Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This The End?!...

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Is This The End?!...

Sorry to lure you in with a "doom & gloom" title, but the most absolute strangest thing happened this morning... The sun still came up!...

We were not going to go 15-1, and I venture to guess that we'll lose again this season... Last night was just not our night.

There was plenty to be aggravated about, in my opinion... I think the playcalling was horrid... Yea, it's been the "in" thing to complain about, but the creativity was definitely missing last night. The goal line series still leaves me completely befuddled... I will refrain from repeating myself about the distain I have for Ray Horton, but the secondary missed a golden opportunity to shut-up people like me that are skeptical... As for Miller's fumble, well, that happens sometimes. Heath has basically been a model of consistency for us, and the look on his face as the clock ticked away said volumes to me.

Let's look at some of our numbers so far this season from both sides of the ball...

Our Offensive Stats Against Opponent

Opponent Stats Against Our Defense

... Now, all things considered, I do not notice any glaring comparisons to our losses vs our wins... And I didn't notice anything on other stats I viewed either... Some people tend to look at TOP, and while we lost that category in both games, we also lost it to Tampa Bay.

Our passing production was low in both losses, but only one of those was with Ben.

So while a loss always stings, I simply think it's just the way it goes sometimes. A crutial turnover here or there, or a wayward bounce could determine the game even if our "stats" are fairly acceptable or consistent with previous games... I will continue to complain about our secondary's pass coverage, but the numbers last night were fairly similar to the Tampa Bay and Cleveland games, even though the scoreboard painted a much different picture...

Another thing of interest may be the punting production... Even though we're averaging about 5 more yds per punt, the accuracy inside the 20 instead of a touchback seems to be a little off this season...

So while this loss hurts, we still have to keep looking forward because with New England, Baltimore, and the Jets still out in front of us, we can control our own destiny...

... And the sun will continue to come up, Steeler Nation...
    Last edited by Kipper; Oct-09-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Default Re: Is This The End?!...

and the dangerous raiders! i wish i was totally joking

Threads : 150

Good article.

One play, of many last night, that really chapped my ***, was on 3rd and 8, when the Saints were driving for that eventual winning TD. A stop there and we hold them to a FG attempt. But on 3rd and 8, we drop back into our, often times, way too soft zone coverage further than usual. Everyone underneath dropped back about 15 yards. By the time they came up to make the stop the WR had reached the sticks.

I wanted to throw my Buffalo Chicken Dip through my tv on that one.

Threads : 691

Good article. I myself,try to keep things on an even keel. I try not to get too excited when things are going well,and not get too down when they are not. Eveyone is different when it comes to the type of fan they are,but I have to say,some are almost bi-polar when it comes to the Steelers
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

I just hope to hell that we beat Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just hope to hell that we beat Cincinnati
    So do I... Life around here is miserable when we don't...

... Speaking of Cincy, here's a good representation of the attitude right now....

As Chad Henne took one final knee this afternoon at Paul Brown Stadium, I didn't boo, didn't throw anything on the field, didn't start screaming obscenities.

As the players exchanged complicated handshake hugs and made plans to connect somewhere down the road, I didn't express anger. I didn't throw a temper tantrum. I didn't punch my seat.

As Carson Palmer jogged off the field after having thrown another game-clinching interception, I didn't yell at him. As the defensive players who spent the day not coming close to touching the opposing passer headed to the locker room, I didn't express any frustration toward them. As Marvin Lewis made his way toward his postgame responsibilities, I didn't even think about yet again his team looked like it was playing with a contagious hangover. I didn't feel the need to go over my disgust with more end of half clock wizardry or the lack of urgency as my men drove for a potential game-tying score.

As a winless October came to a close, I didn't feel the need to rehash the wrong routes being run, or more incompletions being thrown, or the six play/98 yard death march to a fourth straight loss allowed by a vastly overrated defense.

I didn't get mad, I didn't get angry, didn't feel like throwing anything, didn't fight off the urge to jump off the upper deck, I didn't do anything other than shrug my shoulders and calmly ask my wife if she wanted to go get a bowl of chili.

The only thing worse than feeling pain is feeling numb. The only thing worse than worse than anger is apathy.

The overdue realizations that these guys just really aren't that good, that there will be no playoff appearance this year, and that the expectations we had for the Bengals were insanely too high brings about the absolute worst set of emotions any sports fan can feel....

After 2-5, after 22-14, and after seven games into the most disappointing season in the history of Cincinnati pro sports, I feel nothing other than apathetic numbness.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

... Just another reinteration about the Heath Miller fumble...

Since he was drafted in '05, he has caught 261 passes and only fumbled twice... His last fumble was on December 7, 2008...

... He gets a mulligan from me on this one...

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post

Since he was drafted in '05, he has caught 261 passes and only fumbled twice... His last fumble was on December 7, 2008...

Me too. Sometimes the ball pops out like that when you are doing nothing wrong. Sometime you have to credit the bad guys.

Agree with the sentiment of the OP overall. I know the team has flaws. What team doesn't? It's not a sprint to the Super Bowl. I for one am disappointed but as T would say the standard of expectation does no change lol.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post

True,**** does happen and I'm over it and have forgiven Heath for the fumble.That still does not absolve him from blame however.

