Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

      
  1. #1
    hawaiiansteeler's Avatar
    Status : hawaiiansteeler is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Apr 7, 2010
    Posts : 2,614
    Threads : 440
    Last Online : Nov-04-2012 @ 09:47 PM

    Default Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Harris must have been in a hurry to meet a deadline and didn't have a chance to proof-read...


    Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    By John Harris

    PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, November 1, 2010


    NEW ORLEANS - If is isn't broken, don't fix it.

    That's been Mike Tomlin's motto in his four years as Steelers coach.

    Tomlin boasts a style all his own without having a so-callled "system." He's a coach for all seasons who's smart enough to know a good thing when he sees one.

    Sunday night, the Steelers squared off against the defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints in the Superdome. It was another big game for Tomlin, who entered last night's contest having won twice as many games as he's lost (36-18).

    Tomlin isn't a resident genius like New Orelans coach Sean Payton, who wants us to know how smart he is. He isn't impulsive like Denver's Josh McDaniels, another young coach. He isn't a friend like Dallas' Wade Phillips, who allowed his players to walk all over him.

    If Tomlin has an ego, I haven't seen it.

    He was asked not to mess up a good thing. The Steelers' "system" was already in place long before he arrived in Pittsburgh. So far, Tomlin has done that.

    The Steelers faced the Saints with Nick Eason and Ziggy Hood starting at defensive end, and it may as well have been Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel out there. The Saints couldn't run the ball in the first half. Heck, the Saints barely tried (six carries for 15 yards). At halftime, quarterback Drew Brees had a 57.8 passer rating.

    Trailing 6-3 at the 8:24 mark in the third quarter, the Steelers actually gained momentum despite falling behind for the first time. The Saints' offense was on the verge of taking control against the Steelers' defense, but the Saints went from first and goal at the 3 to fourth and goal at the 5.

    Tomlin, of course, wasn't satisfied with the Steelers defensive stand. He could see like the rest of us his defense needed to have a 2008 flashback last night because his offense was stuck in park. After three quarters, the Steelers had amassed -- this is not a typographical error -- 149 total yards.

    Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger played by far his most ineffective game since returning from a four-game suspension. He was under siege from New Orelans' pass rush, and it showed in the way he got rid of the ball quickly and underthrew receivers.

    The passing game was out of sync. More than once following an incompletion, Roethlisberger gestured downfield to indicate he and the intended receiver weren't on the same page.

    But that's the beauty of Tomlin's Steelers. They're resourceful and supremely confident. The Steelers never believe they're out of a game.

    After carrying the offense for three quarters, the Steelers' defense finally got some help.

    Trailing 13-3, the Steelers made it 13-10 on Rashard Mendenhall's long touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

    And then the Steelers defense, on the verge of giving up more points, forced a Brees' fumble and gave their defense a chance to win the game.

    Back and forth it went. Normally reliable tight end Heath Miller lost a fumble after a 25-yard reception as New Orleans grabbed back the momentum.

    New Orelans was playing desperate following an upset loss to Cleveland a week earlier. The Steelers play desperate every week. It's what separates the Steelers from other teams. They play every game like their entire season depends on it.

    Sometimes it doesn't work out the way Tomlin wants. The Steelers are an imperfect team attempting to play a perfect game. Last night was one of those nights. Next Monday night against Cincinnati, they'll lace it up and do it all over again.

    John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_707099.html
    Last edited by hawaiiansteeler; Nov-01-2010 at 04:16 PM.

  2. #2
    rockcr's Avatar
    Status : rockcr is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Nov 23, 2009
    Location : rockford,il
    Posts : 1,015
    Threads : 52
    Last Online : Oct-03-2015 @ 09:45 AM
    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    what didn't you like? ^

  3. #3
    LasVegasGuy's Avatar
    Status : LasVegasGuy is offline
    Rank : Banned
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Living on the Sun, Nevada
    Posts : 2,076
    Threads : 60
    Last Online : Jan-05-2012 @ 12:19 PM

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Tomlin can suck the praise from my dick.

  4. #4
    hawaiiansteeler's Avatar
    Status : hawaiiansteeler is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Apr 7, 2010
    Posts : 2,614
    Threads : 440
    Last Online : Nov-04-2012 @ 09:47 PM

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what didn't you like? ^

    several grammatical/spelling errors:

    1) If is isn't broken (If it isn't broken)

    2) And then the Steelers defense, on the verge of giving up more points, forced a Brees' fumble and gave their defense a chance to win the game. ) should have been "offense"

    3)New Orelans (New Orleans)

  5. #5
    rockcr's Avatar
    Status : rockcr is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Nov 23, 2009
    Location : rockford,il
    Posts : 1,015
    Threads : 52
    Last Online : Oct-03-2015 @ 09:45 AM
    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tomlin can suck the praise from my dick.
    hard to believe you would say this-BTW do you consider shanahan a good coach? rex grossman for mcnabb whats up with that?

  6. #6
    LasVegasGuy's Avatar
    Status : LasVegasGuy is offline
    Rank : Banned
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Living on the Sun, Nevada
    Posts : 2,076
    Threads : 60
    Last Online : Jan-05-2012 @ 12:19 PM

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hard to believe you would say this-BTW do you consider shanahan a good coach? rex grossman for mcnabb whats up with that?
    Right or wrong you have to admire Shanny's guts for benching a vet that clearly wasn't on his game yesterday. Now if only our coach would grow a sack and make some head coaching decisions once in awhile.
    Last edited by LasVegasGuy; Nov-01-2010 at 05:22 PM.

