com/nfl_history_of_rules.html

Down-by-contact calls can now be reviewed by instant replay to determine if a player fumbled the ball before he was down, and who recovered it. Previously, these plays could not be reversed once officials blew the whistle.
    I guess then I don't know where the answer lies. I mean, a lot of times, as with yesterday, if blown dead, players may stop going for the fumbled ball. Also, we all know that whoever comes out of the pile with the ball isn't always the team that's given possession.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information