Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ND Student Dies

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default ND Student Dies

I'll probably get some flack for my opinion, but here it goes...

Everyone connected to the Notre Dame football program should be ashamed of themselves.

Someone decided to hold practice while winds howled outside... Someone decided it was a brilliant idea to allow a 20 year-old kid to climb a tower and film practice as the winds howled... As players practiced with God only knows how many coaches, trainers, and support staff members watchin, Declan Sullivan, probably too scared to say ****, stood there terrified, doing his job.

And not one person decided to make him come down. And because of that, Declan Sullivan died...

I can't imagine how frightened this kid was in his final moments, with the winds blowing and the tower wobbling. I can't imagine how much he wanted to climb down... I can't imagine what he feared the repercussions for doing so might have been. And I can't imagine how an army of adults, paid tons of money to care for students, didn't even think twice about letting him climb that tower... It is unfathomable that no one thought to make him come down. It is inexcusable.

If Brian Kelly neglected a player's health for the sake of winning a game, there would be screams for his head... Instead, he neglected a video staff member's safety and compromised his life solely for the sake of....what? I'm sure Kelly feels awful. He should. He should feel a lot of things... Embarrassment is one. Shame is another. He should share the shame and embarrassment with every member of the Notre Dame coaching and support staff.

There is nothing more inexcusable than negligence, especially when one's life hangs in the balance. I don't see how the people responsible for Declan Sullivan's safety can look themselves in the mirror...

Student dies in video tower collapse
    ESPN.com news services
    October 28, 2010

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- A Notre Dame student died Wednesday after the tower from which he was filming football practice fell over.

Declan Sullivan, a 20-year-old junior from Long Grove, Ill., was transported from the LaBar practice complex to a South Bend hospital, where he died.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to Declan's family and friends," coach Brian Kelly said in a release. "Declan was a diligent student worker in our video department and had a tremendous personality and great sense of humor. He brightened the days for all that had the privilege to work with him, and the Notre Dame football family will dearly miss him."

Authorities were investigating the incident. The hydraulic scissor lift, which can be lowered or raised depending on needs, stretched across a nearby street. According to one report, the tower stood about 50 feet above the ground.

Winds in the area were gusting to 51 mph at the time, according to the National Weather Service, and the team practiced indoors Tuesday because of the blustery conditions.

Sullivan indicated via his Twitter account that he was in a dangerous predicament. According to a report from WTSB in South Bend, Sullivan posted the following tweet at 3:22 p.m. ET, just as practice was beginning: "Gusts of wind up to 60 mph. Well today will be fun at work. I guess I've lived long enough."

Then, at 4:06 p.m. according to the station, Sullivan posted another tweet: "Holy (blank). Holy (blank). This is terrifying."

Notre Dame was making grief counselors available for students, and university president Rev. John Jenkins will preside over a special Mass in Sullivan's memory on Thursday at 10 p.m. ET.

"We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss," Jenkins said. "Our hearts go out to the student's family and friends and our prayers and profound sympathies are with them during this incredibly difficult time. The loss of someone so young is a terrible shock and a great sadness. Our entire community shares in the family's grief."

The Fighting Irish, who host Tulsa this Saturday, canceled post-practice interviews after the accident.

"In the midst of a season where you are disappointed with the outcomes ... you can lose sight of what's most important. Sad day at practice," senior linebacker Brian Smith posted on his Twitter page. "I will never forget today."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5734494
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ND Student Dies

Unfortunately, whatever sanctions or charges that will be brought against the school will nor bring this boy back, nor will it bring common sense to those who should have said in the first place, "Wait a minute - this really isn't a good idea today."
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To film a PRACTICE! ...Ridiculous!!!

Threads : 150

There is some majorly serious negligence in this situation on the part of the ND staff etc.

This will end up being, rightfully so, a lawsuit reward for the kid's family.

A terrible situation that should never have happened.

Threads : 94

I will come to the defense of Notre Dame in this seemingly indefensible tragedy First I don't believe Kelly or anyone involved in the program realized the possible consequences of the situation. I’m guessing the coaching staff had tunnel vision on the up coming game and again the reality escaped them. When the team practices someone goes up and films. It’s done every day by every college football program in the country. Video crews routinely go up in these lifts in high winds that‘s not unusual ....but 50 MPH winds that seems a bit extreme. It’s hard to believe there was any fore thought or malice involved in in this tragic event. It was just a stupid, tragic, preventable accident. I am going to reserve any judgment until I read the transcript of the Notre Dame AD's press conference today and more importantly the official investigation report.

One last thing one doesn't climb a scissor lift, you climb in and are lifted up by hydraulics. Does anyone know the wind tolerance of one these machines? A critical question I would imagine. As history has shown us it takes a tragedy of this magnitude for unsafe practices to come to light. Obviously this practice will immediately cease throughout the country but it’s a darn shame a life had to be lost.
    Last edited by PittFaninVa; Oct-28-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will come to the defense of Notre Dame in this seemingly indefensible tragedy First I don't believe Kelly or anyone involved in the program realized [HIGH-LIGHT]the possible consequences of the situation.[/HIGH-LIGHT] [HIGH-LIGHT]I’m guessing the coaching staff had tunnel vision on the up coming game and again the reality escaped them.[/HIGH-LIGHT] When the team practices someone goes up and films. It’s done every day by every college football program in the country. Video crews routinely go up in these lifts in high winds that‘s not unusual ....[HIGH-LIGHT]but 50 MPH winds that seems a bit extreme.[/HIGH-LIGHT] It’s hard to believe there was any fore thought or malice involved in in this tragic event. It was just a stupid, tragic, preventable accident. I am going to reserve any judgment until I read the transcript of the Notre Dame AD's press conference today and more importantly the official investigation report.