A lot of times, stats don't tell the whole story.

One thing that I think will improve our ability to win is if we can get more out of the passing game. When Ben was suspended, we were doing a lot more with the short, underneath passes that gobbled up 5 and 10 yards at a time. How come we aren't doing that now? Other than the obvious answer: that BA couldn't **** with his pants on fire, it's a strategy that can eat time and keep the D fresh.

BA has this delusion that we need to go long to have an effective passing game. That's bull ****! We need to own TOP. Even in '08, when we won the SB despite the game plan on O, we managed to keep our O on the field long enough to wear out the opposing D. This year we have lost time of possession 3 times, including both losses. We have won all 4 games that we had the TOP edge and won one w/o it.

Long story short, we don't necessarily need to have TOP to win. But the odds of failure increase w/o it. We need to get our O into ball control mode. We'll gain more yards and drain their D faster if we aren't constantly going for the quick strike that BA seems to be jerking off over every game.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy View Post
    A lot of times, stats don't tell the whole story.

One thing that I think will improve our ability to win is if we can get more out of the passing game. When Ben was suspended, we were doing a lot more with the short, underneath passes that gobbled up 5 and 10 yards at a time. How come we aren't doing that now? Other than the obvious answer: that BA couldn't **** with his pants on fire, it's a strategy that can eat time and keep the D fresh.

BA has this delusion that we need to go long to have an effective passing game. That's bull ****! We need to own TOP. Even in '08, when we won the SB despite the game plan on O, we managed to keep our O on the field long enough to wear out the opposing D. This year we have lost time of possession 3 times, including both losses. We have won all 4 games that we had the TOP edge and won one w/o it.

Long story short, we don't necessarily need to have TOP to win. But the odds of failure increase w/o it. We need to get our O into ball control mode. We'll gain more yards and drain their D faster if we aren't constantly going for the quick strike that BA seems to be jerking off over every game.
    The short stuff will make everything else work. Look what happened when they broke out the no huddle, completed everything then bam off goes Mendy after being infective all day. I really think they are going to need to pass to set up the run. The run to set up the pass is just not panning out imo.

Threads : 407

gloom and doom...no...no way...not yet...not unless they totally screw up like last year and drop 5 in a row.

I've said all year and still hold to it...I look at the season in quarters......go 3-1 in all 4.....12-4...will take that every year. Just have to win now next week to keep them on my schedule....6-2.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    gloom and doom...no...no way...not yet...not unless they totally screw up like last year and drop 5 in a row.

I've said all year and still hold to it...I look at the season in quarters......go 3-1 in all 4.....12-4...will take that every year. Just have to win now next week to keep them on my schedule....6-2.
    I agree with that completely. They went 3-1 in the 1st quarter, the 2nd quarter they are currently 2-1 with the Bengals, and the third quarter has Patriots, Raiders, Bills, Baltimore (tougher quarter, but can go 3-1 here), then they finish out in the 4th quarter of the season with (Cincy, NY, Carolina, and Cleveland).

They are more than fine looking at that. I think a 12-4 season is more than plausible at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    The short stuff will make everything else work. Look what happened when they broke out the no huddle, completed everything then bam off goes Mendy after being infective all day. I really think they are going to need to pass to set up the run. The run to set up the pass is just not panning out imo.
    And it hasn't worked for a while, Beez. Teams know when we are going to run. Throwing a screen pass on 1st down isn't a bad thing when it is executed correctly. Running after the catch isn't a bad thing either. A run on 2d after a 1st down screen isn't a bad follow up. When we go up-tempo with the O, that combo frequently results in 1st downs, moves the ball and kills the clock.

But, to *** nuggets like BA, a drive that takes longer than 2 minutes is a waste of time and a play of shorter than 20 yards isn't worth running, even if it gets your QB ****ing killed.

We can and will succeed because we do have the talent to do so. Problem is: we have dick-cheese like BA who play this high-risk, high-reward bull **** that has a lower success rating than a third-party Presidential candidate.

We can keep things simple, get rich slow, gain a few yards at a time for about a dozen plays resulting in a TD... and watch BA turn into a pillar of salt in the process while we march to the Super Bowl for the eighth time. That would be satisfying!
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 22

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Me too. Sometimes the ball pops out like that when you are doing nothing wrong. [HIGH-LIGHT]Sometime you have to credit the bad guys. [/HIGH-LIGHT]

Agree with the sentiment of the OP overall. I know the team has flaws. What team doesn't? It's not a sprint to the Super Bowl. I for one am disappointed but as T would say the standard of expectation does no change lol.
    Exactly. If one of the Steelers had popped a ball loose, naturally pittsburgh fans would be celebrating what a great defensive play it was.

Plays like that are always good or bad depending on what side of the ball you are on.

Ben is an idiot when he throws an INT, but if Troy or Ike pick one off, they are automatically a genius for reading the QB so well. I guess no one else in the league can get the credit ... we can only dish out the blame.

Sometimes - **** happens. Cliche - I know.

But the other teams get paid to play too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information