Thread: Expanded Playoffs? HERE IS HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER!

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Expanded Playoffs? HERE IS HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER!

Sounds like MLB is planning on expanding the playoffs, and paring down the season to 154 games.... Personally, here's my two bit opinion on how to make baseball fun again.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...shorter-season

The playoffs retain the division, AL/NL CS championship, and world series... but here is where I say baseball has the prime time opportunity to make it really cool. Baseball playoffs start off with a 4 team double elimination wild card tournament.

The division winners get a bye! Automatically make it into the division round. The 4 teams with the next best records get put into a double elimination round robin tournament like what is in the college world series. The winner of each tournament moves on to the divisional round as the official wild card team to play in a 7 game series.

So, if we took this year, 1. Tampa Bay, 3. Texas, 2. Minnesota would have moved on in the AL to the divisional round, while the 1. Yankees, 2. Boston, 3. Chicago and 4. Toronto would be put in the AL double elimination wild card tournament. In the NL 3. Cincy, 1. Philadelphia and 2. San Fran would have been in the divisional round while 1. Atlanta, 2. San Diego, 3. St Louis and 4. Colorado would have moved on in the NL wild card tournament. Colorado, and Toronto would have no chance of playing at home in the round robin tournament since they would be the lowest seeds. The highest seed always gets home field.

Simple format. In this case, Toronto @ NY, Chicago @ Boston, Atlanta @ Colorado, & St Louis @ San Diego. Winners of the game move on to the winners bracket .. losers go on to play a elimination game in the losers bracket, and the loser is out. While the winners face each other in the winners bracket.

This would give more teams a shot at the title, while still preserving that winning your division means something. It would be a win-win for baseball because more cities would be involved, and even the lowly flippin' pirates would have a shot in this every once in a while.

The CBA should also demand that the Yankees are kicked out of the league.

You can thank me for saving baseball.
    Last edited by foslrock; Oct-26-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Expanded Playoffs? HERE IS HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER!

one of my issues with adding more wild card teams, is the effect it could have on the demand of those top of the rung, all-star, ace players that invariable get traded around every year. More demand from more teams drives the cost up. GMs could, and more than likely will, over spend on trades for that ace. Pittsburgh is a prime example of what destruction an unwise GM can wreak on a ball club. i think competitiveness in baseball is at an all time low and putting the pressure on decent mid to low range payrolls with decent enough players to compete for additional wild card spots, could increase the likelyhood of more teams killing themselves in the long run.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Expanded Playoffs? HERE IS HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER!

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like MLB is planning on expanding the playoffs, and paring down the season to 154 games.... Personally, here's my two bit opinion on how to make baseball fun again.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...shorter-season

The playoffs retain the division, AL/NL CS championship, and world series... but here is where I say baseball has the prime time opportunity to make it really cool. Baseball playoffs start off with a 4 team double elimination wild card tournament.

The division winners get a bye! Automatically make it into the division round. The 4 teams with the next best records get put into a double elimination round robin tournament like what is in the college world series. The winner of each tournament moves on to the divisional round as the official wild card team to play in a 7 game series.

So, if we took this year, 1. Tampa Bay, 3. Texas, 2. Minnesota would have moved on in the AL to the divisional round, while the 1. Yankees, 2. Boston, 3. Chicago and 4. Toronto would be put in the AL double elimination wild card tournament. In the NL 3. Cincy, 1. Philadelphia and 2. San Fran would have been in the divisional round while 1. Atlanta, 2. San Diego, 3. St Louis and 4. Colorado would have moved on in the NL wild card tournament. Colorado, and Toronto would have no chance of playing at home in the round robin tournament since they would be the lowest seeds. The highest seed always gets home field.

Simple format. In this case, Toronto @ NY, Chicago @ Boston, Atlanta @ Colorado, & St Louis @ San Diego. Winners of the game move on to the winners bracket .. losers go on to play a elimination game in the losers bracket, and the loser is out. While the winners face each other in the winners bracket.

This would give more teams a shot at the title, while still preserving that winning your division means something. It would be a win-win for baseball because more cities would be involved, and even the lowly flippin' pirates would have a shot in this every once in a while.

The CBA should also demand that the Yankees are kicked out of the league.

You can thank me for saving baseball.
    I'm all for it except that I wouldn't expand the series games. I'd keep them at 5 for the first rounds.

I also have been a supported of adding more Doubleheaders into the schedules.

I like the idea though. I'd be very surprised to see the MLBPA go for everything, but more competition would do baseball good.

All for kicking out the Yanks

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    one of my issues with adding more wild card teams, is the effect it could have on the demand of those top of the rung, all-star, ace players that invariable get traded around every year. More demand from more teams drives the cost up. GMs could, and more than likely will, over spend on trades for that ace. Pittsburgh is a prime example of what destruction an unwise GM can wreak on a ball club. i think competitiveness in baseball is at an all time low and putting the pressure on decent mid to low range payrolls with decent enough players to compete for additional wild card spots, could increase the likelyhood of more teams killing themselves in the long run.
    You know, that's a pretty interesting look or angle I wouldn't have looked at. BUt... poor management and good management is part of sports. It can kill and cripple small market teams like the Pirates but there are other teams with higher payrolls that stink too because of poor management (Seattle Mariners for example) ...

Remember that in most cases you're making a trade or able to because you have the prospects available and a deeper system to do it. Drafting and developing still is and always will be (unless we see a salary cap) going to be the foundation and blood line for most small-mid market teams.

I'd be intrigued to see how this would work out but in general I'd like to see more playoffs or more teams make the playoffs. So few make it and MLB is really lacking in parity/competitiveness from a fairness standpoint that this would simply give more teams a chance instead of watching perennial large market teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies make it
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information