One last thing one doesn't climb a scissor lift, you climb in and are lifted up by hydraulics. Does anyone know the wind tolerance of one these machines? A critical question I would imagine. As history has shown us it takes a tragedy of this magnitude for unsafe practices to come to light. Obviously this practice will immediately cease throughout the country but it’s a darn shame a life had to be lost.

Those highlighted lines all lead to negligence on behalf of the ND staff though.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/n010.htm

I'm pretty sure that ND will settle with the family for some sort of monetary amount.

As a random analogy, it's no different than if a college golf team were ordered to stay out and finish their round during the course of a lightning storm. If one of them would be struck and killed by lightning, then the school would be found negligent for putting them in that avoidable situation.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    Those highlighted lines all lead to negligence on behalf of the ND staff though.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/n010.htm

I'm pretty sure that ND will settle with the family for some sort of monetary amount.

As a random analogy, it's no different than if a college golf team were ordered to stay out and finish their round during the course of a lightning storm. If one of them would be struck and killed by lightning, then the school would be found negligent for putting them in that avoidable situation.

I am sure ND will be found negligent and absolutely positive there will be a monetary settlement by the university but that doesn’t change the fact in still was an accident. There are so many parts of this tragedy that are not known right now so any speculation without the facts is pointless.

I am sure ND will be found negligent and absolutely positive there will be a monetary settlement by the university but that doesn’t change the fact in still was an accident. There are so many parts of this tragedy that are not known right now so any speculation without the facts is pointless.
    I agree, of course it was an accident. Nobody did anything on purpose.

But for legality, it's negligence.

It's just like a malpractice lawsuit. It's not like a doctor purposely hurt someone, but they can still be sued for negligence for an accident.

In this case though, it's just a needless tragedy.

Accident... Yes.

Negligent... Yes.

Avoidable... Yes.

Not sure where you all are located, and what sort of weather you got from this latest front, but Ohio, Indiana, Michigan all had weather alerts posted for winds. National media covered the strong conditions. Everyone and their mother knew what was going on with the winds... Hell, they were so strong that the Weather Channel had video of people surfing on the lake from the wind-whipped waves... Everyone was aware of the abnormal conditions.

It was stupidity, plain and simple.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    I agree, of course it was an accident. Nobody did anything on purpose.

But for legality, it's negligence.

It's just like a malpractice lawsuit. It's not like a doctor purposely hurt someone, but they can still be sued for negligence for an accident.

[HIGH-LIGHT]In this case though, it's just a needless tragedy[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    Sad and true.....

According to reports winds were gusting up to 51 mph not sustained winds.
    OK, so he only stood a chance of falling off every so often when a gust came through... There were high wind warnings/advisories posted, and that's enough of a reason not to do it.... Whether it was gusting or sustained, it doesn't matter.

... We all know it wasn't smart.

Please post some of the AD's comments from that PC you mentioned earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Accident... Yes.

Negligent... Yes.

Avoidable... Yes.

Not sure where you all are located, and what sort of weather you got from this latest front, but Ohio, Indiana, Michigan all had weather alerts posted for winds. National media covered the strong conditions. Everyone and their mother knew what was going on with the winds... Hell, they were so strong that the Weather Channel had video of people surfing on the lake from the wind-whipped waves... Everyone was aware of the abnormal conditions.

It was stupidity, plain and simple.
    According to reports winds were gusting up to 51 mph not sustained winds. I live in Northern Virginia. We were supposed to get the high winds but ended up with no wind at all. So much for weather reports.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    OK, so he only stood a chance of falling off every so often when a gust came through... There were high wind warnings/advisories posted, and that's enough of a reason not to do it.... Whether it was gusting or sustained, it doesn't matter.

... We all know it wasn't smart.

Please post some of the AD's comments from that PC you mentioned earlier...
    According to Swarbrick this kid wasn't the only person up in a lift.

Also according to Swarbrick Notre Dame Security Police, the Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration and an accident reconstruction firm are investigating.

These professionals will unearth the facts but in the meantime the public will have to wait to get out their pitchforks.

in the meantime the public will have to wait to get out their pitchforks.
    Nah... I'll beat the rush and start early...

I will ask, though... Why in the world was the kid tweeting while up there???...

Sullivan indicated via his Twitter account that he was in a dangerous predicament. According to a report from WTSB in South Bend, Sullivan posted the following tweet at 3:22 p.m. ET, just as practice was beginning: "Gusts of wind up to 60 mph. Well today will be fun at work. I guess I've lived long enough."

Then, at 4:06 p.m. according to the station, Sullivan posted another tweet: "Holy (blank). Holy (blank). This is terrifying."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information