Thread: Freddy Sanchex Ups with the Giants

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Freddy Sanchex Ups with the Giants

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/index?

2 years, $12 million

About $2 million per year more than the Pirates 2/$10 million offer.

sorry but that's some overpayment for a guy that's becoming more injury prone and is 32 years old past his prime. I felt the Pirates offer was overpayment

Threads : 197

Default Re: Freddy Sanchex Ups with the Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/index?

2 years, $12 million

About $2 million per year more than the Pirates 2/$10 million offer.
    Math check:
    $12-$10=$2
    $2/2 years=$1/year.

Not quite as bad as the deals Sabean gave Renteria, Rowand, and especially Barry Zito. Somehow that guy got a contract extension this year.

Sanchez actually pulled the reverse Adam LaRoche this year and did all of his hitting in April and May. Even in May he only really hit for the final week. He's had 6 or 7 good weeks in the last 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back with a good year, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't hit at all the next 2 years.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When he's healthy he hits...the problem is that he's been too unhealthy to be as productive as he needs to be/can be.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 94

Default Freddy Sanchez re ups with SF

2 years 12 mil.....

Threads : 94

Default Re: Freddy Sanchez re ups with SF

Kipper please delete this thread I didn't see that this subject was already posted in another area......Sorry

Default Re: Freddy Sanchez re ups with SF

No biggie. I wasn't sure where to put it either. I debated with myself on whether to put it here myself

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    When he's healthy he hits...the problem is that he's been too unhealthy to be as productive as he needs to be/can be.
    ...and that's the problem and that's something that anyone that *****ed about the trade of Freddy or the Pirates only offering $5 million per year don't understand...

Freddy is going to be 32 years old before the 2010 season starts. Freddy has never been an athletic prodigy, he was born with the whatever feet/ankles, not really a buff guy and he's slowly be spending more and more time on the DL. I mean, he had a chance to cash in on a big time option last year and he couldn't stay healthy enough to do it.

You're right, when he is healthy, he can hit, he can play but at his age, I don't see him staying healthy enough over the course of a year to justify the money he is getting. It's just poor return on the value IMO. He could get lucky and have an injury free year like Jnn suggested, he could end up like Xavier Nady or Jack Wilson and miss 1/3 of a season. Even if the worst case scenerio is missing a 1/3 of a season, that's too many games that you are having to rely on a bench guy and too many games to be paying someone $6 million per year IMO.

Just very very high risk for the Giants. I'm glad Freddy turned down the Pirates offer, not because I don't like Freddy but because the Pirates need to get away from overpaying guys past their prime with big risks

Threads : 691

Well good for him. That's an example of why the Pirates are going to have a hard time ever competing under the current system. There is some team that is always going to over pay for players.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Well good for him. That's an example of why the Pirates are going to have a hard time ever competing under the current system. There is some team that is always going to over pay for players.
    Yeah. The general reaction seems to be "they overpaid, but who cares?" $6 million makes very little difference to a team like the Giants, and even they often can't compete for the real high profile free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Yeah. The general reaction seems to be "they overpaid, but who cares?" $6 million makes very little difference to a team like the Giants, and even they often can't compete for the real high profile free agents.
    Building through FA isn't the best move anyways...unless you're the yankees and just absolutely buy EVERYONE.

Still not a smart way...but its the Yankees only way it seems.

I do agree, though, that the Pirates will struggle b/c 6 million is a lot to this ball club--whether we're talking about a player that has been injured a lot or not--and the Giants kidna threw it out there like..."ok whatever"...it needs to change. But the Giants have struggled...I wonder if they will bring in JW next.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Sanchez gets more than Pirates offered, but . . .

By Bob Smizik | Saturday 1:40 p.m.

Count me among those who were wrong about Freddy Sanchez. I did not expect him to get more money than the $10 million over two years the Pirates offered him in July. I thought it was a fair offer and Sanchez rejected it because he didn’t want to stay in Pittsburgh.

Turns out, he did get more, but I’m not so sure it proves the Pirates wrong.

Sanchez signed a two-year, $12 million contract Friday with the San Francisco Giants, the team to whom the Pirates traded him in July. Those terms don’t make the Pirates offer look ``embarrassing,’’ as many bellowed at the time the offer was made. The deal makes the Pirates’ offer look realistic but a little low.

But it’s not all that simple. We’ll never know what Sanchez would have received on the open market and we do know the Giants had reason to get him under contract and perhaps at above market value.

The Giants gave up a prized prospect in starting pitcher Tim Alderson to get Sanchez. Had they lost Sanchez in free agency, after failing to make the playoffs with him, it would have looked like they gave up Alderson for nothing. Now they have Sanchez, who is best known for his offense but whose offense is in decline.

Among the 16 National League second basemen with more than 350 plate appearances, Sanchez was fifth in batting average, 11th in on-base percentage, ninth in slugging percentage.

When the Pirates traded Sanchez, they were in last place, which is where they finished with him in 2008 and 2007. He was going to be a free agent after the 2010 season, a year in which the Pirates again would surely finish last.

Call me a ``Bob Nutting apologist,’’ as someone on this site did today, but the Pirates made the right move in trading Sanchez.
    http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...k/default.aspx
    Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information