Thread: Defense is still Curtains for opponents

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Defense is still Curtains for opponents

I'm not in complete agreement with the tone of this article, as I am really down on our pass coverage... But I'm an "equal opportunity" poster...

Defense is still Curtains for opponents
    By: Mike Bires
    Beaver County Times
    Wednesday October 27, 2010

PITTSBURGH — Dick LeBeau couldn't believe his ears. He was almost shocked that a reporter would question the Steelers’ pass defense.

Specifically, LeBeau was asked about opposing quarterbacks completing 66.2 percent of their passes against the Steelers.

“I think if you’d check, we lead the National Football League in fewest points allowed,” the Steelers’ defensive coordinator said succinctly.

That is all LeBeau needed to say.

[IMGL]http://i53.tinypic.com/289eq12.jpg[/IMGL]The Steelers rank 24th in passing defense (235.7 ypg), and they have allowed two-thirds of the passes thrown against to be completed. But they also rank No. 1 in fewest points per game (13.7) and fewest touchdowns allowed (six).

So those pass defense statistics don’t come close to telling the whole story about the Steelers’ defense which ranks fourth in total yards allowed.

“All that means is that the Steelers have been ahead in most of their games and that teams can’t run against them,” said New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees, who’ll face the Steelers at 8:20 p.m. Sunday in the Louisiana Superdome. “In reality, they’re good all the way around on defense.”

The Steelers agree.

They take great pride in leading the NFL in fewest rushing yards per game (63.7). And they take exception that their pass defense has been considered sub-par.

“The only thing you can read into (those stats) is that it’s almost impossible to run the ball against us,” cornerback Bryant McFadden said. “We pride ourselves in stopping the run first and foremost with all 11 guys. So of course we’re seeing more passes. You can’t run against us. You don’t want to try run against us. So you try to throw the ball against us.

“We can’t get caught up in the numbers as some people do. We just have to play football. At the end of the day, the best stat I’d want is fewest points allowed. That’s the most important statistic, and right now we’re doing a good job keeping teams off the scoreboard.”

On Sunday night, it figures to be more of the same for the Steelers’ defense. Brees leads the NFL in passing attempts (287) and completion percentage (.697). He’s tied for first in touchdown passes (14). As a team, the Saints rank 26th in rushing (94.8) and fifth in passing (279.3).

So Brees will be winging it against the Steelers.

“It will be big challenge for our defense, especially us guys in the secondary,” cornerback Ike Taylor said.

But it’s a challenge that doesn’t scare Taylor and his fellow defensive backs.

“It’s a 5-1 thing,” strong safety Troy Polamlau said. “It’s always been about stopping the run and not giving up big plays in the secondary. That strategy isn’t going to change in any defense we call. That’s been our philosophy since I’ve been here. It works.”

“I’m not overly concerned with stats,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “When people are behind and they can’t run the football, they are going to throw the football on you, and they’re probably going to pick up yards.

“The thing that’s most exciting is that we don’t allow people to score touchdowns. We lead the league in scoring defense. Even in the red areas we make people kick field goals. To me that’s a formula for winning defense. I’m less concerned about what stats may potentially tell us. We all know in many instances they lie.”

In other words, it’s too early to be bashing the Steelers’ pass defense.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...opponents.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Default Re: Defense is still Curtains for opponents

I hope our secondary is hearing all the disrespect they are getting and come to play Sunday. Shutting down Brees will be a step in the right direction toward getting some respect back.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope our secondary is hearing all the disrespect they are getting and come to play Sunday. Shutting down Brees will be a step in the right direction toward getting some respect back.
    Yup... We can follow in Cleveland's footsteps...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Yup... We can follow in Cleveland's footsteps...
    Well they did put a "blueprint" together on how to beat the Saints. Those Ryan boys are something else when it comes to building defenses.

Threads : 49

Just to play Devil's advocate but 4 of the 6 teams the Steelers have faced so far are in the bottom half in scoring in the NFL.

Also, I think the high completion percentage of opposing QB's is a potentially major problem in close games (which are pretty much most of the Steelers games it seems like). Lebeau's bend but don't break pass defense works at times but if an opposing offense needs just 3 to win or tie a game in the 4th, that could be a problem (which is what happened last year numerous times and this year against the Ravens).

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    Just to play Devil's advocate but 4 of the 6 teams the Steelers have faced so far are in the bottom half in scoring in the NFL.

Also, I think the high completion percentage of opposing QB's is a potentially major problem in close games (which are pretty much most of the Steelers games it seems like). Lebeau's bend but don't break pass defense works at times but if an opposing offense needs just 3 to win or tie a game in the 4th, that could be a problem (which is what happened last year numerous times and this year against the Ravens).
    on the saints report.com there using words like carve em up and destroy!im not sure i've seen the steelers destroyed in a long time

Threads : 9

How does our secondary with Troy this year compare to last year without him?
    "The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    on the saints report.com there using words like carve em up and destroy!im not sure i've seen the steelers destroyed in a long time
    Pretty tough words for a team that got carved up and destroyed by a bad Browns team less than a week ago.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information