  7. #7
    rockcr's Avatar
    Status : rockcr is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Nov 23, 2009
    Location : rockford,il
    Posts : 1,015
    Threads : 52
    Last Online : Oct-03-2015 @ 09:45 AM
    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right or wrong you have to admire Shanny's guts for benching a vet that clearly wasn't on his game yesterday. Now if only our coach would grow a sack and make some head coaching decisions once in awhile.
    for rexy grossman? shanhan brought mcnabb in! you sure if tomlin were to do something like that you would praise him???

  8. #8
    LasVegasGuy's Avatar
    Status : LasVegasGuy is offline
    Rank : Banned
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Living on the Sun, Nevada
    Posts : 2,076
    Threads : 60
    Last Online : Jan-05-2012 @ 12:19 PM

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    for rexy grossman? shanhan brought mcnabb in! you sure if tomlin were to do something like that you would praise him???
    Rexy for Mcnabb was dumb but that didn't stop him from making the move anyway. Can you think of one time in Tomlin's career here that he made a questionable move based on performance. I can't.

  9. #9
    foslrock's Avatar
    Status : foslrock is offline
    Rank : 1st Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 18, 2009
    Location : Tennessee
    Posts : 1,784
    Threads : 140
    Last Online : Jun-15-2015 @ 07:24 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    for rexy grossman? shanhan brought mcnabb in! you sure if tomlin were to do something like that you would praise him???
    Whatever. Whatever decision Tomlin makes is a wrong one in this ******bags mind. Who cares what this troll thinks. They need to label him as a troll and move on.

  10. #10
    rockcr's Avatar
    Status : rockcr is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Nov 23, 2009
    Location : rockford,il
    Posts : 1,015
    Threads : 52
    Last Online : Oct-03-2015 @ 09:45 AM
    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    several grammatical/spelling errors:

    1) If is isn't broken (If it isn't broken)

    2) And then the Steelers defense, on the verge of giving up more points, forced a Brees' fumble and gave their defense a chance to win the game. ) should have been "offense"

    3)New Orelans (New Orleans)
    oh..

  11. #11
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Now come on, guys... Differing opinions is to be expected, but please don't act like youngsters in the sandbox... This is NOT the Trib, and I will not allow it to become the cesspool that was over there... Now I know that some people don't care for the rules, but it's just the way it is here... I'm sorry, but there just isn't any debate on that...

    Please guys...

    Every Patron won't get along with each other or share each others views, however that doesn't mean that the entire Tavern must be brought down because of this. Please be mindful and respectful of all of the other patrons at PST regarding your actions and reactions. Failure to do so will result in a First Offense Warning.

    If you are are just joking around with another Patron, please include an emoticon/smiley at the end of your posting. This is the most effective way in a non-verbal environment to help convey emotions for others to see. Failure to do this will force Pittsburgh Sports Tavern Management into action by issuing a First Offense Warning.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  12. #12
    foslrock's Avatar
    Status : foslrock is offline
    Rank : 1st Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 18, 2009
    Location : Tennessee
    Posts : 1,784
    Threads : 140
    Last Online : Jun-15-2015 @ 07:24 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    It's one thing to pretend to be a fan, when you're masking yourself as a troll, and the mods here put up with it and don't label him as it.

    Here's the walking contradiction. I get labeled as trolling in the pirates forum for being critical over there, yet this guy doesnt get the same treatment.

    So bashing the Steelers is ok, but not the pirates. GOT IT!

  13. #13
    JerryGlanville's Avatar
    Status : JerryGlanville is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Nov 16, 2009
    Posts : 2,786
    Threads : 49
    Last Online : Sep-12-2014 @ 03:43 PM

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    This article gets a thumbs down from me. I'm getting a little tired of the propaganda type articles from the local media in Pittsburgh without any real insight or critical observations.

    What exactly was the point of this article? That Tomlin really hasn't put his imprint on the Steelers because if "ain't broke don't fix it"? The Steelers were most definitely outcoached last night so I'm not sure that this is the time to really point that out and make it seem like it's a compliment.

    And pointing out that the Steelers stopped the Saints running game doesn't mean much when the Saints were down to backup RB's, don't run the ball well and Brees was 20/22 in the 2nd half.

  14. #14
    bdeff's Avatar
    Status : bdeff is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 15, 2009
    Location : Truth or Consequences, NM
    Posts : 2,341
    Threads : 164
    Last Online : Apr-10-2015 @ 09:10 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's one thing to pretend to be a fan, when you're masking yourself as a troll, and the mods here put up with it and don't label him as it.

    Here's the walking contradiction. I get labeled as trolling in the pirates forum for being critical over there, yet this guy doesnt get the same treatment.

    So bashing the Steelers is ok, but not the pirates. GOT IT!
    While I disagree with the same member very often, I don't believe him to be a "troll". Just not all Steelers fans see things the same way, and in many cases it seems as if its 180 degree difference in opinion.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

  15. #15
    Les's Avatar
    Status : Les is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 10, 2009
    Location : Secane,Pa.
    Posts : 10,207
    Threads : 48
    Last Online : Jul-04-2017 @ 07:08 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Even in defeat, Tomlin deserves praise

    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tomlin can suck the praise from my dick.


    Even for you,this was low,LVG.Seriously.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •